Thread: engine brake opinions

apriliaforum Junkie aftriathlete's Avatar

engine brake opinions

I'm still deployed so I have heaps of time to wonder about such things. So I've only raced in Track mode (Corse ECU), and I'm very strong on the brakes, a credit to the bike as well as to my specific setup that probably sacrifices some side-to-side transition speed for the brake stability. With that said, I'm curious to give Race mode a try when I get back, but what should I expect? It's supposed to be even further engine braking reduction, but that's the only change as far as I know -- when very hard on the brakes to the point that the rear-wheel is coming off the track, is the engine braking helping to keep the rear in line? Or is that type of front braking force actually overbraking the engine braking, if you will, and the engine braking can't keep up with the brake force applied and actually lengthens your braking zone or makes your rear lose traction? Do you guys like more or less engine braking in general? I know a racer that loves engine braking, can't make a turn without it, and another guy that can't turn his engine braking down enough.
    Last edited by aftriathlete; 05-11-2017 at 05:22 AM.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

apriliaforum Junkie
    I think that engine braking is mostly a matter of personal preference. Opinions will vary of course but I don't think there is a huge difference in the three modes on the Aprilia. One thing to think about is that engine braking contributes little to the actual slowing down of the bike, the brakes are much more powerful. I prefer little engine braking, for one thing it stops the pogoing of on/off throttle transitions which are a problem on some Aprilias and other ride by wire throttles, this is especially important in corners where you don't want to upset the stability of the bike.

Cheers

Used to be sunny Durham, now dull and rainy Midlands, England
    I remember Freddie Spencer (supposedly) being quoted as saying - the engine is for making you go faster, the brakes are for slowing you down !

I think this was at the end of the 70's and hen Spencer was kid riding a KZ 1000. I've seen some video footage where he seemed brutal in the way he kept throttle WFO until the last possible moment, then pulled in the clutch and held it in while he braked as hard as he could and at last moment banged down through a load of gears before letting the clutch out and driving out of the corner on full throttle again.

I know he modified his approach as he developed as a racer, but I think at the time he rode that way because of (relatively) poor frames, suspension and skinny tyres. Today's bikes have solved these issues, so riding/cornering approaches have changed, but one thing that still seems the same is that every top rider has a different view on engine braking, how slipper clutches should be set up and how best to approach a corner, depending on tracks, bikes, tyres etc.

In a nutshell - I doubt there's one "correct" answer, but a thinking rider will always keep trying new approaches to improve (sometimes they work, sometimes they don't). I'd say just try everything you can and find out what works best for you.
    Cheers,

"I am a selfish, self-righteous tosser", a "fucking loser" and now an "absolute fucking idiot"

Me - '03 RSV Mille, '89 FJ 1200 x 2, & '75 TL 125 & Schweizer S300 CBi Helicopter
    Wife - '01 FZ1 (Fazer 1000), '86 VF 750 Interceptor and '07 CRF 230F
    Kids - '03 Fazer 600, GY 125 and CRF 100 off roaders, '10 Reiju RS2 50 Matrix Pro

apriliaforum Junkie aftriathlete's Avatar
    I will be trying Race mode when I get back to see how much difference it really is and what impact it makes on braking and making the brutally tight corners at the end of both the straights at Arroyo Seco. But until then I have to just sit around and think about it.

I know twins have much more engine braking than 4-cylinders, and with the relatively low reciprocating mass of the RR/RF engines compared to most I-4s, I definitely wouldn't say the current engine braking on Track mode is a problem. So I'm guessing the inertia of the moving engine parts transferred through the rear wheel isn't lengthening braking zones and it's not reducing traction at the rear because the engine is slowing down slower than the bike is when hard on the brakes, if that makes sense.

Meh, I'll try it this summer, only a few weeks left of this deployment now!
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I am currently racing in Philippines SBK but I personally engine brake very little and use brakes instead (cheaper). More on the progressive braking style and my rear never lift as I feel its very dangerous and causes instability. I shift my entire body to the rear as much as possible and put no force on the handle bars.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Anything more than what you get from a 2-stroke is too much.