Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine stalls, but not like what I've read in the archives.

apriliaforum prov-nov Dream Corrosion's Avatar

Engine stalls, but not like what I've read in the archives.

3rd time trying to post this. Over the past month the bike has stalled 3 times pulling up to an intersection (engine is at normal operating temp). Engine will turn over but no ignition. Cycled the key off/on and the engine would fire up, except the last time. I had to disconnected the battery and reconnected it to get the engine running. Last week, I inspected the vacuum lines on the left side and replaced them even though they showed no signs of damage. i rode the bike afterward with out incident. It's been parked until today. I was going to ride it but as before it wouldn't crank until I disconnected and reconnected the battery. Any advice would be much appreciated.

apriliaforum Member
    Since you mentioned power cycling and disconnecting/reconnecting the battery: Check the white connector in the tail section. It supplies power the the gauge cluster and the ECU. I had some erratic running issues like stalling and failure to turn over until power cycled and found that connector was starting to go. Soldered the connection and the problem hasn't returned AND the dash voltage is reading about 1V higher than before.
    Last edited by benton0311; 04-14-2017 at 05:59 AM.

apriliaforum expert J.R. Bob Dobbs's Avatar
    In-tank fuel line? Stalling at idle is one symptom. Cycling pwr forces the pump to prime.
    Jap bikes suck.

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll check those points of concern at first light.

Update since the last post:

I checked the harness connector and the pins on the male side were loose. Fixed that issue and the bike ran great for about 600 miles. It stalled on a ride and none of the aforementioned fixits solved the problem. For S&G I unbolted the tank at the front, shook it a coupla times and the engine started. So now I'm thinking I have sediment in the tank. I pulled the tank and cleaned it and the fuel lines, disassembled the fuel pump assembly, cleaned it and replaced the fuel filter. There was some sediment on the fuel pump pre-filter screen, but nothing major. Post assembly the bike ran perfect for about 1200 miles, but now it's stalling when the fuel level drops. After the reserve light blinks on the engine will stall when I slow to a stop, but it will start up again. I pulled the fuel pump assembly and checked the connectors and hoses and found no issues, it continued to stall. I bought a used fuel pump assembly from ebay and swapped the wiring out, it still stalled. I swapped out the mounting plate, fuel lines and pump, and it still stalls. To cover my other bases, I inspected the vacuum lines and replaced the 2 on the side of the throttle body even though they weren't damaged, and it still stalls. I'll pull the pump and check everything again, but I'm totally clueless.
    Last edited by Dream Corrosion; 09-27-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Does it stall at any speed or only as your coming to a stop? If its only at idle it may be your stepper motor(idle control) failing. Its located in the right rear of the airbox. When you turn the key off you should hear it close up. Do a search on the stepper and see if it relates to your symptoms.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    My bike stall as i stop and bike was hot. It turns out, that my stator was getting weak and after 500-1000km stopped charging

Charging issues were last year's migraine. I replaced the fried stator with a Rick's motorsports stator and voltage regulator, soldering the connections and eliminating the infamous brown connector. I also installed a new Yuasa battery. jess67, it only stalls when I'm slowing to a stop and only after the reserve light comes on. I just lifted the tank and checked the stepper motor and it sounds like it's working normally. I cleaned the residue off the plunger and housing and applied a thin film of silicone lubricant to the bore. I'll take it for a test ride thru the urban sprawl and report back.

Sounds like you've checked and fixed a few things and still no luck which sucks. When mine was stalling I looked at the TB schematics and thought it could one of the sensors (see attachment). Maybe its dirty injectors or loose TB collars/manifolds?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TB sensors.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	342982  

Last edited by TeddyG; 09-27-2017 at 05:34 PM.

After a coupla days of riding the bike began stalling on a full tank of gas. I'm gonna pull the injectors and do a bench top cleaning and report back. Has anybody tried running seafoam thru the vacuum lines on the side of the TBs?

apriliaforum Junkie ResetTheConsole's Avatar
    Have you checked the tipover sensor? If it thinks the bike tipped over, it won't allow it to start again until you cycle the ignition. It lives under the seat, rubber mounted behind/above the battery. You can unplug it and ride the bike just fine, but it will set off the EFI warning light.

I ran seafoam through mine a couple years back, I just put in in a pump spray bottle and sprayed it into the throttle bodies. It didn't do a whole lot other than smoke.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8MdlzaB.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	343495

The tip over sensor is still in place, I checked the charging system at the battery and it's showing 13.9V@4000rpms. I pulled the injectors and cleaned them, The engine is running butter smooth... until it stalls, every time I slow to a stop. It's gotten worse in the past week. If I keep the rpms up as I'm pulling in the clutch lever the engine won't stall. It almost seems like a vacuum leak, but I've checked the vacuum lines again and everything looks fine.

apriliaforum prov-nov terrynewleaf's Avatar
    Did you get to the bottom of the problem..........my 04 RSVr is stalling when rolling to a stop!

Thanks,
    T

apriliaforum prov-nov peace maker's Avatar
    Is your battery fully charged just before you ride it? Is the battery old or on its way out? I had the exact same problem. Always throw mine on the trickle charger before a ride and put a new battery in. Problem gone.
    2004 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory - Map 2, updated ECU map, PC3, Akrapovics, K&N air filter, Ricks's heavy duty stator, sh755 rectifier, T12 stator oil cooling kit, updated temp sensor, CBR1000 side stand, Ducati 1098 rear master cylinder.

2012 Kawasaki Z1000 - GP series titanium Akrapovic slip ons

apriliaforum expert
    How about checking the in-tank vent lines, the fuel lines and the two fuel filters (strainer+regular filter). Ethanol fuels can run the in-tank fuel lines, while strainer filter can become clogged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast