Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Habana / Mojito 50 repair + tuning

apriliaforum expert
    i think we can get the manifold to work. a chainsaw file would lengthen the holes so you can rotate the manifold a little.

---
    how bad were the case transfer ports? mine was really bad on one case half.

i really like the chainsaw files for porting and smoothing. i sand the sharp tip.... it works well SIDEWAYS ALSO and smooths bumps and corners and sharp edges. thats how i get the BEST results and its fast and hard to screw up.
    Last edited by sublunacy; 05-09-2017 at 11:52 AM.
    --- diploma for engine repair in 2012 ---

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

previous vehicles - subaru legacy turbo 1991 - mazda mx6 turbo 1990.

apriliaforum prov-nov raffaello's Avatar
    Exactly, sublunacy. That's the tool I'm working with. Though I didn't new its English name before
    Bella 2wheels - 2001 Aprilia Habana / Mojito 50
    Bella 4wheels - 2001 Alfa Romeo 156 Sportwagon 2.0 TS

Italians know how to make it beautiful

apriliaforum expert
    super!

i never had any luck with doing the transfers with the round files. its just to big for the job. the hobby knife gives factory results. even the exhaust port window but 400 grit sandpaper is much more practicle on that.

----
    i think thats it. back to you

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

Got the intake manifold

The side angle is not a problem, a spacer in the front airbox mount will be enough.

The down angle is a little bit more complex. I wanted a trapeze spacer under the reed valve to direct the mixture a few degrees to the front of the engine (more directly to the cylinder), but in order to put the intake manifold as is, the spacer should be reversed, directing the mixture slightly to the back of the engine (the crankcase more precisely).

But those two problems can be fixed simply by adjusting airbox mounts to the engine (they should be moved about 1/2" to the back of the engine. I'll try to use the back mudguard mount to fix the back of the airbox, and a simple flat profile should be OK for the front mount. If the mudguard mount won't work, I'll go for a 2nd flat profile with two threads.

apriliaforum expert
    near bdc the vacuum is only from the transfers. so angle the piston window towards them.

---
    the piston getting to tdc fills the case so the manifold angle should loop the case.

Last edited by sublunacy; 05-11-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Sublunacy - with the new aprilia manifold I have got now three different places where I can connect vacuum hose to:

stock - in the carter, just above the top of the reed valve (valve itself, not the mounting "ring"),

intake - just above the reed valve,

carb - on its side by the slide.

Which should be best? Will it make any difference at all?

apriliaforum expert
    the boost bottle is likely better hooked to the carb or manifold. the fuel pump likely should stay stock but i dont think it matters.

-----
    if you want to jbweld one closed then pick one that is not 90 degrees so you can drill it out in the future if you want to use it.

Thanks sublunacy

The only one that is straight is the stock one. I have no idea how it was keeping pressure, because it has got a 90 degrees pin just put in the hole in the carter, with no thread, gasket nor even grease... I'll just put some high temp resistant silicone in the hole and keep the 90 degrees pin just in case I'll have to return to stock one day. And as the one in the intake manifold is only half an inch higher, it shouldn't have any impact.

Got today the aluminium flat bars, which I'll use as spacers to attach the airbox to the engine.

Found also a snorkel I could use to keep the same principle as the original one.

apriliaforum Member
    i dont have much to update...looking to get a 15mm Dakar SHA on thursday...

fuel gauge...so mine was showing 1/8-1/4 tank and i thought i was close to empty..i filled up and it only needed 1.3 of 2.0 total gallons...so i think my fuel gauge is not as accurate as it should be
    2004 Aprilia Mojito Retro 50cc
    2003 Vespa ET2 50cc
    2001 Triumph TT600
    1993 Yamaha Razz 50cc

apriliaforum Junkie 2Strokesforlife's Avatar
    The mojito holds exacty 2 gallons
    2009 SR 50 Factory
    Malossi 70cc BBK
    Malossi HPC Crankshaft
    Stage6 Waterpump Impeller
    Arrow Extreme Pipe
    Malossi VL 13
    Ecu De-restricted 2.8.0
    7 Gram Dr. Pulley Sliders
    Stage6 Soft Contra Spring
    Water Trap
    RS 24/10
    Stage6 260mm Front Brake
    Stage6 Torque Control MKII 107mm
    Stage6 R/T Clutch Bell 460g
    Malossi Special Belt
    Malossi E5 Air Filter
    Stock Gears Installed

Thanks Guys.

Small update. I got all the stuff, the carter has been welded, the engine cleaned.

