Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Habana / Mojito 50 repair + tuning

apriliaforum prov-nov raffaello's Avatar
    Guys,

I just had a close look at the cylinder... I know it's cast iron, so it has limitations, but I'm afraid if it's not some kind of quality control reject / refurb / return product... can you please have a look at the photos? Do they test them at the factory? The head have nuts traces...

Cylinder #1, cylinder #2, head #1, head #2.

Thanks a lot in advance
    Last edited by raffaello; 04-25-2017 at 05:03 PM.
    Bella 2wheels - 2001 Aprilia Habana / Mojito 50
    Bella 4wheels - 2001 Alfa Romeo 156 Sportwagon 2.0 TS

Italians know how to make it beautiful

apriliaforum expert
    the pictures dont load for me.
    --- diploma for engine repair in 2012 ---

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

previous vehicles - subaru legacy turbo 1991 - mazda mx6 turbo 1990.

apriliaforum Member
    i see what you are saying...there a small crack and it looks like the head has been fitted to something before......i bought a kit without a head so i cant speak that to that but I will look at my kit when i get home today to see the quality.....
    2004 Aprilia Mojito Retro 50cc
    2003 Vespa ET2 50cc
    2001 Triumph TT600
    1993 Yamaha Razz 50cc

sublunacy, a few close-ups:

Name:  Snap #5.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  51.3 KB

Name:  Snap #1.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  28.9 KB

Name:  Snap #3.JPG
Views: 62
Size:  95.2 KB

Name:  Snap #4.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  68.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

apriliaforum expert
    nice pics raff. it all looks normal. i am a hobby machinist too and i can say it all looks good. what your seeing on the head is called a hog because it cuts fast and lasts a really long time. dont worry.
    --
    try dropping the gasket on the cylinder and check the transfer tunnels. take a picture if your not in a rush. i can walk you through it.

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

Thanks, sublunacy. Hope I won't have any problems with the cylinder.

Just got the carb

Good news #1: the stock choke fits perfectly, only the Keihin's attachment ring doesn't... Have to find a new one, but I saw it somewhere lately. A new oring is already on the way.

Good news #2: put it on the airbox, it won't hit anything. Looking at the height the intake manifold from 101 octane I linked to before should fit perfectly. Or almost

The other stuff is on the way (nuts, bolts, gaskets, silent-blocks, bearing, etc.). The last thing to get will be a bigger inbox snorkel... Still have to figure it out.

For the Dellorto PHVA TS positionning on the bike, look at the photos:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-04-28 13.30.49.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	331678

Name:	2017-04-28 13.27.08.jpg 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	331679

apriliaforum expert
    i dont know raff.
    1- if this plastic carb bowl rubs on aluminum it will not last a season.
    2- must check clearance with the suspension compressed.
    3- a clamp on carb connection will be easier
    4- forget about the airbox or you will need the a22 needle and slide from dellorto.

---
    i suggest the sha 16mm clamp on carb to fix all 4 problems.

i think you should return it and get the sha then you and jixaw can play with setups/tuning together. the engine looks real clean! if you can make a custom adaptor for the phva then great. either way your getting there.....

---
    i like that adaptor that jixaw posted for you. it is a good example anyway/ that fixes problem 3.

Sublunacy, I understand your concerns, but there's no way that the carb bowl would touch the engine body.

I did some mesurement. I put the old carb on a desk on its side. Air intake side down. Put the new carb on it. Aligned them with a laser. Of course, the PHVA is longer, but only about half an inch.

Name:	2017-04-28 20.09.38.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	331701

And as the carb is above nothing, there's nothing to worry about:

top view:

Name:	2017-04-28 20.19.28.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	331702

back view:

Name:	2017-04-28 20.26.49.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	212.7 KB 
ID:	331703

Also worries about the load on the scooter that could affect the carb position and eventually cause the bowl to touch the engine. The whole set airbox - carb - manifold - reed is mounted on the engine and is moving with the engine. The other end is of course the top of the carb - which is the gas cable, and it could be possibly affected by the load on the scooter, but it seems that also the top of the Dellorto PHVA is similar to the Keihin's PWS.

As I wrote before, there's no way to use the carb without the electric choke here. When I'm leaving to work in the morning in May and September the temperature is around only 10 degrees Centigrade, which is 50 degrees Fahrenheit. It won't start cold without a choke. No way to use a SHA.

The engine is really covered, so again, no possibility to operate a manual choke on the engine. And no place to put the cable on the steering wheel, nor nowhere else:

Name:	2016-06-18 19.56.10.jpg 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	331705

The carb can be accessed after removing the ivory body panel aside the front of the seat, on the left side of the bike. There are 2 screws to remove it...

I'm staying with the airbox, the open filters are too loud. I will adjust the size of the snorkel after getting the scooter together. As I remember jixaw also wanted to stay with the stock airbox because of the noise. I've heard a few open filters, it's awfull.

As for the connection between the carb and the manifold, I will take the final decision within one or two weeks, after getting the intake manifold from the shop and while assembling the engine. Now I have to take off the remains of the silentblocks (from the rear one there's only the external steel tube left, luckily it will be easier with the front ones, are the rubber is still in its place), take the halves apart and finish cleaning the outside of the engine. And finally get the upper exhaust mount welded and repair the lower exhaust mount thread. Those are my next week tasks

apriliaforum Member
    hi guys...very exciting stuff Raff.....love the last pic...you live in a very beautiful countryside....

good luck with fitting the carb....keep me posted on your intake adventures......

I havent purchased a new carb yet and am watching your progress with the intake....it will help me with my decisions.....i too have worries about the bowl hitting the engine or the throttle part contacting the underside if i hit a large bump.....as far as the choke cable....im open to the idea of having it mount somewhere near where the sparkplug door is...i would prefer an electric choke as well but if i have to have manual i might try to figure out a good place near that spark plug door for mounting...

airbox...i think i do prefer the stock airbox....when i 1st got my mojito i had to get it in running condition...the previous owner had drilled 4 1/2inch holes in the airbox.....the scooter was soooo loud even with just these holes in the box that I worried about bothering my neighbors.....i taped over the holes when i was trying to get it back to stock running condition and it was much quieter......
    2003 Vespa ET2 50cc
    2001 Triumph TT600
    1993 Yamaha Razz 50cc

Spark plug door seems in fact a good idea... But still too complicated for me. I'm a "plug and play" type of guy

Thanks, I love this photo, too. This summer I'll take my Bella to a photoshoot, I already have some interesting ideas and places I'll share them (the photos) online when done As for the region, I'm living in one of the three bigest agglomerations in Poland, the most industrialized region in the country. The industry profile has changed a lot in the last 25 years, but we still have a few coal mines and steelworks... I moved in the suburbs two years ago and I adore it. 30 min ride to the city center is not a big thing. I hope I will get down to 20 minutes after the Habana will be ready in a couple of weeks The photo was taken from a hill in the neighborhood some 5 miles from home. I was on a ride with a friend, we had serious problems getting to the hill, though the viewing point is easily accessible by car... The stock 3 HP was not enough

As for the spares, I can have access to spare parts which come from different scooters withdrawn from service at decent prices. Of course the shipping cost to US has to be considered (and eventually all appliable duties / taxes - if there are some, we are part of the EU), but if you won't be able to find something near you or on ebay - just PM me I'll try to help The guy I bought the Habana from owns a few scooters, he's got good supply sources All is of course 100% legal.

I just had an idea of a small electric motor operating the SHA choke lever cable. The electric car radio antenna type, but smaller. Activated with one button on the steering wheel (I think it would be possible to find a place for a single button - for example in the glass (?) mount underneath - I've already put a smartphone / navi mount in the other one). But to cut the choke off it should have an electronic timer, or a thermic sensor, so there's an electronic system to put... Too complicated... It would be much easier on the Custom model
    Last edited by raffaello; 05-01-2017 at 01:15 PM.

apriliaforum Member
    you live in such a pretty area...sounds like a very nice ride to work....i live in the city now (cambridge - usa (think harvard and MIT))...its why i got a scooter...driving a car in boston is just terrible.....

i have taken my girlfriend on the back of my mojito several times....i took her around when it was 50cc one time...it was a little bit sluggish from a dead stop but not too bad....with the 70cc it does very well with 2...we dont have very many steep hills in the city but theres one thats slightly steep and the 70cc seems to not mind 2 people...i rode around with her on the back for a bit...then it ran out of gas...unfortunately for me it ran out of gas in front of a fancy restaurant - she made us eat there ....the one thing about 2 people on a mojito/habana - no footpegs...im thinking of a way to add some..if you have any thoughts let me know....

autochoke - well lets see if theres an option...you might be able to find an electric choke for that carb that you purchased...can the autochoke from the stock carb fit on the new one?...i have seen some choke mounts that go on the handlbar next to the handgrip...youd have to run the cable thru the bodywork and under though.....i have my tach cable running thru the body work and the little tach is adhered to the dash with velcro.....have you installed a tach yet btw?

Thank you for your offer of help with spares...i will do the same for you if you need something from here that you have trouble getting....i think i have access to most things i need....the only thing i might need help with is getting some OEM matching plastic..my mojito is a patchwork right now...i dont plan on getting matching panels until i get her running real good 1st but I will let you know
    2003 Vespa ET2 50cc
    2001 Triumph TT600
    1993 Yamaha Razz 50cc

The area is very pretty to ride. Going to work I'm riding by the side of two large parks and between a couple of fields Very green in fact You wouldn't say it's such an industrial area

No tach yet... But I'm thinking about one... The same as for you - get the Habana running first is the priority What tach do you have?

I think the next thing to buy will be a bullet cam (or eventually a sport cam GoPro type) rather than a tacho, because last year a guy hit me slightly with a car... I had a reflex to instantly turn the other way and nothing serious happened, but he didn't even realised we had contact and he drove off. The only evidence were marks on the bodypanels. And on his door, as I got him a few kms further in a traffic jam before a crossroad... It would be nice to have it recorded for the police or insurrance, just in case I'm rather thinking about a bulletcam, because it's smaller and I think it will make less noise. No idea were to wear it, though... The best would be the helmet mount, but I'd prefer to avoid it. Chest mount or steering wheel are some options, too. If a get a wide angle thing, perhaps a shoulder mount would be enough. It would be also easier to put a bulletcam while riding a bike than a full size sport cam.

Haha, we've stopped in a small restaurant too, while coming back from the trip And yes, the footpegs were missing. I saw mount points covers on the side bodypanels, on the back. It seems that the bodypanel is the same as for the 125 cc, and there are footpegs available for the 125 cc. But no idea if there's a mount point on the frame. Even if there isn't one, perhaps it could be simple to weld it to the frame, as the bodypanel is attached even a few inches further. So it should be possible. Have a look:

Name:  70ee4c6146008e2fe94a66a5c190.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  106.4 KB

I decided to buy the PHVA carb because I found an information on the polish forum that it would fit. Of course I would buy the PHVA with its original choke if the Keihin's wouldn't The stock choke fits perfectly, the only thing to change is the mounting ring. Keihin is mounted on a single screw, Dellorto on two. The shape of the ring is different and the screw is situated in a different place. I already found a Dellotro mounting for around 2 USD And it's only 15 minutes away from my place

As for the helping offer, it's no problem And thanks for yours. It's much easier for me to find something in the US / Canada or even in the EU, as the majority of the shops accept credit cards that we use... and I do speak English, but I'm 'never' saying 'never'. Perhaps I'll have to ask you for some help in the future

-----------------

Update: I had a closer look at my scooter this afternoon, it seems that there are no footpeg mount points on the frame But I'm not 100% sure, the Habana is stripped and staying on the back damper, so I could have been looking at a wrong place... Yeah, looking at both pictures I'm sure I was looking at the wrong place The best would be to put a hand underneath the panel or just take the cover out.
    Last edited by raffaello; 05-02-2017 at 10:36 AM.

apriliaforum Member
    i bought one of those TTO tachs online. I think it was about $30 (usd)... http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/tto its just a long wire that you wrap around the spark plug wire...i mounted it on the dash with velcro

im a hockey player...goalie actually...i use this camera and have mounted it to my goalie mask... https://uhwk.com/ i believe this cost 200 usd ...its very durable and i have taken direct shots to the lens...i havent used it on the scooter yet but i plan to...i can let you see video once i have it mounted to my scooter helmet..i did get a cell phone mount so i could have my phone handy....i tried to shoot video, but it was so shaky that i couldnt see much..i think mounting it to the scooter is not a good option...

pegs...i need to figure out a solution...i also have a vespa et2...they make this for the vespa http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/pr...spa+et2_fa1000 ..im thinking of trying it at some point...if i get it i will see if it fits on the aprilia
    2003 Vespa ET2 50cc
    2001 Triumph TT600
    1993 Yamaha Razz 50cc

jixaw, thanks for the links Like both the helmet cam and the tach, too.

I don't know what are your priorities for the cam, but after having seen lots of onboard cams I assume that 60 fps @ 1080p is a must to be able to read the plate numbers.

Confirmed, there's no mount point for the footpegs on the 50 cc... And the frame looks a little bit different, too. But I think it is workable, but will need some work:

50 cc frame vs 125 cc frame.

apriliaforum Member
    heres a link to a hockey game with a little action https://youtu.be/j6vqFXR1Th8?t=512 i think thats 720p at 60fps..i can do 1080p at 30 fps but i havent tried it yet

I will get the mount on my helmet and do a video soon...we can see if plate numbers show up...

thanks for the side by side of the 2 frames....maybe theres something we can rig up...
    2003 Vespa ET2 50cc
    2001 Triumph TT600
    1993 Yamaha Razz 50cc

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast