Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyre warmers

apriliaforum Junkie

Tyre warmers

Hi all,

I'm having an issue where my warmers are heating my slicks to about 100 degrees Celsius.

I run Capit warmers which do not have a thermostat. The local dealer says the warmers should not be on for longer than 2 hours of the tyres start to overheat.

That would be easy if there was only one race or session, but at a track day yesterday there were 7 sessions and so the temps were running up to 100 all the time as the warmers would be put on an already hot tyre after a session. At a race day this will be just as bad as there can be 3 hours between races.

Has anyone had this experience and what is the solution? What's the damage to tyres that are heated to 100 or over?

The solution is to get some warmers that work correctly.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

apriliaforum Member
    dont turn the warmers on after a session... let them cool in the warmers.
    Also do what meanstrk suggested...lol

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    The solution is to get some warmers that work correctly.
    I hear you. Did a bit of research and essentially the warmers with no thermostats heat like a heated towel rack. Always on and heating at one temp. The issue is when its a stupid hot day then they can overheat.

New warmers will be on my list but my research has shown this is not unique to this brand, heaps of warmers have this issue.

With a "stupid hot day", you can just put them on and not plug them in until, say, 20 mins before your session. They can just be tire socks instead until needed.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by das134 View Post
    I hear you. Did a bit of research and essentially the warmers with no thermostats heat like a heated towel rack. Always on and heating at one temp. The issue is when its a stupid hot day then they can overheat.
    New warmers will be on my list but my research has shown this is not unique to this brand, heaps of warmers have this issue.
    I dont get how a company can sell a product without some kinda limit on how much heat it generates. Ive seen people burn down their pit by hanging tire sox on the canopy without unplugging them...lol. Maybe they do that on purpose to insure stupid should hurt...hehe. Are you able to get/keep the tires @ 100 during operation?

As a start, read the FAQ items and articles on this site - also Dave has done a few videos on the proper use of tire warmers. If they aren't somewhere on his site, search around for them on YouTube.
    http://chickenhawkracing.com/faq-policies/
    Dave is good people - his tire warmers are outstanding...

Quote Originally Posted by turboblew View Post
    I dont get how a company can sell a product without some kinda limit on how much heat it generates. Ive seen people burn down their pit by hanging tire sox on the canopy without unplugging them...lol. Maybe they do that on purpose to insure stupid should hurt...hehe. Are you able to get/keep the tires @ 100 during operation?
    100C would make for a greasy tire and you'd probably crash. 100F is a crash waiting too happen.

Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    As a start, read the FAQ items and articles on this site - also Dave has done a few videos on the proper use of tire warmers. If they aren't somewhere on his site, search around for them on YouTube.
    http://chickenhawkracing.com/faq-policies/
    Dave is good people - his tire warmers are outstanding...
    +1 for Chickenhawk. One of the few tires warmers made in the USA and not in China.
    '14 Tuono, matte black, Akrapovic full Ti system, Race ECU, Ohlin's rear shock, Lightech Ltd "R" rearsets, Carbon fender, hugger & side panels, Lightech mirrors, Luimoto seat covers, Brembo RCS 17 with folding levers, black Rizoma bars, 520 chain +2 on the rear, MRA sport screen

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wet dog View Post
    100C would make for a greasy tire and you'd probably crash. 100F is a crash waiting too happen...
    says who? 100c is well within a Dunlop/Pirelli/Michelin/Bridgestone race tire operating range.

apriliaforum Member

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Yardape View Post
    That's pretty much my method.

My T2 warmers are set at 74 C.

Suzuka dual temps for the B Bike.
    Current rigs:

'16 Tuono RR -street
    '13 RSV4 -race
    '13 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special
    '13 Yamaha WR450F
    '12 GSXR 600 - race
    '07 GSXR 750 - race
    '03 KDX 200
    '17 Tao Tao Hellcat - pit bike

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Get Chicken Hawks. The are the best.

apriliaforum expert
    I like my Moto-D tire warmers. Excellent quality and they heat evenly throughout the tire consistently.

Not sure what your problem is with the Capit brand ones as they are a premier warmer and lots of MotoGP and WSBK guys use them.

I am on an island with Chicken Hawk... I have had 2 sets and they both were garbage. Never again. They also heated unevenly throughout the tire.

--Randy
    2011 RSV4 FACTORY SE
    2003 CBR600RR - TRACK BIKE

Get a digital infrared thermometer:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1000.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	337682

When you come in to your pit, check temp, throw the warmers on and don't plug them in. Check temps every so often by peeling back a little bit of the warmer. When they're just below the temp you want, taking into account the amount of time to your next session, plug the warmers back in to maintain temps. If you want to spend a few more $$, you can find external temp controllers that plug inline with your warmers that will cycle them off/on to control temp. But by the time you do that, might as well spring for some new warmers with integrated controller.
    I find tinsel very distracting.

If you're going to measure your tire temp., then a pyrometer is a better option. IR gauge likely cheaper though.

http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...nomy+Pyrometer

That said - don't overthink it. Just put your warmers on high for 45-60 minutes before you got out initially and use them between sessions. If there will be extended downtime (more than 1.5 hours or so) then put them on when you come off the track, but don't actually turn them on until 45 minutes before (or put them on low until about 30 minutes before). If it's a super hot day you can probably get away with always running them on low after you've done your first session of the day - although if racing (as opposed to a track day), I'd still bump to high 30 minutes before the race, as you have to go all-out right away.
    WMRRA #98
    2013 KTM 990 SMT (street)
    2011 Aprilia RSV4 (race) For Sale: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ace-Track-Bike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast