Thread: Gilera Dna tunning advice

apriliaforum prov-nov

Gilera Dna tunning advice

Hello, I been looking around on the forums recently, and I would like to ask what contra and clutch springs should i put in my bike, its stock except Gianneli extra v2 exhoust, and also what jet size should i put in 17.5mm dellorto carb on my scooter?

apriliaforum expert
    no contra spring changes needed. clutch springs are for drag racers. you can use them but chance of overheating is increased when cruising in traffic.

how is the takeoff? if it pulls hard like stock then you dont need clutch springs.

-----

jetting the pipe should be easy. try a jet size then check the sparkplug colour. you will need 2-4 new sparkplugs and a jet kit from 60-80. i would try a 62-68 maybe.
    --- diploma for engine repair in 2012 ---

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

previous vehicles - subaru legacy turbo 1991 - mazda mx6 turbo 1990.

apriliaforum expert
    i think that pipe works best on the airsal sport 70cc kit with a stock head. you should not need clutch springs at all.

---
    dialing in the cvt requires a rpm gauge. do you have one?

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

apriliaforum prov-nov
    At the moment i have 80 size jet installed with needle all the way up ant my micture is brown colour, I would like to put a smaller jet in my bike, but I thing my micture would be lean then, and yes I have put red clutch springs in my Dna, with 3.5g rollers bike starts going fine, but with 5g rollers bike is slow on start, but works fine when it picks speed up. Problem with 3.5 rollers is slow speed (75km/h), but with 5g rollers slow start, so i would like to adjust the transmission so I could have decent speed and start

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I have red clutch springs installed for better acceleration, with 3.5 rollers bike accelerates fine, but with 5g rollers bike is slow on start, and also i have 80 jet preinstalled with needle all the way up to allow more fuel and my micture is perfect, but my bike eats lot of fuel, my rpm gauge is not working, and also I'm not willing to spend a lot of money on cylinder kits, i would just like to push maximum out of stock 50cc, not sure what should I do to have good top speed and good acceleration.

apriliaforum expert
    i dont think the pipe is good on 50cc. it does work real good on a tame 70cc kit.

check out the airsal sport 70 price. its not expensive and it uses the stock dome head. runs smooth and you can use the heavy rollers to gain top speed and still have fast throttle responce.

----
    what is going on with the bad jetting choice and bad needle clip choice? explain the airbox. is it stock? it just sounds awefull badly tuned/ im just wondering how a 68 and the needle at 3-4 clip cannot be close.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Airbox is completly stock , and yeah i get pretty bad fuel economy like maybe 5l/50km .I'm just 16 years old , working on scooters for a hobby , maybe i should get a different pipe then, it would be cheaper. And if i should get a different pipe, what pipe should i buy?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Oh and also i can see a little bit of sunlight looking throught the reeds, could that be the reason of bad fuel economy?

apriliaforum expert
    the airsal is really cheap and its easy to install.

there is a tecnigas that rocks on a 50cc but i am afraid to tell you wich one because it stinks on 70cc. i just dont think age or price is good reason not to finish the build with a 70cc unless your bbk is illegal like france or quebec.

--
    yes the reeds... i was just going to say that. you can try turning the bad reed over/ try it for 5 miles and see if its ok. but running the cheap malossi inserts will fix that.

--
    is it liquid cooled big guy ?

apriliaforum expert
    70cc airsal sport bbk
    malossi reed inserts
    idle jet 34 maybe..
    main jet kit from 60-80
    -----
    done
    -----
    nets a 8hp at 8000rpm and a stock clutch take-off with a 9000rpm overev and top speed of 90km/h on the flats. stock it had 6hp tops at 7500rpm or so.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Well I sayd my age because, I don't have a job , I'm just a student and not a a big fan of asking parients for money, yea its liquid cooled, I allready ordered new reeds, hope it helps with the fuel economy, guess I'm gonna have to save for the new cylinder kit.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    What do you think about mallossi sport 70cc?

apriliaforum expert
    malossi is great but twice the price. i dont think its better.

----
    good job so far. no summer job? cut small lawns or apply at a golf course for the summer maybe. msg me if you need anything.

apriliaforum Junkie 2Strokesforlife's Avatar
    Sublunacy nailed it on the jetting.
    Get some rollers that are a little heavier (4grams should have came with the pipe ). If the rollers are too light, the rpm's will be too high and top speed will suffer.
    Make sure there is no restrictor cone in the pipe.
    Make sure there is no restrictor washer between the variator and outer pulley. This is the most important.
    If it has the Piaggio engine, you should reach at least 80-85 kmh when properly derestricted and jetted.
    Read the sticky on how to derestrict the engine.
    Also make sure you use the search at the top of the screen as you will find many useful tips and others' experience of what works and what doesn't. Your bike may be different but the engine is the same.
    Last edited by 2Strokesforlife; 04-03-2017 at 10:15 PM.
    2009 SR 50 Factory
    Malossi 70cc BBK
    Malossi HPC Crankshaft
    Stage6 Waterpump Impeller
    Arrow Extreme Pipe
    Malossi VL 13
    Ecu De-restricted 2.8.0
    7 Gram Dr. Pulley Sliders
    Stage6 Soft Contra Spring
    Water Trap
    RS 24/10
    Stage6 260mm Front Brake
    Stage6 Torque Control MKII 107mm
    Stage6 R/T Clutch Bell 460g
    Malossi Special Belt
    Malossi E5 Air Filter
    Fuelab 535 FPR
    Glowshift Dual Needle Gauge
    Stock Gears Installed

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I have already derestricted the exhoust and everything, with 4.75g rollers my bike seems to be running pretty well, just whanna get the most out of my 50cc.