Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On board computer

apriliaforum Member

On board computer

Hi Guys

I've just bought an Atlantic 500 and I'm confused by the MPG readout on the computer display.

My Atlantic is a UK model so it displays Ml/G.

Can anyone tell exactly what units are being displayed? Mine shows a reading of between 3.0 and 3.8.

Also, is it possible to change the outside temperature display to read centigrade instead of fahrenheit?

Thanks

John

apriliaforum prov-nov
    You should probably ask Aprilia.
    Aprilia USA has informed me that the trip computer could not be switched to Celsius, although I find it hard to believe.
    Gabe

Trip computer doesn't work

My MPG reading is also stuck at 3-point-something on my Atlantic 500. I'm told by my Aprilia dealer in NYC that it is not fixable at this time.

apriliaforum Member
    I did wonder if the mpg figure was gallons per 100 miles which is similar to the usual European way of showing fuel consumption in kilometres and litres (litres per 100 kilometres).

Thus 3 gallons for each 100 miles would be about 33mpg.

I was hoping for more than 33mpg though which is worse than my BMW 3 Series Touring!

John

apriliaforum newb

mpg+f.c.

Not had any problem with my mpg readout which currently shows
    Past posts have always said the temp gauge is fixed on f. so guess this must be so.
    Don't know if this helps but to convert f.to c. just minus 30 and divide by two which should give a near enough figure.ie 70f minus 30=40 divide by 2=20c

apriliaforum Member
    Hi Hoody

Do you mind me asking what mileage your mpg figure relates to? As my Atlantic only has 60 miles on the clock, it may be that I simply haven't given it long enough?

John

apriliaforum Member Bruce Brown's Avatar
    My MPG reading was accurate until my instrument cluster needed replacing. After the new cluster went in, the MPG reading reads between 3.8 and 4 mile per gallon.

apriliaforum newb
    Hi John,
    I would say the mpg figure is the ave mpg since the last re-set.
    I notice if the mpg fig is in the frame and I then re-set, it zeros
    by showing a line of dots which stays this way until a certain
    number of miles have been covered,only then will it start showing the ave mpg.
    It will be interesting to know what your solution is.

However to further add to the confusion I can report that my mph avg reads 2,so how do you work that one out,in particular when my max speed shows a naughty 99mph!!

apriliaforum Member
    Hi Guys

Having now put a few miles on my Atlantic, I reckon that the average mpg figure being displayed is litres/kilometres. After a fill up I reckon I got 60mpg.

As I'm beginning to get more used to it (I've been riding a BMW C1-200 for the last 3 years), the display is settling at about 4.0.

On the basis that 100 km equals 62 miles and that 4 litres equals 0.88 imperial gallons, I calculate the average mpg is currently 70.6 which seems about right for low speed careful running.

John

apriliaforum Junkie
    jst_ - My computer is one of the things about my bike that does seem to be working ok. When I was running 5W oil in the crankcase, the best I was able to get was 65.1 mpg at a modest speed on flat ground with the wind. Since changing to 10W oil, I have noticed a drop of 5mpg. The best I can do now under the same conditions as reported above is 60.1 mpg. Please note that this seems to be the max. under the best of conditions. Normal riding seems to return 57 - 59 with my 10W oil. I run the pressure in my tires at the maximum by the way.

apriliaforum Member Bruce Brown's Avatar
    The MPG issue on the computer is a faulty computer.

Mine used to work just perfectly, and even matched my math when refueling. I always got somewhere between 58 and 60 MPG, and that is how the display read.

Since my cluster was replaced, the MPG now reads in the 3.8 - 4.0 range.

Don't waste your time trying to figure out what it means, because it doesn't mean anything, it is plain and simply wrong. A computer problem, nothing else.

A computer problem it is

It seems like there must be a way to reprogram the computer to calculate MPG correctly. I wonder whether it's hard-wired into the computer or addressable somehow through a software interface.

apriliaforum Member
    Hi Bruce

Many thanks for your comment. It's not what I was hoping to hear, but what I suspected.

John

apriliaforum newb
    My computer is now back to normal.
    I reported the ave mph was stuck at 2.To be honest it's somthing I don't take any notice of so I maybe never reset it since having the bike.Anyhow since I reset the other day all is working normal so I guess before it must have had a freeze up through neglect.

Freaky computers

For a long time, the "average MPH" on my computer was 12, which was kinda plausible, since I do a lot of stop-and-go city driving. About a month ago, for no apparent reason, it dropped to 1. Resetting the computer seems to have cleared it up, but it does show what a piece of crap the computer is.

Also, the temperature reading gets freaky on sunny days, and claims that it's over 100 degrees (F, not C). I suspect the errant temperature reading is due to poor placement of the sensor, rather than a computer problem.

Oh, and the clock is slow, loosing about a minute per month - a minor inconvenience but it still irks me. Perhaps it's on metric time?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast