Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Air Filter Off-Road

apriliaforum Member
    There is one on ebay right now from Canada, just single stage only. I think $50 ish

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin81 View Post
    I put the stock airbox back on with the horns.
    No dusting issues and in bull dust i had socks rubber banded over the horns and just dusted them off every fuel stop with my fingers. No oil on my home made pre filters but plenty on my air filter.
    Its silly but serves me well.
    thanks Joe
    I don't really have time to stop in a race and dust off the pre filter. And I probably will not remember, unless I get really poor engine performance. I'm going to hope for the best and use the sock method. Maybe a thin dress sock.
    I really don't like all the dirt/sand sitting on top the stock filter design trying to be pulled thru it. But I like the sound of the stock airbox lid as it muffles the engine/throttle body sound of all that air being suck down the engine.
    Assume the 2 stage AF1 filter will be the same with engine sound as the pipercross.

Not sure how dusty the next race will be as it is a new course and have no idea of the layout or terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash.Since1988 View Post
    thanks Joe
    I don't really have time to stop in a race and dust off the pre filter. And I probably will not remember, unless I get really poor engine performance. I'm going to hope for the best and use the sock method. Maybe a thin dress sock.
    I really don't like all the dirt/sand sitting on top the stock filter design trying to be pulled thru it. But I like the sound of the stock airbox lid as it muffles the engine/throttle body sound of all that air being suck down the engine.
    Assume the 2 stage AF1 filter will be the same with engine sound as the pipercross.

Not sure how dusty the next race will be as it is a new course and have no idea of the layout or terrain.
    Two stage filter mate. I have unifilters from here in au and works great.
    I have a race next weekend and entering as a iron man so only stopping for fuel. Not sure which bike to take lol the APE takes some man power on hard enduro events but a blast to ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170513_180018-756x1008.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	332793  

apriliaforum Member
    Good luck on the iron man!
    The RXV needs a good setup. 1st race was good for me, and I liked my overall setup. 2nd race, I didn't do a good job on suspension setup and the bike is undersprung for the moto tracks I'll see on some of the courses.

Next order from AF1, 2 stage filter, rear spring, front spring, fork oil.
    Then this summer I need a revalve on the suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash.Since1988 View Post
    Good luck on the iron man!
    The RXV needs a good setup. 1st race was good for me, and I liked my overall setup. 2nd race, I didn't do a good job on suspension setup and the bike is undersprung for the moto tracks I'll see on some of the courses.

Next order from AF1, 2 stage filter, rear spring, front spring, fork oil.
    Then this summer I need a revalve on the suspension.
    Thanks mate i will be stuffed by the end of the day!
    It is also forecast snow and i will take a backup bike just in case the the APE doesn't want to play cold starting.
    I found they are very soft but its perfect for me because im 60kg wet!! I just set the clickers on the rear and added a little more oil height in the front and it was sweet.
    I would have replied sooner but getting ready for tomorrow changing gear ratios. The procedure on this bike is a nightmare!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170513_202034-756x1008.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	332804  

apriliaforum Member
    Man if your at 60 kg, the bike is probably perfect in spring rate.
    I'm running the 12 L tank and i'm about 158 lbs (72kg). Tight woods i'm okay with spring rate. Wide open wooped out areas or any jumps i'm bottoming the shit out of the suspension. I hit one jump on the last race and it bottom and rebounded so hard it threw me up off the pegs. Made for an exciting landing.

Capture some video of your iron man and good luck!

Hopefully you got the cold start down. The cold solenoid kit works well and I don't have any issues anymore. Just make sure the hose isn't kinked.

apriliaforum newb
    Question: RXV 450 was mapped but does it need mapping again after a Pipercross filter mod (delete air box lid)?

Not unless it was already on the lean side of the spectrum.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    We tend to have more mud, sand and water than dust most of the time. The way I like it. Just make sure filter is oiled properly. It has worked for me for 30 odd years

I almost forgot and i will probably get shot down for this.
    Make sure all the boots/rubbers and hose fittings are sealed properly. I used three bond on the hoses and grease on the boots to they are as air tight as i can get them. The cable entrance and the throttle body boots especially.

apriliaforum expert
    I had problems with dirt coming in where the cables enter the air box. I also couldn’t stop dirt passing through the K$N filters either. Twin skin foam filter work the best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12