Thread: Aprilia SR50 Alitalia edition Carb issue

apriliaforum newb

Aprilia SR50 Alitalia edition Carb issue

Hi all

Thanks for taking time out of your day to read my post. It's a bit of a strange one and any assistance will be greatly appreciated before I start throwing a bottomless pit of money at my bike.

I have a 2011 SR50 Alitalia edition. I have owned the bike from new and has given me many miles of joy. Recently the bike had been sitting for about 10 months.

I have just taken the bike to a motorcycle repair garage in which they have stripped the carb cleaned it and set it up again. I am now facing a new problem unfortunately and I am loathed to take the bike back to them because they constantly moaned about how Aprilia bikes are fiddly and horrible to work on.

My new issue is that the bike starts fine, ticks over and away we go. After about 2-3 miles the bike will hold revs on it's own whilst i'm riding and if i come off the throttle and back on there will be a delay in acceleration again. If i stop because of some traffic lights the bike will stall and not start again for a few minutes. If i start the bike with the automatic choke plugged in and then disconnect it after the bike has warmed up I can go about 5-6 miles and then suddenly the bike starts to splutter and struggles to accelerate and again will stall.

The garage I went to tested the automatic choke but said that it was fine. I am stumped.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated on how to solve this.

Thanks

Ashley

apriliaforum expert
    i will try. for starters the mechanics dont like 2 strokes because they are not smart enough to keep up. the cvt transmission is the same story.
    ----
    - with that said i think a good two stroke tune up will fix it. i am concerned the carb restrictor has been removed and needs an upjet but its hard to say reading your complaints.

---------------
    -better pull the idle jet and toothpick it clean since all your problems point to that. i would try this first as a guess.
    --- diploma for engine repair in 2012 ---

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

previous vehicles - subaru legacy turbo 1991 - mazda mx6 turbo 1990.

apriliaforum Member
    id agree with sub...if you pull that idle jet and clean it i bet its clogged
    2004 Aprilia Mojito Retro 50cc
    2003 Vespa ET2 50cc
    2001 Triumph TT600
    1993 Yamaha Razz 50cc

apriliaforum newb
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The mechanics definitely don't like 2 stroke bikes and they especially didn't like Aprilia bikes because they're apparently 'Fiddly'

The bike is running the standard jet. I have changed the exhaust to a sports one so in theory I should upjet it but the bike ran perfectly fine for 2 years since changing the exhaust without the upjet so never bothered with it.

regarding the idle jet, is this located inside the carb itself so would need taking off the bike again? I've booked the bike in with a different mechanic who actually sounded like he wanted the job and thinks he can solve the issue fairly quickly.

Regards,
    Ashley

apriliaforum newb
    Oh, Another thing that I've just remembered. The black plastic screen on the outside of the carb which i think adjusts the idle? Cannot be twisted anymore to the right. If i twist it to the left the revs drop and the bike stalls?

apriliaforum expert
    ok. better do a compression check - you might need a new top end/cylinder kit.

--
    clean the idle jet and rejet the mainjet. these two you could do yourself if your handy. you will need a main jet kit from a scooter parts shop. the 60-80 kit in the 6mm size for dellorto phva carbs.

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

apriliaforum expert
    what sport exhaust do you have? i feel like you should order a malossi 70cc kit and some main jets from 70-90 and call it a day. just have the mechanic install that and drive away with alot more power. it really depends on your new exhaust.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by sublunacy View Post
    what sport exhaust do you have? i feel like you should order a malossi 70cc kit and some main jets from 70-90 and call it a day. just have the mechanic install that and drive away with alot more power. it really depends on your new exhaust.
    I think i just have a Tecnigas Q-tre exhaust with some 5.5g malossi rollers. It's been a while since i installed it.

how much work is it to install a 70cc kit? Will i need to upgrade other components if I was to do this?

Thanks

apriliaforum expert
    holy cow. since its piaggio engine and transmission
    ~i am guessing it ran sporty but it would not go beyond 75kmh at the transmission/ rollers are too light.
    ~~ and if the jetting was not changed it might only get to 50-60kmh and the engine would lose power.

am i getting warmer?

---------
    the piaggios are made for 70cc bbk and an exhaust with peak power at 8000rpm - not beyond. the transmission needs the stock rollers not lighter ones. a 70cc kit and a torque pipe is all that is needed to finish what the factory started.

---
    good job with the exhaust. i looked at the dynos again and i think the airsal sport 70cc kit is going to run well. it is not a high compression kit and it sells for about 100usd. you use your stock head wich keeps the cost down.

-
    airsal sport bbk
    34 idle jet
    6mm main jets 70-90
    rollers at stock weight. i believe that is 7.5 grams in the 19mm diameter.
    Last edited by sublunacy; 06-02-2017 at 10:17 AM.

apriliaforum newb
    Hey,
    It run's very sports are is pretty quick on the acceleration, The bike does reach 80kmh but does seem to lose power at the top end. If i'm going uphill the bike will drop to about 65kmph and then take a while to get back up to speed.

apriliaforum expert
    yes well racingplanet.uk might give you free shipping at 100eur.
    ---
    im not cylinder compression gauge - i am good at spending money wisely / i explained both jets are suspect problems. last i heard it was 50 dollars minimum charge to get a mechanic to lift a finger.

~ add a 34 idle jet to the list and replace the stock 32 with the 70cc kit install. ~

------

+ im worried tuning a 70cc is to difficult in wich case you should finish what you started ~