Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Exhaust and Bike Notes

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by clutchNthrottle View Post
    Maybe we can band together and do a group buy at a more reasonable cost? LOL A simple slip-on without mapping corrections may adversely affect drivability, but I can't imagine a scenario in which this single modification could cause catastrophic damage to the engine, especially in a closed loop system. I just want a little more sound at low rpm and idle, just enough so it drowns out the agricultural valve train clattering without have to take out a loan... is that asking for too much? LOL
    Search around. They seem to be running just fine with slip on and no race ECU, but it increases the possibility of voiding your warranty, should u have an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't argue that the price for the slip on with the map is really high, but I did it anyway. The listed performance gains from Akrapovic are pretty modest, but in my opinion the bike didn't really need any more power. My reasons for adding the can were purely aesthetic, I just didn't like the look of the stock pipe. The stock exhaust note was already as sweet as you could expect from the factory; but it's a whole different story with the new can. It's just sexy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by S2Quick View Post
    I can't argue that the price for the slip on with the map is really high, but I did it anyway. The listed performance gains from Akrapovic are pretty modest, but in my opinion the bike didn't really need any more power. My reasons for adding the can were purely aesthetic, I just didn't like the look of the stock pipe. The stock exhaust note was already as sweet as you could expect from the factory; but it's a whole different story with the new can. It's just sexy!!!
    Same here - as much as I bitch about the price, I have one on order as well.... And purely for aesthetics.
    (Not really sure why it still hasn't shown up, ordered it when I bought my bike almost 2 months ago now)

Does anyone now if Akra makes diffrent db-killers? My 2017 tuono makes 101db and the limit is 100db
    Or a DIY to get it under 100db for the db-test?
    Tuono Factory 17`

apriliaforum prov-nov
    If you think about the "whole package" with the Akra Race carbon slip-on with the unlock code the price makes more sense. You eliminate the big bulky muffler and save 4 or 5 pounds, you remove the cat, the flapper valve and the servo plus you get no codes or check engine lights. Maybe most importantly you don't void the factory warranty which could potentially be the biggest benefit to the whole thing other than having a tune which has been optimized by the factory for the pipe. Just my .02 cents.
    Last edited by Brilloman; 07-07-2017 at 09:22 AM.

apriliaforum Member clutchNthrottle's Avatar
    Meh, it mightve been a few years back but on my old race bike i bought a pipe, power commander and spent a few hours playing around on the dyno before building a custom map from the ground up for bout half that "complete package" cost... the (premium) price we pay for owning a botique bike i guess... most dudes i know wud just put the stock pipe back on whenever it had to back to the dealer! Lol

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I don't disagree that it can be done that way but I don't have those skills when it comes to tuning engine and suspension so usually I let someone who knows what they are doing do it!

Quote Originally Posted by clutchNthrottle View Post
    Meh, it mightve been a few years back but on my old race bike i bought a pipe, power commander and spent a few hours playing around on the dyno before building a custom map from the ground up for bout half that "complete package" cost... the (premium) price we pay for owning a botique bike i guess... most dudes i know wud just put the stock pipe back on whenever it had to back to the dealer! Lol
    I've gone that route with all of my bikes, unfortunately including my last bike - which was an S1000r.

What I learned was that the throttle by wire setup and power commander didn't play well at all, and if I ever got stuck in traffic going between 9 and 14 mph I may as well have been riding a bucking bronco. (Slight exaggeration, but that range was pretty bad). Above that and the bike flat out hauled!!

But hours and hours and hours of Dyno tuning couldn't fix that issue / spot - So for the Ape I decided not to make the same mistake...

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by jutah View Post
    I've gone that route with all of my bikes, unfortunately including my last bike - which was an S1000r.

What I learned was that the throttle by wire setup and power commander didn't play well at all, and if I ever got stuck in traffic going between 9 and 14 mph I may as well have been riding a bucking bronco. (Slight exaggeration, but that range was pretty bad). Above that and the bike flat out hauled!!

But hours and hours and hours of Dyno tuning couldn't fix that issue / spot - So for the Ape I decided not to make the same mistake...
    Have to agree!RBW and the power commander route didn't work for me either!
    An ECU flash did/does however!

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Azeton View Post
    Does anyone now if Akra makes diffrent db-killers? My 2017 tuono makes 101db and the limit is 100db
    You could temporarily put two stainless steel "jubilee clips" on the DB killer to cover some of the holes if it's just for a test but not permanent.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Brilloman View Post
    If you think about the "whole package" with the Akra Race carbon slip-on with the unlock code the price makes more sense. You eliminate the big bulky muffler and save 4 or 5 pounds, you remove the cat, the flapper valve and the servo plus you get no codes or check engine lights. Maybe most importantly you don't void the factory warranty which could potentially be the biggest benefit to the whole thing other than having a tune which has been optimized by the factory for the pipe. Just my .02 cents.
    Precisely! and not only do you get good fueling but importantly you get the correct size can and link pipe to give the most amount of low down torque. Fitting a stubby can and power commander you might get "good" fuelling but you won't get the right amount of torque low down in the rev range.

apriliaforum Member
    Honest question, is there a benefit to the "race ecu" over getting the akra unlock codes for the stock ecu and putting the race map on it? Or is it the same thing?

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by rebornxshiznat View Post
    Honest question, is there a benefit to the "race ecu" over getting the akra unlock codes for the stock ecu and putting the race map on it? Or is it the same thing?
    Same same. One is a while other ECU. The other one unlocks your existing one allowing them to write what's on the actual race ECU, to the existing one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jutah View Post
    Is there a way to confirm if your dealer has done this Dash update?
    I read GuzziDIAG can display ECU version but does it also display dash version?

Quote Originally Posted by Azeton View Post
    Was wondering this too. I think the Akra p/n for the insert is "V-TUV171". I also think AF1 lists it:

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...dProduct=91526

I was thinking of getting one and seeing if it can be modified to knock a few more dB off the SPL by, say, lengthening it or ...?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast