Thread: 2017 SR50 R new member to the scooter world

apriliaforum newb

2017 SR50 R new member to the scooter world

Good evening all, new to the forum recently purchased an Aprilia SR50 R in white for my commute to work and back monday to friday.

Being no stranger to bikes and a fair bit older than the average 16-19 age bracket for these scooters its had the variator ring removed from dealership for me but i feel it still lacks a little GO.

Question is i cannot for the life of me get it to cruise above 40mph consistently, i know the exhaust has a lot to do with top end and is probably restricting me a bit but still i thought it might sit at 40mph without any hassle.

Also im after some carbon fibre parts to smarten it up a litte and make it a bit more personalised any ideas?

Jay

apriliaforum expert
    is the silver restrictor plate in the carb inlet? you can remove it. you might need a larger main jet if all of that is derestricted allready.

---
    your scooter has a huge carb and airbox. all you need to make the most of it is a 70cc sport bbk cylinder and maybe a better touring exhaust like the leovince touring or something.
    the point is to make more power everywhere so the entire cvt drive does not have to be replaced. keep the peak power and vario tuned no higher than 8000rpm and it will pull hard. hence a torque pipe like the lv touring or a yasuni Z pipe perhaps.

-- and a mainjet kit 60 to 80.
    --- diploma for engine repair in 2012 ---

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

previous vehicles - subaru legacy turbo 1991 - mazda mx6 turbo 1990.

apriliaforum newb
    The flat plate in the Inlet with lots of holes drilled in it was removed but the bike ran like a bag of crap so put it back in.
    Obviously now ive had a read of some topics on here i should upjet the carb then remove the plate as like any engine more air equals more fuel needed.

Yazuni z pipe is on the cards but i have to take the grinder to the frame as it has a bar welded to the chassis to stop you fitting a sports pipe.

Long term if i can keep it reliable enough to get back and forth to work im happy but i would just like a little bit more from it.

apriliaforum expert
    the yasuni is 3 times the price of the lv touring.

--
    you need jets to remove the plate in the carb. like a 60-62 maybe.

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

apriliaforum newb
    Not a fan of the Leo vince range had a ZX on a previous scooter which made my ears hurt.

ordered a full set of jets this morning if that gives me a better top end cruising speed i will be happy

apriliaforum expert
    super. well i liked my derbi stock exhaust sound alot. i wish someone told me all the bike needs is a 70cc cylinder and a rejet to make it awesome. the exhaust is users choice. the bike is allready tuned for a 70cc kit. take advantage.

apriliaforum newb
    wanting more power and a bit more speed for the daily ride to work.
    Stock rollers on the scales are all 6.46 grams and i have a 52 size jet in the carb, only restrictor taken out is the vario one and the pipes on the stock exhaust have been shortened and welded.
    Ordered a yasuni R exhaust and a new polini clutch as the OE one i think is slipping and the contra spring just isnt upto it as uphill it drops lots of rpm.

Any recomendations on a solid reliable setup that will see me hit above 50mph all the time? at the moment its topping out at 48.4mph using strava to track my commutes to work and back.

apriliaforum expert
    the exhaust will need a 5000rpm clutch to catch the bump of torque at 5000rpm.

the vario and torque converter are a matching set.

the contra spring and rollers will be perfect when you get a 70cc bbk to match the exhaust. untill then lighter rollers will not let it pass 75kmh.

--
    try a 62-68 main jet and 1 gram lighter rollers with the yasuni r for peak power at 9000rpm with 50cc. 8000rpm with 70cc.

apriliaforum expert
    the reed valve wont last long now that it is derestricted doing 9000rpm wot pulls. it will pool fuel in the carb and filter when it loses tension.

vforce or malossi insert petals that come with the 70cc malossi bbk will fix it

apriliaforum newb
    Stripped it right down today for some diagnosis and yep my reed petals on 1 part are not sitting closed so guess they are knackered.

Cheers for the input will have a look into 70cc kits for later down the line with the view to swap it back to a 50cc in little over 3 years when my son turns 16 so its kind of an investment for him to jump onto.

apriliaforum expert
    a vforce reed valve and an airsal 70cc sport would be a smart setup for both of you. it uses the stock dome head for a smoother engine than the malossi.

racingplanet.com does free shipping and together it will be close to a malossi bbk and its reeds that are just ok. i think the airsal is a hundred and the vforce maybe a 100? so its about the same as the malossi but smoother and a much better reed valve than the stock cage.