Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: RS setup for kart track racing

apriliaforum Junkie

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

apriliaforum Junkie
    Finished off a system to hold down the dummy fuel tank.
    The rear peg has been drilled for a R-clip and the front has a battery strap holding it down to a bracket fabbed from stainless wire.

Still got to make something to support the front of the fuel tank cover and write a list of jobs to complete this round of mods.

Then some shake down runs at the track hopefully.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I've had 2 track outings since the last post.
    Ended up ditching the battery iliminator because of faulty wires and converting it to total loss ignition instead.
    I removed the stator, reg/rec and all the magnets from the flywheel. I also lightened the flywheel by trimming the starter gear and machined the back off, up to the trigger.
    An 8-cell lithium battery powers the bike now and is sitting in a custom alloy battery box.

Pirelli SC1 super corser tyres were fitted and captive wheel spacers were made for the rear and the rear axel lightened as well as the rear cush drive.
    17/55 gearing has closed up the gear ratios nicely also.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Unfortunately I couldn't get the Zeeltronic working I had, so I wired up the oem CDI. I couldn't get the powervalve working with the stock CDI as it plugs into the 3 yellow stator wires so it was ridden with the PV wired in the open position.
    With the raised compression ratio, stock ignition map and no PV it had quite a narrow powerband that signed off quite early.
    The short gearing and some clutch abuse kept it punching out of the slow corners reasonably well.
    I'm hoping to build a new wiring harness, get the replacement Zeeltronic running and change the fork oil to 5W from the 2.5W currently fitted.
    I also robbed the powerjet solenoid from my 38mm PWK and made an adapter piece to convert the Intelajet into a switchable powerjet controlled by the Zeel.
    I've ordered some electrical wire with colours matching the Zeeltronic so that the wiring diagram is built from the Zeel colour codes and not the oem Aprillia colours.
    Deutsch connectors will be used throughout and the harness will have all the functions that the Zeel has built into the harness.

apriliaforum expert
    You need to run a earth circuit connecting all the earths and going back to the -ve side of the battery
    If jesus had ridden,he would have rode a two stroke

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by 2T Institute View Post
    You need to run a earth circuit connecting all the earths and going back to the -ve side of the battery
    Yep done that Lozza. Schematic is drawn that way just for simplicity.

Got it fired up and checked static timing.
    1.15mm piston travel measured on dial gauge, marked flywheel and stobed marks with a 15 degree flat curve.
    Ended up with 36 degrees static angle compensation.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

apriliaforum Junkie
    I shortened the EGT cable as well, as the excess wire was wrapped up in a loop tucked in under the tank previously.
    All functions that the Zeel hosts are wired into the new harness and all wiring is colour coded to the Zeeltronic CDI.

Deutsche DT and DTM plugs are used throughout and the harness was made to try and make the bike easier to work on by placing all the connectors external to the frame.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Only the MAP switch and the electronic powerjet are hooked up at the moment.

Current map is set to the red curve in the pic.

Weighed the bike today and got 106kg with no fuel.
    Weight split is
    Front 52-kg
    Rear 54.5-kg
    So much for forward weight bias!

I have been thinking of going to the trouble of remaking the fuel tank anyway to give more room for the airbox. Shifting it forward in the process, as well as removing the heavy steel subframe should shift the weight forward.
    Not that weight distribution is an issue at the moment!

Using the Racetech calculator for an RGV and RS250 (they don't list the 125 in their online spring rate calculator) I came up with a recommended fork spring rate of 0.55kg/mm.
    Assuming the calculator has some validity I'm not to far off with my current single spring of 1.0kg/mm.
    Will see if I can find a single 1.2kg/mm spring from one of the suspension mobs latter on.

I'm going to go to 10wt oil in my fork (only one cartridge remember!) To see if I can get the clickers in a more usuable range as I'm quite far in on them at the moment with the current 2.5wt oil.

I'll be using the same brand of oil (Silkolene Pro RSF) so to not get any discrepancies with the Cst rating difference between brands for the same Wt rating.

I've also got some Ferodo racing organic front pads to try as a possible fix to the hot performance of the sintered OEM ZX6r pads currently fitted.

And the next project is going to be a second radiator and an electric water pump. I don't know yet if some of the 15 liter/per minute pumps I have been looking at are going to draw to much power from the 8-cell battery to be viable.
    A fan thermo switch that cuts in at 50 degrees Celsius and off at 45 degrees might save some battery power in the pits though.

Hopefully a ride to test the changes will eventuate before I go back to work.
    Be interesting to see how much clutch abuse is needed now with a working powervalve and a decent ignition curve.

apriliaforum expert
    there is 5kgs in the pipe, the shock needs to be longer, there are 50 l/min electric pumps, a bigger rad to get the water temp down to 50 in a race
    If jesus had ridden,he would have rode a two stroke

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345