Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tyre warmers

Your warmers should cycle on/off.
    It makes no sense to leave a warmer on cooking a tire for 3 hours. It takes about 45 mins on a warm day to heat up a tire that hasn't been ridden on yet. There are some other factors that play a part in that but generally 45 mins is enough time.
    When you come off the track always put the warmers back on your tires right away. If you do not ride again for a few hours, put them on but leave them unplugged. Then turn them on about an hour before you plan to ride again.

I have only ever owned single temp warmers. Some better than others but they have always cycled on/off once they get to their regulated temp.
    CMRA

Sidi Boots
    Motonation
    Vesrah Brakes
    BD Racing
    Dunlop
    Race Tire Services
    Lucas Oil
    Vortex Racing
    Shorai Batteries
    North Texas Superbikes

1964 Vespa:
    133c/4spd conversion
    2008 Yamaha R6 #728

apriliaforum expert
    On a side note, any other methods to power tire warmers than a generator? Really don't have the need for a generator so If I can avoid buying one, that would be great!

Only option I know of (other than a generator), is go to a track with power available.................
    I find tinsel very distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by NUMBER41 View Post
    Only option I know of (other than a generator), is go to a track with power available.................
    I have never been to a busy trackday and had good power for warmers. Sure you can hook up and they will turn on, but most of the time they don't have enough juice to heat tires correctly.
    CMRA

Sidi Boots
    Motonation
    Vesrah Brakes
    BD Racing
    Dunlop
    Race Tire Services
    Lucas Oil
    Vortex Racing
    Shorai Batteries
    North Texas Superbikes

1964 Vespa:
    133c/4spd conversion
    2008 Yamaha R6 #728

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by NUMBER41 View Post
    Few tracks out here have sufficient power options. I guess I'm "lucky" and won't need any this weekend since the forecast calls for 100F+

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    Few tracks out here have sufficient power options. I guess I'm "lucky" and won't need any this weekend since the forecast calls for 100F+
    Fontucky!!

I guess I've always been lucky with tire warmers.. The Chicken Hawks have always had a little light to tell when they are at temp.

After my first session, I'll wrap them up, unplugged until the A group is done, I'll plug them in for the B group, and I'm ready to go for the C!

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yamadan View Post
    Fontucky!!

I guess I've always been lucky with tire warmers.. The Chicken Hawks have always had a little light to tell when they are at temp.

After my first session, I'll wrap them up, unplugged until the A group is done, I'll plug them in for the B group, and I'm ready to go for the C!
    a few warmers have that feature but its not an indicator actual temp. Not even sure why youd need warmers in C group anyways???

Most track day crash's happen on cold tires that weren't on warmers, race or street tire's, first or second session, hot or cold out, of course more so on cold days, also higher rates of attrition in beginner level, 80% in the tracks toughest turn, normally the decreasing radius one.
    Can not remember someone being one of the first down that used warmers.
    Can you work around not having them? Yes, but attention and caution must be used, warmers give you a lot of advantages,
    The tire wear during warm up is horrible, giving up 20 to 30% of each session and peace of mind is huge!
    I was using them on my street tire's by my 6 th track day, still begging level, no looking back, 4 seasons and over 80 track days later

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drvacation View Post
    Most track day crash's happen on cold tires that weren't on warmers, race or street tire's, first or second session, hot or cold out, of course more so on cold days, also higher rates of attrition in beginner level, 80% in the tracks toughest turn, normally the decreasing radius one.
    Can not remember someone being one of the first down that used warmers.
    Can you work around not having them? Yes, but attention and caution must be used, warmers give you a lot of advantages,
    The tire wear during warm up is horrible, giving up 20 to 30% of each session and peace of mind is huge!
    I was using them on my street tire's by my 6 th track day, still begging level, no looking back, 4 seasons and over 80 track days later
    track days are relaxed practice days. You would have to be a fucking idiot to go 10/10ths first session. The menagerie of "warmers & non street tires" should not even be addressed until youre out riding the stock suspension. Using warmers on street tires?? hahahahaha Ive seen people crash in the first session hour and if they blamed it on tires or no warmers... they are idiots. Same crowd that complains of "tires going away"... never accepting the blame for their lack of talent.

whats 20-30% of a session? Are you trying to economize track time now? How does that accounting work with a red flag?

Just so Im clear... you also use a pyrometer and temp gun? What target temps are you shooting for?

1,Even street tire's have significantly less grip cold,2 w/o getting in a cock fight, unless You've raced off are my 58 year old ass's relaxed lap times will kick your ass.
    3, brake down your per lap costs, it's astonishing high.
    4, ran sp's first season as not fast enough to need race rubber yet(years since last track time) once I got warmers my tire wear decreased significantly.
    5, most people were not hauling ass, I assure you, have seen better riders then we will ever be taken out by cold tires being careful.
    6, I like to see140 f at least in my tires before and after sessions, but being s/w dessert we see anyware from 110 to 220 plus.
    7, I can go under 2's at spring MTN, which is hauling on my tuono with stock Sachs and I'm 220, so b.s.
    Again tire ware vs. cost of cheap generator and good warmers, pretty quick return, haven't needed my helmet for years yet like my warmers,Peace of mind, dropping a bike for any reason sucks and costs a shit load.
    Did tire warmers do you wrong some how?
    Do you really do a lot of track days??

Oh we have outside temps on track days from 40 to 120 f,& I run my chicken hawks at 170 all day most days but the real cookers, they don't cook and I can take them almost to the cord and they don't cycle out.
    Best stick seems to be 90to 110 f track and 140 to 180 return tire temps, I use 170 so if I get stuck at starting line, don't have to hit ground running and slower guys to stupid to own warmers

I ride with Trackxperance, very low percentage of idiots, so.cal. and Vegas area, sorry to hear it's so bad in Florida

apriliaforum expert
    Yea, you don't need to be going Mach 1 to get advantage out of tire warmers. It's nice not having to worry about slowing your pace the first couple of laps.

yup 2 minute laps 3 laps= 6 minutes out of 20 dead space,wasted tire wear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12