Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Track Day

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by turboblew View Post
    Unfortunately you are going to realize now that street riding is absolutely useless. You might even structure your fitness around track riding...lol.
    I think I will still enjoy my useless street riding....just not with the same bikes I take to the track. My Griso is probably the best all-around street bike I've ever owned, but I don't get the urge to push its limits. The fitness thing is definately a consideration....I still ride a pedal bike, and go running several times a week, and I curtail alcohol consumption as track day, or group rides approach.

apriliaforum expert
    Glad you enjoyed it! It's a slippery slope

apriliaforum newb
    Slippery slope, I'll say! Just completed track day number five! Rode the Daytona for the first 3...Loudon, Palmer, Loudon. Then I tried the Aprilia at Loudon. Back to the Daytona for Palmer.
    I'm pretty comfortable on both, but favor the suspension, brakes, and riding position on the Daytona. The extra power of the Tuono is nice, though. So far, my confidence level only permits passing on long straights, and if I get stuck behind someone the Tuono excels. The fifth session was a revelation for me. Started to really focus on body position, and I quickly went from upright and clenching on for dear life to feeling more relaxed and fluid. The classroom talk eventually sank in, too. In two weeks, I try out a new track in Tamworth, NH. A week later, it is Thompson, Ct...also new to me.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowandBlack View Post
    Slippery slope, I'll say! Just completed track day number five! Rode the Daytona for the first 3...Loudon, Palmer, Loudon. Then I tried the Aprilia at Loudon. Back to the Daytona for Palmer.
    I'm pretty comfortable on both, but favor the suspension, brakes, and riding position on the Daytona. The extra power of the Tuono is nice, though. So far, my confidence level only permits passing on long straights, and if I get stuck behind someone the Tuono excels. The fifth session was a revelation for me. Started to really focus on body position, and I quickly went from upright and clenching on for dear life to feeling more relaxed and fluid. The classroom talk eventually sank in, too. In two weeks, I try out a new track in Tamworth, NH. A week later, it is Thompson, Ct...also new to me.
    Dang! You're getting out!! Yea, relaxing is important; loose on the bars so the bike can do the work.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Good on you!

Try a few different organizations; think of is as cross-training.

Class rides by Reg Pridmore is great. More geared for the street.

California Superbike school (keith code) is also superb, geared more for fast lap times.

Fly to Cali, rent a bike (dubbelju/Rent-a-Ducati) and do a track day.

Welcome to the addiction.

People should definitely be forewarned that your first trackday is a gateway into this drug. I recently did level 1 with California Superbike School as my introduction to track riding. My buddy and I are already booked up for our second day coming up on the 24th (same track). If we don't make one final one before the end of the season it's going to be a winter of prep for hopefully many more next year.

I was considering buying a new Tuono, now I'm thinking money much better well spent will be on proper track prepped bike & trailer for next season to hit all the various tracks in the northeast. It didn't take much to get my mind thinking about it all the time. There's really nothing like riding on a challenging closed course!

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rvee View Post
    People should definitely be forewarned that your first trackday is a gateway into this drug. I recently did level 1 with California Superbike School as my introduction to track riding. My buddy and I are already booked up for our second day coming up on the 24th (same track). If we don't make one final one before the end of the season it's going to be a winter of prep for hopefully many more next year.

I was considering buying a new Tuono, now I'm thinking money much better well spent will be on proper track prepped bike & trailer for next season to hit all the various tracks in the northeast. It didn't take much to get my mind thinking about it all the time. There's really nothing like riding on a challenging closed course!
    said it all right there, this is a growing trend, there is a track day every day here between March and November, then it's off to Spain or Portugal in the winter.

Enjoy the drug
    Previous bikes : AR50 - AR80 - CB250N - RD350LC - RGV250 - VT400 - TDR250 - VIRAGO 535 - RF600 - RF900 - CBR600 - GSXR750 - TL1000R - T160 TRIUMPH - R1 - PIAGGIO - R6 - RC30 - 916SPS - VFR800 - 675 DAYTONA - CBR600RR - TL1000R - YZF750 - RSV4 FACTORY.

apriliaforum newb
    Well the track season is over...feeling a little sad. Skills much improved...most notably backing up with a trailer! Did 8 track days on 4 different tracks: Loudon, Palmer, Thompson and Tamworth. Traded my Buell Firebolt XB12R for an 1125R, and looking forward to trying it out next year. It's all about body position work, and getting looser and more relaxed. May have to schedule a track day vacation to California or Florida to make it through the winter.

apriliaforum expert
    Well the track season is over...feeling a little sad. Skills much improved...most notably backing up with a trailer! Did 8 track days on 4 different tracks: Loudon, Palmer, Thompson and Tamworth. Traded my Buell Firebolt XB12R for an 1125R, and looking forward to trying it out next year. It's all about body position work, and getting looser and more relaxed. May have to schedule a track day vacation to California or Florida to make it through the winter.
    Let me know if you make it out to Cali for a track day; the season is just getting started here . I have a friend who rents R3s (set up for the track); sometimes has a 600 as well.

apriliaforum Member
    Jennings is pretty chill in the winter... leave on Thurs nite to arrive Friday... ride sat, sun, and monday for about $375 and drive home Tuesday.

apriliaforum newb
    2nd year riding track and i have less and less interest in riding street. Riding street has become to just riding to the coffee shop and socialize with people.

Quote Originally Posted by v10rider View Post
    2nd year riding track and i have less and less interest in riding street. Riding street has become to just riding to the coffee shop and socialize with people.
    Time to race then!
    WMRRA #98
    2013 KTM 990 SMT (street)
    2011 Aprilia RSV4 (race) For Sale: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ace-Track-Bike

apriliaforum newb
    I'd love to but I just cant afford the cost of racing. Basically the same/more than track days but with less riding. I put in a season racing mini/grom and that was cheap but just didnt give me the same thrill as the big bike. On top of that, I kinda got sick of the politics in our mini bike club. FFS, we were adults racing mini bikes and pretty sure everyone knew there was no motogp contract waiting LOL

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by v10rider View Post
    I'd love to but I just cant afford the cost of racing. Basically the same/more than track days but with less riding. I put in a season racing mini/grom and that was cheap but just didnt give me the same thrill as the big bike. On top of that, I kinda got sick of the politics in our mini bike club. FFS, we were adults racing mini bikes and pretty sure everyone knew there was no motogp contract waiting LOL
    track days are "ok"... but racing is far more satisfying. Especially those minutes after 3rd call your outlap and roll onto the grid. Plus everyone around you is looking to put a move on ya to take a position(or 3) away.

If you have someone to mix it up with at track days...thats about the most fun you can have.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by turboblew View Post
    Jennings is pretty chill in the winter... leave on Thurs nite to arrive Friday... ride sat, sun, and monday for about $375 and drive home Tuesday.
    How is Jennings in March, is it still reasonable or full up?
    Coming down from Canada for 3 days or more mid March.

Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast