Thread: SR50 Motard Repeated Breakdown/Cutting out

apriliaforum newb

SR50 Motard Repeated Breakdown/Cutting out

Hi All,

I have a 2014 Aprilia SR50 Motard scooter, as far as I can tell the only modification is a larger bore exhaust -I haven't owned from new. It's run fine for the last 18months but this last week has left me wanting to push it into the nearest river.

The bike will start ok. idle is a little off (it does cut out occasionally) but generally ok, 5-10minutes into a ride and generally at around 30mph it will drop revs for a second or two then cut out and can't be restarted.

The first time it happened I suspected plug/coil/lead so changed them, also bunged a new airfilter on. It ran fine for a day. Then did it again. So after the second time, pushing it home the 2 miles up-hill! I restarted it with some easy start, let it get warm then put some carb cleaner through while running. It ran better than ever, for 2 days, then it did it again. It's been picked up this morning and I'm informed it started and ran fine (the 10 yards into my drive).

As the thing runs fine from cold - I'm thinking it's a choke issue? Scenario 1 - blockage means bike is running off the choke only and main jet is blocked (is this even possible?) / Scenario 2 -Choke is failed open and flooding engine when hot (doesn't stink of fuel but there is a noticeable drip on the left side of the bike after running which seems to be a mixture of fuel and 2-stroke)

Does anyone else have any ideas - I don't want to blindly pay some mechanic to swap parts out, I don't really know anyone I can trust to do the work.

Thanks in advance.

apriliaforum newb

SR50 motard cutting out when hot and won't restart

(3rd time lucky writing this post!)

I have a 2014 Aprilia Motard SR50, no mods except larger bore exhaust. I think it's a rebadged piaggio typhoon.

The bike is cutting out when getting to temperature and then won't restart. Once cold it will start no problem, like it's mocking me!

I've changed plug (which was black and fouled), ht lead, coil unit, airfilter. After the breakdown I started it and sprayed some carb cleaner through and it ran fine for 2 days (4 x 2 mile commutes). Then it did it again.

The bike also has a drip from around the area of the overflow pipe on the left, but above it, I can't see exactly where from. This seemed worse immediately after getting it running again. It drips after running when left standing, but thats just some context, I'm not sure if it's relevant to the cutting out issue.

I'm suspecting a choke problem: scenario 1 - bike runs on choke but dies when choke is closed/ blocked jet? scenario 2 - choke is permanently open and bike floods once hot?

Does anyone have any experience of similar?

Thanks for your help in advance.

apriliaforum expert Louder North's Avatar
    You are asking this question in the Ditech Forum; you should be posting your issues in the carb Forum.
    2007 SR 50 Ditech (Morini) 19,000 kms AND 2011 SR 50 Ditech (Piaggio) 2000 kms
    Buzzetti side stand 03/18/12
    Porter Cable water trap 06/19/12
    ECU completely derestricted ver 2.8.0 08/10/12)
    LV ZX-R 09/10/12 - repaired and painted 10/18/14
    Motul Scooter Power 2T oil
    NGK ZMR7AP spark plug, indexed, gapped to .030
    Malossi Multivar 2000 w. 7.5 gm Dr. Pulley sliders (13/06/15), Malossi Special Belt, White contrast spring @ 8000 km 11/12/12,
    Malossi X K belt, front brake pads @19,000 km 06/15/17
    8mm Mirror Riser Extender 05/12/2013
    Michelin Power Pure tires @ 9000 km 05/18/2013, replaced @19,000 07/19/2017
    HGT adjustable fuel pressure regulator 06/08/2013
    90 kph on slight down hill; 103 kph fastest ever going down hill

apriliaforum expert
    clean the carb and remove the carb jets/ clean it all with wd40 and get a fuel filter. when the carb is off report the main jet size/ and report the airbox mods if there are some. i assume the carb restrictor is removed allready.
    --- diploma for engine repair in 2012 ---

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

previous vehicles - subaru legacy turbo 1991 - mazda mx6 turbo 1990.

apriliaforum expert
    it sounds dirty and lean at the mainjet so just follow the above

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by sublunacy View Post
    it sounds dirty and lean at the mainjet so just follow the above
    Ok thanks. I'll get that done. No good with this stuff, in fact I'm struggling to strip the body down enough to access the carb!

apriliaforum newb
    It seems the issue was a split vacuum hose on the fuel tap. The carb has been cleaned but apparently it was clean anyway, an inline fuel filter has been fitted.

Now I have another issue! the darn thing won't idle from cold - it's not cold here at the moment - generally above 15oc. When starting from cold, if the throttle isn't kept open slightly, the bike will struggle to idle then die. Once I've run it down the road for 5 mins it will happily idle for the rest of the journey? Any ideas?

apriliaforum Member
    couple things to look at.....maybe your choke is dirty...and/or your idle jet is clogged.... do a super duper carb clean, paying extra attention to the idle jet and the choke (im betting its the choke)
    2004 Aprilia Mojito Retro 50cc
    2003 Vespa ET2 50cc
    2001 Triumph TT600
    1993 Yamaha Razz 50cc

apriliaforum newb
    Back again. We thought we had it, but this scooter is determined that I lose my tiny mind! The bike now, if left for a few hours after a run will crank but not fire and show no signs of wanting to fire. Leave it 12 hours and it will start and run no problem! We've got fuel, spark, good compression, vacuum, good battery, replaced all ignition components - what am I missing here?!!!!

apriliaforum expert
    fix the fuel leaks. get a new sparkplug

--
    what filter/carb/exhaust do you have because it should be doing 45 miles an hour period. so what jetting you using?

apriliaforum Member
    definitely related to fuel....i bet you are fouling your spark plug and thats why it runs for a bit then wont start.....if it does it again, pull your plug and take a pic for us.....put in a new one or dry yours then try again...i bet it will start.......if this is the case you are running rich...see sublunacy's post above...let us know what carb and main jet...if you are running the stock airbox with stock filter...and if you running a stock exhaust..
    2004 Aprilia Mojito Retro 50cc
    2003 Vespa ET2 50cc
    2001 Triumph TT600
    1993 Yamaha Razz 50cc