The three new silentblocks are mounted, I hope that I'll be able to put the gaskets, bearings and the crankshaft tomorrow. And possibly also the piston / cylinder If everything goes well, I'd like to be ready to put the engine in the frame on Wednesday The last thing to work out would be the new airbox mounts. Keep your fingers crossed

While putting the engine into the frame, I'll take out the fuel level sensor to clean it, or perhaps ajust... It shouldn't take long.

jixaw, how's your new carb?

apriliaforum Member
    Hey there....well the package didnt arrive...looks like it was delayed....i'll get it this week i guess

let me know how you do with that fuel gauge...mine reads lower than id expect
    2003 Vespa ET2 50cc
    2001 Triumph TT600
    1993 Yamaha Razz 50cc

apriliaforum Member
    update...so i was able to get the Dakar SHA 15.15 mounted....the malossi av7 shorty intake adapter is angled a bit so it cocks either up or down....i elected to have it angled down but it seems to be too angled and it might be effecting my float.....

routing the throttle cable was a little tricky as the stock carb uses less "slack" than the sha slide.....

i put in an 80 main jet but that may be too big (it came with a 66)....i have a cable connected to the choke but i havent secured it to the bike yet until im farther along...its just hanging for now

it starts up great and holds an idle well..i smell lots of fuel (probably running rich) and its boggy off throttle...but it sounds awesome...that SHA carb has its own airbox and yes its a little louder than stock but its not bad.. heres a quick video https://youtu.be/9nemcMaadF8

I plan to get back to it this week...i am not going to fiddle with jets or slides until i get the carb to sit level....i will post some pics when i can
    2003 Vespa ET2 50cc
    2001 Triumph TT600
    1993 Yamaha Razz 50cc

apriliaforum Member
    update:

so i flipped that malossie av7 shorty intake adapter so that its angled up rather than down....looks perfect and level (i'll get a pic posted soon)...so i can report that this intake adapter mates up well with the stock intake and this DAKAR SHA 15.15 (15mm)

I fiddled with some jets and wound up putting the 66 main back in...it runs really good right now.... heres a video of me starting it after installing the 66 https://youtu.be/jUnqMkIDhOw

I have been riding it for a couple days now and its been great....im sure i will be fine tuning as i go but i wanted to say thank you to Sublunacy for helping with the Dakar SHA 15.15 ...great suggestion for my kitted mojito ...when i get on the throttle and go wide open i bury the needle way past the indicated 50mph mark.....its so fast that i let off the throttle before its even at top rpm....i would bet that this scooter can hit close to 60 mph

Around $40 USD for the dakar sha 15.15 plus another $25 USD for the intake kit (came with a choke cable) .....i bought some extra jets and slides but i wound up not even needing them.....what a great upgrade for the money...really simple to install and tune...has its own airbox so you dont have to deal with an airbox...one caveat is that its a little bit louder now with that airbox...i dont mind it though

if anyone wants more pics or videos let me know...more than happy to share
    2003 Vespa ET2 50cc
    2001 Triumph TT600
    1993 Yamaha Razz 50cc

Hello Guys,

long time no see... sorry...

jixaw, congrats for your setup I watched all the videos sounds nice

A small update from my side.

I finally put the engine together. After having polished a few elements inside the engine, I decided to polish the side of the head:

Name:  2017-06-04 12.56.27.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  182.1 KB

Then put it into the frame. I made two aluminium spacers to mount the stock air filter on the engine (due to the new manifold and carb it moved some 6 - 8 mm to the outside of the engine and some 12 - 15 mm to the back of it). I was planning to polish them, but are so small, so I decided to leave them brushed. It's OK, they look and fit perfectly. The first encountered problem was the tecnigas silencer. It fits perfectly to the cylinder and the frame, but the more to the back of the engine we go, the closer to the engine it is. I had to bend the mudguard mount to mount the silencer properly, because it touched the rear wheel! Having fixed that I finally started the engine, it works correctly on low RPM, and on high RPM with no load also. It is very responsive to gas, accelerates perfectly (I adore it!!!, almost fell down of the scoot, as I was not prepared to that kind of acceleration But under some load (mine, for example) it doesn't go on high RPMs if the throttle is added quickly, like it wouldn't get enough fuel or air. I took down the air filter, the problem persists, so the cause is rather not enough fuel. All of the fuel / oil hoses are new, the diameter is the same it was before (mainly 6 mm). All of the carb is dell'orto stock. The spark plug is a champion one, stock equivalent.

I have to check how does the spark plug look like. I also have to lift the needle and check the fuel level in the carb.

Then I have to get the scoot to a silencer guy, because the tecnigas needs to be cut and welded in a different angle, I still cannot put the mudguard in place...

I also got a tacho / hour / volt meter from AliExpress yesterday for 15 USD I've checked it yestarday, works great, looks great, it will be installed soon
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-19 14.40.38.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	335706

More to go in a couple of days

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast