Thread: Help needed: 2001 Scarabeo 50 2t re-assembly

apriliaforum newb

Unhappy Help needed: 2001 Scarabeo 50 2t re-assembly

Warning: I have -zero- experience working on two-strokes of any kind, but I can follow directions and I'm fairly competent with tools.

Long story short - I'm helping my sister out by cleaning up her scooter and doing the maintenance that the local dealership/maintenance shop didn't do. Her scooter went in the shop running, and came back non-running 9 months later, partially disassembled. Her kickstarter was rusted in place, hoses disconnected, and oil/grease leaked all over, etc - the original problems it went in for (headlight burnt out, broken turn signal stem, and slipping clutch) were NEVER done. We even provided some parts.

I managed to get things taken apart fairly easy and the engine cleaned up with 3 rounds of power washing. I even got the 540Y 2000-2006 parts catalog because some of the parts needed replacement from negligent damage.

My problem is this: I had take pictures of where all the hoses went so I could reassemble the scooter, but my phone died a horrible death and I no longer have that reference. Now I have no way to find out what hoses go from A to B, and where A and B are even located. There are also a couple bullet connectors on the electrical harness that I dont know the order of.

I know the parts catalog shows /some/ hose connections on the carb, but the catalog doesn't show where the other end of that hose connect to

Oil and Fuel tank diagram
    Fuel tank Part 4 - Vacuum fuel tap with two different sized hoses coming off it.. but where do they go?
    Fuel tank Part 7 - Fuel Glass Cup has one hose coming off it..
    Fuel tank Part 10 - shows two hoses?
    Oil Tank Part 5 - one hose out the neck of the filler
    Oil Tank Part 6 - filter assembly has one hose off the bottom

Air Box diagram - shows a hose coming off the side of the carb with a collar instead of a clamp. ( I think i know where this goes on the carb, but not the other end)

Supply - Oil Pump diagram
    Part 12 - Fuel Pipe (has weird plastic thing on the tip) - what does this connect to on the carb?
    Part 9 - Oil pump assembly - one line to carb, one line to oil tank

This scooter is my sister's pride and joy (and primary mode of transportation), and I'd love the help getting it running again.

apriliaforum expert
    no problem. where do you want to start?
    --- diploma for engine repair in 2012 ---

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

previous vehicles - subaru legacy turbo 1991 - mazda mx6 turbo 1990.

apriliaforum newb
    I suppose I should work from the carb up, since that has to go back on before I put anything else back in place. Her scooter has the air-cooled dellorto 17.5 carb with a manual choke.

It looks almost exactly like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071HPS2BF - except this carb has three brass barbs on the front, and my sister's only has one.

I guess on the 'top' of the carb, there's two cables that get screwed on. There's two different sized brass barbs on top that sit beside these cables.
    On the front (side with the screws in the carb body), there's a single brass barb with a long brass body that sticks out from the carb body. I think this gets the hose with the metal collar that goes back into the engine somewhere (oil pump line?).
    On the front is also a hose stem molded into the carb body as well. it sits right beside the single brass barb.
    On the bottom of the carb (float bowl?) there's also a hose stem molded into the plastic cap.

If you have access to the parts catalog images, 29.47 Oil Pump, shows a short line comprised of a 5.5x10 fuel line and a plastic tip called the Anti-condensate breather. I think this attaches to the carb on one of those locations as well as another short elbow shaped hose that is clipped off like a drain.

apriliaforum newb
    That is not the original carb for your scooter but I can help you the best I can. The original should be he Dellorto 12 PHBN but it is good that it has been upgraded.
    You should have 4 hoses to hookup; fuel, vacuum, oil, 90 degree overflow drain hose and maybe?? also a straight hose coming out the bottom of the fuel basin(stock does not have this).
    The oil hose is small and hooks up to the very small brass barb that sticks out horizontally from the carb.
    You should have two hoses coming off the fuel tap. A fuel hose and a vacuum hose. The vacuum hose is on the bottom of the tap and is slightly smaller than the fuel hose which comes out the side of the tap. The fuel hose hooks up to the slightly larger brass barb than the vacuum line and this barb should be more on the air filter side of the carb.
    The vacuum hose line should hook up to the the slightly smaller barb and this should be more toward the motor side of the carb.
    There are some models of the 17.5 Dellorto that have two additional horizontal barbs sticking out the neck. These barbs will look identical in size to each other and in the casting of the carburetor that they protrude from. These can be used for cooling the carburetor on liquid cooled scooters. You would leave these open with nothing attached to them.
    Finally, the angled overflow hose hooks up to an overflow drain barb that sticks out horizontally from the neck of the carburetor. Obviously if you have a fitting on the bottom of the fuel basin you will attach the drain hose here.

Another comment. The stock air box that fits to the carb is very tight fitting and as it gets old is very difficult to take on and off. It also becomes quite brittle and you can easily tear the accordion hose where it attaches to carb. A tear in the hose will cause the scooter to run poorly. I recommend that you use a razor or knife and cut a bevel in the accordion hose end so it slips on and off the carb easily. Keep beveling and trying it so that you get a good fit. Also inspect to see that you have no tears in this hose and silicone them up if you do.

apriliaforum expert
    -
    there should be one oil line to the carb. you should pull the belt cover off/ you will see the oil pump - it goes to a carb barb that has a small hole in it like a idle jet.

--
    the fuel pump is on the tank/ one line is vacuum - it goes to the big carb neck barb. the other is fuel supply - goes to carb float valve barb.

---
    the barb on the very bottom is the fuel drain screw. use it once every winter to drain the carb float and keep it dry all winter.

----
    see where that gets you.

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

apriliaforum newb
    Looks like I need to replace all the hoses while I have this thing taken apart. They slipped on over the barbs /with/ the clamps still on them. Strangely, I cant find any reference to a part number for the hoses, or what size they are, or what kind I should even replace them with - polyurethane, pvc, buna/nitrile, tygon, etc?

Sadly I cant get to the oil pump without finding a way to remove the magneto assembly first, though I did find instructions here

One more thing to add to the list of parts to buy. Found out the piston rings were broken. Wish I knew wtf happened to this scooter while it was in the shop.
    Last edited by CrashFF; 05-27-2017 at 08:38 PM.

apriliaforum expert
    just low pressure fuel line from an auto shop for fuel.

the vacuum lines should be replaced with windsheild washer hose.

---
    if you get a decent brand like gates - they will be good for alc/petrol no problem.

----------------------
    if the top end needs servicing i suggest you buy a 50cc-70cc cylinder such as an airsal sport. or you can try a tnt piston kit wich are cheap.
    -dont bother trying to get aftermarket rings for the stock piston. they generally do not fit correct.
    ---------
    -piston kits run about 20-50 dollars depending what quality you buy.

-50-70cc cylinder kits are 100-200 for the top shelf parts - and maybe 60-80 for a economy 50cc cylinder replacement.

~if the scarebo has a small carb then stick with the 50cc kit. if it has the big dellorto phva 17.5mm then the whole bike is ready for a 70cc cylinder. take a picture of the carb if it helps.

ttyl

apriliaforum newb
    The carb is a PHBN 17.5. I'm going to replace the entire piston and cylinder, since I dont know if/how much damage was done to the cylinder wall. I dont want to risk breaking or scoring up more piston rings. The piston head has some visible dings in it around the lip as well.

Sis had me order a 70cc kit. Should I have to change the carb jet at all? It's a #70 right now.
    Last edited by CrashFF; 05-31-2017 at 08:25 PM.

apriliaforum expert
    try scootertuning.com or racingplanet.com for free shipping.

if your using the stock pipe - for sure get the airsal sport 70cc bbk ang use you stock head. its only about 100usd. you need a jet kit from 70-90 so you can try maybe a 76-82 main jet. get a couple new sparkplugs also. i like the champions for aircooled.

---
    is it a piaggio labeled engine or a aprilia badged. just double checking for setup....???