Thread: Thoughts on a Hyper?

Thoughts on a Hyper?

Ducati Demo Day rolled into LA this past weekend, and being bike-addicted as I am I went out for as many rotations as they'd let me sneak in on whatever bike available. I got in four runs total: Multi, Multi 950, Hyper, then a Multi again.

The Hyper was the oddest to sit on--it felt like laying your junk right on top of the tank--but once we got going ho-leee shit was that thing fun. It was in "sport" mode so the throttle was snatchy and it wanted to wheelie at every opportunity (we were under strict no wheelie-no stoppie orders), but attempting to tame that spunky little thing easily gave me the most fun I'd had all the day.

Bike fever soon ensued. The dealer has a used 2014 SP listing for $10K; it's got some silly-to-me "bike bling" (who takes off the hand guards and adds a rizoma reservoir and a carbon fiber mudguard to a supermoto?) but $10 sounds better than $14 so I'm considering a test ride (tomorrow).

A friend with a cooler head said he's heard they've got reliability issues, so I thought I'd poll you guys on it. While there I'm going to take out a DD for comparison as well. (A couple years ago it came down to an 899 or an RSV4 and I'd say that choice has worked out pretty well.)

Oh, it bears mentioning potential use for this bike: I'd trade in the FZ-07 I use for daily commuting, and the hyper would do double duty as the nimble around town bike and canyon toy. I'd track the ape, since that's where it wants to be anyways. (I've avoided speeding tickets thus far and I'd love to keep it that way.)

What do you think?
    2014 RSV4 R aPRC | Matte Black

apriliaforum prov-nov
    i test rode the 939 HM and loved it, want one. i have seen lots of problem reports on the 821 though.

What kind of issues? Since it's potentially replacing the daily rider, being issue-prone would be a deal killer.

apriliaforum expert
    The HMs are some fun. I owned a DD and have tested several HMs. The new 821/939s are a different bike than the 1100 air cooled ones. Back to back, the DD isn't even that close, it has less power, more weight. Why did I buy the DD, it is a lot cheaper and when I had mine the HM was still air cooled and the new 821s had just come out.

The issues are all electronic, mostly the throttle demand sensor and in a few cases the ECU/dash. '13s seemed to be the worst. The Monster 821 came out and it seems they have improved a few of those issues.
    2014 Tuono

Previous:
    2013 CB500X
    06 GSXR 750
    2009 SMV750
    2006 Ducati 749
    07 SXV5.5
    05 DRZ400SM
    04 RSVR
    94 Honda ST100
    03 SV650 Track bike
    01 Mille
    00 GSXR750

Thoughts on a Hyper?

Thanks for the info. I took out the '14 hyper I linked in the original post--it felt even taller than the new 939 and the throttle response was def snatchy. Wasn't a fan. Dealer has discounts on new hyperstradas since its being discontinued due to baby multi. Will try out that and a DD this weekend to see if I still feel the magic.

apriliaforum expert
    I loved the HS. When they first came out, I had paperwork written up, but the OTD price of over $16K was too much. Now, used market has them very reasonable.

With the issues, the problems just pop up with no warnings or hints. If I would buying one, I might consider a warranty. The other issue
    with Ducati is the cost of aftermarket (exhaust especially).
    2014 Tuono

Previous:
    2013 CB500X
    06 GSXR 750
    2009 SMV750
    2006 Ducati 749
    07 SXV5.5
    05 DRZ400SM
    04 RSVR
    94 Honda ST100
    03 SV650 Track bike
    01 Mille
    00 GSXR750

Thoughts on a Hyper?

I hear that--warranty on a duc was something I definitely had in mind as well. That's another case against it as the daily rider. The warranty is needed for a reason.

$16k OTD sounds outrageous to me as well. Although I found a custom one on cycle trader (a reg hyper, not a strada) that was listed at $25k, So I guess outrageous is relative.

Will demo one soon and update the thread. Thanks for the replies.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    westlake ducati will let you take bikes out on your own, test ride them all! BMW newbury park also.

I ride for Ducati on those said demo days as a control rider. This year I got a good deal of seat time on the new Hyper SP, including a lunch rip without the groups. The regular hyper is as you said, totally uncomfortable to the male anatomy. It is more tame for the street though. The seat on the SP is almost worth the upgrade alone.

The one on the tour has a Termi exhaust... in race mode the thing is WAY too easy to hoon it up, it is a wheelie MACHINE. I was pulling power wheelies just coming off of stop signs in second and had to reprimand people all weekend that rode the thing. The Ducati NA guy on the tour says it is his favorite bike in the lineup but he simply can't allow himself to have it as his regular due to imminent loss of license.

And man it is a pretty bike. I imagine a fun future with this thing on a motoholder on the back of a truck hitting tracks around the nation. It would be a great commuter as well due to the comfort.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4424.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	527.1 KB 
ID:	333495

apriliaforum expert MamboItaliono's Avatar
    Haha that's pretty cool

Anything Ducati SP is out of my price range, but I like to drool and window shop

That looks like a really good candidate for something to trade the ZX10 for, thanks a lot.
    When the river is low they find old bones, when they plow they always dig up chains

apriliaforum expert cggunnersmate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rvee View Post
    I ride for Ducati on those said demo days as a control rider. This year I got a good deal of seat time on the new Hyper SP, including a lunch rip without the groups. The regular hyper is as you said, totally uncomfortable to the male anatomy. It is more tame for the street though. The seat on the SP is almost worth the upgrade alone.

The one on the tour has a Termi exhaust... in race mode the thing is WAY too easy to hoon it up, it is a wheelie MACHINE. I was pulling power wheelies just coming off of stop signs in second and had to reprimand people all weekend that rode the thing. The Ducati NA guy on the tour says it is his favorite bike in the lineup but he simply can't allow himself to have it as his regular due to imminent loss of license.

And man it is a pretty bike. I imagine a fun future with this thing on a motoholder on the back of a truck hitting tracks around the nation. It would be a great commuter as well due to the comfort.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4424.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	527.1 KB 
ID:	333495
    One of my current shipmates has one of these, it is a sharp looking bike, he's got the Termi high mount exhaust. I'll ask his thoughts and if he's had any issues.
    Brent
    Chief Gunnersmate
    U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
    Orlando Area
    '12 Tuono V4
    '03 Tuono (For Sale)
    '01 Speed Triple (RIP) 8/26/11
    '98 GSXR 600 (traded for the Tuoldo)
    '86 VFR Interceptor (died in Puerto Rico 20 years ago)

apriliaforum Junkie
    I have not ridden one, but got spanked by someone riding a full SP model on Sunday up the Crest. That thing sure handled damn good. I would have one for a fun toy. Not sure I would want it as a daily rider thou?

Must admit they look awesome in the flesh.
    Aprilia-less!

apriliaforum expert cggunnersmate's Avatar
    My shipmate loves his, no issues except for the occasional false neutral but the bike is newish still.
    Brent
    Chief Gunnersmate
    U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
    Orlando Area
    '12 Tuono V4
    '03 Tuono (For Sale)
    '01 Speed Triple (RIP) 8/26/11
    '98 GSXR 600 (traded for the Tuoldo)
    '86 VFR Interceptor (died in Puerto Rico 20 years ago)

Thanks for the feedback, fellas. I got passed by one in the canyons this weekend as well--and I was on my buddy's RR with race ECU thinking I was hauling a fair amount of ass. Those things can certainly turn corners.