Thread: New Mods Planned - Got question please.

apriliaforum newb

Question New Mods Planned - Got question please.

New here, so if you have any suggestions or directions to some answers that I have missed, everything is greatly appreciated.

I have a 2002 Scarabeo 50 (Minarelli Engine). Been wanting to get more performance from it. I'm in Switzerland now for the next month and am ordering parts while in the region. Here's what i have got so far:

Tecnigas Trek pipe
    1500 RPM Clutch Spring set
    Set of Carb jets
    Set of 2g - 13g roller weights for testing
    Kevlar Belt
    Tachometer (for tuning at right RPM's)

Q's:

Where can i find torque specs for this scooter? Or does anyone have any recommendations on standards?

Any recommendations on a start point with the above kits (jet kit, roller weights) cosidering the pipe. The only manufacurer recomendation is to go 30% stronger on the clutch spring. Cant find a straight answer on the stock RPM spring, so i guessed the 1500 would be good.

TIA,

Ken

apriliaforum expert
    hey man. welcome.
    what are you doing with the bike? city driving/touring?

the trek is a problem pipe. its meant to go with the airsal racing cylinder and crankshaft. plus the exhust manifold diameter is a huge 24mm.

what carb do you have? im not really familiar with the min engines... but i can still help alot.
    Last edited by sublunacy; 03-23-2017 at 03:22 PM. Reason: minerelli
    --- diploma for engine repair in 2012 ---

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

previous vehicles - subaru legacy turbo 1991 - mazda mx6 turbo 1990.

apriliaforum expert
    it has a 12mm carb but the cvt is easy to tune compared to a piaggio.

---
    have you asked any scooter tuners how a 12mm carb can power a 24mm exhaust with 3 times the cfm the carb has?

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks for the welcome and info. I ordered the Trek pipe because the Tecnigas website said it was for this scooter. I researched the specs and it seemed to perform best for my price point. So are you saying it wont fit or I'll just have to upgrade the carb?

TIA

apriliaforum newb
    I havent asked anyone.... just watching youtuber's.... I can buy a different carb if need be. I'm in Switzerland till May, so i cant look at the carb and tell, just trying to round up performance parts for a spring project. Would you suggest changing out the carb? or?

TIA

apriliaforum newb
    Sublancy... to answer your question. I just get around town. Bought the 50cc to be able to avoid parking drama when i go into the city. I just want a quicker response for traffic.... seems to be sluggish at any speed. Will never go over 45 mph, so just quicker acceleration is the target here... little more juice.

apriliaforum newb
    This is the article i read before deciding on the Trek... http://www.pedparts.co.uk/blog/tecnigas-exhaust

apriliaforum expert
    all the replacement carbs are set up for open filters. they are very loud. much louder than the exhaust.

---
    i will agree the dyno does look good. probly why i got a trek first aswell. the silencer falls off in one month. locktight the 10mm nuts holding it together.

---
    most people in traffic like a 2000rpm clutch with a 70cc sport cyl and a pipe that powers from 2000-8000rpm.
    your building a 5000-9000rpm bike. you need one of everything except the rear pulley.

---
    i recommend a 2000-8000rpm pipe for city driving anyway.

---
    perhaps an airsal 70 sport bbk with everything else stock is the best place to start. then get a touring pipe. done. or a bigger carb after the bbk....then a 2000-8000rpm sport pipe like a yasuni z
    Last edited by sublunacy; 03-25-2017 at 10:24 AM.

apriliaforum expert
    i think other min owners will say - get a bbk and a clutch. also a 16mm-17mmcarb. if you get a 19-21mm carb you wont use half of it becauase of the rpms its hitting.

---
    i would look into a 16mm carb upgrade and a clutch that matches the pipe allways. then you are free to use a bbk and any sport pipe- the trek is still a weird pipe.....

apriliaforum Junkie 2Strokesforlife's Avatar
    I'd say with the parts you have listed, she'll have more pep in her step as long as it's jetted correctly and the trans is properly tuned. Remember, it's only 49cc so you won't be breaking any speed records (unless your willing to spend 1000's and sacrafice reliability).

I hope these are the specs you're looking for...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170325_155922.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	329442
    2009 SR 50 Factory
    Malossi 70cc BBK
    Malossi HPC Crankshaft
    Stage6 Waterpump Impeller
    Arrow Extreme Pipe
    Malossi VL 13
    Ecu De-restricted 2.8.0
    7 Gram Dr. Pulley Sliders
    Stage6 Soft Contra Spring
    Water Trap
    RS 24/10
    Stage6 260mm Front Brake
    Stage6 Torque Control MKII 107mm
    Stage6 R/T Clutch Bell 460g
    Malossi Special Belt
    Malossi E5 Air Filter
    Stock Gears Installed

apriliaforum newb
    Hey guys... thanks for all the insight. I will post the results of the project once i get back to the states and the project gets under way. BTW... anyone know if putting an Italian number plate on the scoot is legal (I live in Colorado)?

apriliaforum newb
    Sublancy,

With the airsal 70 sport bbk, does it matter if i get the kit with the cylinder head or will my stock one be fine?

apriliaforum expert
    the stock one is fine. the stock heads are good for you. it might get a little louder with a better head aswell as a little more power but they dont like jetting problems or the shit hits the fan. the stocks dome heads run smooth no matter what.

--
    i cant comment on the compression ratio/ dome size..... i dont think it is worth debating. if you find out the specs on the two setups you will have found the answer.

apriliaforum expert
    you might have a good setup here. i am thinking more about the things i liked about the trek.... it seems it has peak power at 8000rpm. thats good for the stock cvt. also good for the airsal sport bbk with its 8000rpm peak power.
    i liked the sound ok. its a little loud but not like a race pipe.

-

Good luck - make tecnigas proud!