Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprockets misaligned

apriliaforum Member

Sprockets misaligned

The sprockets are misaligned and has been so probably since new. When I first noticed this some months ago I checked the wheel alignment to the svingarm pivot and it was ok. The wear can bee seen but there are no ridges or sharp edges on the sprocket. Has anyone else had this problem?
    With both hands off the bars it stays on course so I think the frame and wheel alignments are good.The bike is still under warranty and is soon in for service.

Name:  IMG_20170728_161305.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  81.4 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170728_162756.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	430.5 KB 
ID:	338515
    1100 Factory

apriliaforum expert
    I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08.../dp/B000GTVOJQ

There are many cases where the factory swing arm marks are not even on both sides. Put this on and do your chain adjustment....very easy.

apriliaforum newb
    I think you are concerned over nothing. That looks ok to me. Chain will have a preference to one side. If visually it looks straight your fine. Trying to get it to dead center will drive you insane.

The sprockets on these bikes are slightly misaligned from the factory according to mikef4uk.

Quote Originally Posted by mikef4uk View Post
    Dont forget that the chain alignment on these bikes is pretty poor and just about any aftermarket sprocket will make it worse, the sprocket is too far into the wheel by about 1mm (chain spec is max 0.9mm) hence the machining on the outer sprocket face to bring it out as far as possible, any solid or aluminium sprocket (they cant machine them as much on the outer face as they get too weak) will make the alignment worse, if you look at your rera sprocket you will see that all the contact with the chain is on the inside of the sprocket and the chain does not run in the middle of the sprocket
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...=1#post4278601
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plocky View Post
    The sprockets on these bikes are slightly misaligned from the factory according to mikef4uk.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...=1#post4278601
    Yes, there is a slight misalignment when the sprockets are parallel. If I center the chain on the sprocket the sprockets become misaligned. Is it serious enough to require an action or should I leave it as is?
    1100 Factory

As Plocky has directed you to my post I'll reply:

If you read the post the sprockets are around (from memory) 1.5mm out of alignment, just about ANY aftermarket sprocket will make it worse

I spoke to renthall about their sprockets and he said the alignment should be less than 0.9mm and that their sprocket was 0.75mm worse than the Aprilia sprocket so was therefore within that tolerance (he was assuming the std Aprilia sprocket was perfect alignment ) when I told him the std set up was already just under 2mm out of alignment his reply was simply ''Oh f**k''

I got to the bottom of it and it's an Aprilia cock up, hence the deep machining on the std rear sprocket to get the rear sprocket as thin as possible and to move it as far over to the LH side of the bike as possible, without the machining the sprocket will move over towards the RH side of the bike and the alignment will get worse.

I machined the LH outer spacer between swingarm and sprocket carrier down and made a spacer to go between the wheel and sprocket carrier of the same size

Some reading below................

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...alignment-tool

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...o-Sprocket-FYI

PS: Do NOT use a chain alignment device from the rear sprocket to front sprocet, this will only point the rear sprocket towards the front sprocket and will also put your wheels out of true alignment.....................
    Last edited by mikef4uk; 07-30-2017 at 06:00 AM.

apriliaforum expert
    The sprocket fixing kit will offset the sprocket to the left, and improves the chain alignment.
    2R000270

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...dproduct=78080
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2000.5 Mille R - Ti Shotguns & lots of Evo shtuff
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory

apriliaforum Member
    My bike is a 2016 and came with the sprocket fixing kit from the factory. I will consider the mikef4uk mod. Thanks all for helping out :-)

A great link indeed:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...o-Sprocket-FYI
    Last edited by The Rider; 07-30-2017 at 10:42 AM.
    1100 Factory

The sprocket/chain misalignment is quite obvious on all my bikes and can be checked easily by looking at wear on the chain rollers. I use Lightech chain adjusters on all my bikes and one thing is certain... I always have a slight difference in adjustment from one side to the other to get the sprocket to line up with the chain correctly.

Still doesn't negate the fact though that the sprocket is very obviously in the wrong place.
    2015 Tuono V4 1100 Factory
    Brembo RCS19 MC, Akrapovic Exhaust, GRT ECU, DNA filter, Lightech levers, rear-sets & chain adjusters, Evotech tail-tidy, Evotech fork & swingarm sliders, Cox Racing Rad Guard & Aprilia Factory Forged Alloys.

2012 Tuono V4 APRC Fast
    Black.... Sold
    Yamaha MT-10 SP

Quote Originally Posted by PRC001 View Post
    The sprocket/chain misalignment is quite obvious on all my bikes and can be checked easily by looking at wear on the chain rollers. I use Lightech chain adjusters on all my bikes and one thing is certain... I always have a slight difference in adjustment from one side to the other to get the sprocket to line up with the chain correctly.

Still doesn't negate the fact though that the sprocket is very obviously in the wrong place.
    Personally I'm less worried about sprocket alignment.
    Front to rear wheel alignment is way more important. JMO.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by plocky View Post
    Personally I'm less worried about sprocket alignment.
    Front to rear wheel alignment is way more important. JMO.
    Don't know about that plocky, i personally would prefer the chain and sprocket to line up, if they are in sinc, i.e. line up, the chain action will at least be smooth, less wear and less strain, this may put your tires out of line, but how much would that matter, you steer the front to match the drive of the rear, (a right hand turn may feel marginally different than a left possibly) in the perfect world all should aline.
    It used to be "Rock around the clock" now its "limp around the block".................................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a Bran spanking new 1290 GT. Torque monster.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
    Don't know about that plocky, i personally would prefer the chain and sprocket to line up, if they are in sinc, i.e. line up, the chain action will at least be smooth, less wear and less strain, this may put your tires out of line, but how much would that matter, you steer the front to match the drive of the rear, (a right hand turn may feel marginally different than a left possibly) in the perfect world all should aline.
    Even if you 'point' the rear sprocket towards the front sprocket they are still out of true alignment Dave as the rear sprocket would then not be parallel to the front sproket or the front wheel, the chain would still have a 'bending motion' where it starts or leaves the sprockets

Even if you 'point' the rear sprocket towards the front sprocket they are still out of true alignment Dave as the rear sprocket would then not be parallel to the front sproket or the front wheel, the chain would still have a 'bending motion' where it starts or leaves the sprockets
    Yea, thats the main problem, the 2 sprockets are what? 2mm out of line. But the rear sprocket being the larger diameter, should point to the centre of the smaller front sprocket. But you could never actually line the chain true to the rear sprocket or the front, but maybe somewhere between. Its going to be interesting to see how long the chains last, also the risk of one snapping. I don't think the front wheel is much of a problem, its more getting the 2 sprockets to align, so the chain runs true. Next time I'm behind a V4F, ill check to see if its crabbing down the street.
    It used to be "Rock around the clock" now its "limp around the block".................................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a Bran spanking new 1290 GT. Torque monster.

It's every V4 Aprilia, I did all my 'stuff' on my RSV4, dead easy to realign, just machine 1.5 -2mm off the outer spacer and stick the same size back between the whole chain/hub assembly and wheel, only problem is the outer sapcer then tends to fall out on tyre changes and make sure the new spacer between the wheel and chain hub only runs on the inner race of the bearings, and watch for the majority of aftermarket sprockets as they make the alignment worse

It's every V4 Aprilia, I did all my 'stuff' on my RSV4, dead easy to realign, just machine 1.5 -2mm off the outer spacer and stick the same size back between the whole chain/hub assembly and wheel, only problem is the outer sapcer then tends to fall out on tyre changes and make sure the new spacer between the wheel and chain hub only runs on the inner race of the bearings, and watch for the majority of aftermarket sprockets as they make the alignment worse
    No room for movement inwards on the front sprocket Mike, machine 2mm off the inside, nut and thread would take up the slack ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast