Thread: [Electrical] Smoke coming out of stator when attaching a battery

apriliaforum newb

Question [Electrical] Smoke coming out of stator when attaching a battery

Hello, first post here so please excuse n00bness.

I own a Piaggio Typhoon 50cc 2T AC, Hi-per2 motor and other bits just like Fly 50.

Couple of days ago I noticed weak lights, no horn, no starter turning and no charging of the battery - voltage was 10V either with motor running or not.

Took battery home and re-charged it full. While the battery was out, the scooter started fine with kick-start, but lights where again dim as if lower than 12v voltage is supplied by the generator

When I re attached the fully charged battery back, I quickly noticed thin smoke coming out of the generator/stator cover area. I immediately disconnected the negative pole and this stopped.

Does this mean I have a short in my stator ?
    Or could this mean the rectifier is bad ?
    Shouldn't the rectifier diodes block battery current from reaching the stator charging coil ?

Thanks for any advice here.

apriliaforum expert
    i suggest a manual to check the rectifier first. the stator sounds dead but it could be the rectifiers fault.

---
    good luck with the battle. im sorry thats all i can say without a manual. i mean that because your doing a fine job so far.
    ---
    can you find the parts ok? how much for a stator and a rectifier?
    --- diploma for engine repair in 2012 ---

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

previous vehicles - subaru legacy turbo 1991 - mazda mx6 turbo 1990.

apriliaforum newb
    Stator is pretty cheap http://www.ebay.com/itm/261332526489
    However I am having hard time removing the cover, as I don't have the right extractor. Will have to bodge something or buy one.

apriliaforum expert
    that is cheap! i think you better get the rectifier and the stator as a suggestion. there was a guy who posted a thread on issues like that. it was about a year ago right here. but i looked and i cant find it now.

---
    i know for sure if the rectifier is bad it will blow a new stator everytime.

it sounds like maybe a rectifier problem. when the stators get old and ground out they can be replaced fine but this smoking sounds much worse than that / so a rectifier is recommended as a suggestion.

i dont have that model so just use your best judgement. your doing good so far
    Last edited by sublunacy; 04-21-2017 at 09:58 AM.
    --- diploma for engine repair in 2012 ---

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

previous vehicles - subaru legacy turbo 1991 - mazda mx6 turbo 1990.