Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Exhaust and Bike Notes

Quote Originally Posted by PaulFargo View Post

It is worth the wait
    I am sure!
    Unlucky for us who want to use the bike on the road and cannot do so with racing systems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apriliaforum Member
    Any news on the full race ecu for 17s?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Power is nothing without control

Its funny that they want the same amount of money for that pipe as the one with an unlock code....
    $1800 for a slip on is a bit salty. At least with the carbon you are getting the ECU code....

apriliaforum Member clutchNthrottle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jutah View Post
    $1800 for a slip on is a bit salty.
    OK, whew! I thought it was just me... being a new aprilia owner I started to wonder what I got myself into! A bit relieved to see I'm not the only one sticker shocked... that's 12% of the MSRP of the entire bike! It's been a while since I shopped exhausts, and I'd consider a full system at $1800, but that is crazy expensive for a slip on! Guess I'm sticking with stock until someone drops the 1 off the front of that number!

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by clutchNthrottle View Post
    OK, whew! I thought it was just me... being a new aprilia owner I started to wonder what I got myself into! A bit relieved to see I'm not the only one sticker shocked... that's 12% of the MSRP of the entire bike! It's been a while since I shopped exhausts, and I'd consider a full system at $1800, but that is crazy expensive for a slip on! Guess I'm sticking with stock until someone drops the 1 off the front of that number!
    Oh get a traditional hex akra slip on. Or one of those shorty ones.
    You don't necessarily have to buy a U lock code/exhaust combo.
    You could always buy them separately.

Quote Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
    Oh get a traditional hex akra slip on. Or one of those shorty ones.
    You don't necessarily have to buy a U lock code/exhaust combo.
    You could always buy them separately.

I actually took a look at that route... the price for a Can / Down pipe and Race ECU conveniently enough happens to be almost the exact same price as just getting the Akra with unlock code...

apriliaforum expert
    I actually took a look at that route... the price for a Can / Down pipe and Race ECU conveniently enough happens to be almost the exact same price as just getting the Akra with unlock code...
    Yeah. ECU codes on the new bikes is VERY expensive.

Yeah. ECU codes on the new bikes is VERY expensive.
    Ok, total noob question here, but why is that? You're not paying for hardware, or any significant labor time... is the dealer being charged by Aprilia for a software license on each bike, or is it just overhead costs passed onto the customer for the privilege? The motorcycling equivalent of getting to stand on the other side of the velvet VIP ropes?

apriliaforum expert
    Ok, total noob question here, but why is that? You're not paying for hardware, or any significant labor time... is the dealer being charged by Aprilia for a software license on each bike, or is it just overhead costs passed onto the customer for the privilege? The motorcycling equivalent of getting to stand on the other side of the velvet VIP ropes?
    Way faster ECU. More memory. Just all around more sophisticated from what I understand.
    It's a pretty bad ass.

To me it looks like they have creatively priced the RACE ECU so that you don't save any money by going that route... trying to incentivize people to buy the 'Aprila / Akra' solution...

I can buy that same exact Akra Exhaust that Aprilia is offering me for about $650 through my local NON Aprilia dealer, but they can't get the ECU Unlock code.

So by the time I pay for the Race ECU, I've only saved a hundred bucks or so... then it becomes that whole peace of mind warranty thing for the extra little money...

Just my $.02

apriliaforum expert
    Let's be realistic here. Most are comparing new bike ECU price to old ECU flash.
    Most folks flashed the ECU with the race tube for $300 or there about. Very few folks bought the actual race ECU. Which was around $500.
    So now, there is no flash, at least not thru regular dealer channels. So you have to buy the ECU. Or get the Akra flash, which I'm sure Aprilia said to akra, you must sell these at the same price as our ECU, with your exhaust.
    Akra doesn't care, so they go, ok.

So realistically it's not a $500 increase. It's a $300 increase. Less, if you shop around. I've seen legit dealers price the accessory ECU under $800.

Way faster ECU. More memory. Just all around more sophisticated from what I understand.
    Um, ok. But what would the significance of that be? It's going to load web pages faster and hold more photos... less video buffering? Not trying to be a wise arse or anything but from what from what I can tell the only diff between the race ECU and the one currently in the bike is that default map loaded in it. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me...

To me it looks like they have creatively priced the RACE ECU so that you don't save any money by going that route... trying to incentivize people to buy the 'Aprila / Akra' solution...

I can buy that same exact Akra Exhaust that Aprilia is offering me for about $650 through my local NON Aprilia dealer, but they can't get the ECU Unlock code.

So by the time I pay for the Race ECU, I've only saved a hundred bucks or so... then it becomes that whole peace of mind warranty thing for the extra little money...

Just my $.02
    Maybe we can band together and do a group buy at a more reasonable cost? LOL A simple slip-on without mapping corrections may adversely affect drivability, but I can't imagine a scenario in which this single modification could cause catastrophic damage to the engine, especially in a closed loop system. I just want a little more sound at low rpm and idle, just enough so it drowns out the agricultural valve train clattering without have to take out a loan... is that asking for too much? LOL

apriliaforum expert
    Um, ok. But what would the significance of that be? It's going to load web pages faster and hold more photos... less video buffering? Not trying to be a wise arse or anything but from what from what I can tell the only diff between the race ECU and the one currently in the bike is that default map loaded in it. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me...
    Well, I know it does stuff like log that it's flashed so when you're dealer hooks it up they know what's up, warranty etc. and who knows how much quicker the recalibrate aprc is reading its sensors.

There also seems to be some things hat the race ECU does differently with the lambda sensor that the older bikes did not, then there's the aprc mapping changes that come with the race ECU and engine braking changes, who knows how it much computing resources that takes up.

Either way, guys like Gabro and Tomik can still flash it for you. I believe HSBK Racing can too. There are some cheaper alternatives to the actual race ECU purchase. Not as many, but some.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast