Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Aprilia miss it's opportunity to revamp the Shiver/Dorsoduro?

apriliaforum Member

Did Aprilia miss it's opportunity to revamp the Shiver/Dorsoduro?

I want to hear what you all have to say on this. 2017/2018 is looking like its going to be huge for NEW bikes. Tons of new bikes are being revealed and new tech is finally making its way to consumer versions without the huge mark up for "Special editions"

And I am wondering if Aprilia has missed a key moment in which it needed to keep itself relevant?

Aprilia right not has 13 models built off TWO platforms.... "Counting the Cap 1200 as a Shiver/Duro platform. It IS based off that platform after all."

Yes Aprilia's V4 WAS a huge success for Aprilia. But I feel its narrow minded to think that, that success can keep carrying them. After all wasn't the Shiver and Duro sopost to be Aprilia's entry level Aprilia bikes? Bikes that were SOPOST to get people into the Aprilia brand?

What I am getting at is punching out a 8 year old model to 900cc isnt going to get new traffic. This might have been the worst time for Aprilia to cheap out on a revamp. Especially when this category has never been so competitive.

I would just hate for Aprilia to have a abysmal next few years with the Shiver and Dosoduro. Than they go and put the blame on the bikes thinking people just must not want these kinds of bikes. When in fact its the other way around. Only people had better options available to them because Aprilia isn't giving the models the attention they deserve.

And the Fact they JUST punched the motors out to 900. "And lets be seriously for a second they only did this to meet Euro 4 that is all"
    So, I doubt Aprilia has any plans to do ANYTHING with these models anytime soon.

And by the time they do comprehend the situation its going to be too little too late. And I bet that the Aprilia brand will end up going down to a SINGLE platform company.

You could be right. I'm worried it hasn't lost enough weight to compete with something like the MT09. Maybe they are waiting for the Euro 5 for a big update? They also need a 1200+ model again. Maybe they just don't have the money either?
    Current bikes - 2012 Tuono V4

Blog/Website - www.onthebackwheel.com

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I happen to agree, it does seem more of a tide-me-over than an actual update, what with all the recycled parts. The adjustable fork is interesting at least.

It'll be hard to lose a lot of weight without re-engineering all of the frame and engine components, given these were always intended to be used with the Caponord as well.

Piaggio should have plenty of money, but as far as promoting their "sporty" brand goes, they're spending a lot on motorsport. And that's the issue, it is just a brand to them, one they can leverage to try to make themselves look cool. Are these mild 900s part of their plan to penetrate Eastern markets?

On that note, are they going to be making something to fit into the strengthening 250 / 300 market first? Aprilia have a strong history racing 250s and there is that new Supersport 300 championship about to debut...

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    The 750/900/1200cc motors were designed as "modular" type powerplants. I am quite surprised it has this long for the 900cc to see the light of day and was really hoping for massive changes to the Shiver/Dorso for the coming model year. That said, sometimes only small changes are required to really alter the total riding experience for a given bike. Stateside delivery is late in the year so I I guess most of us will just have to wait and see whether the change to the overall package is a mere 150cc of extra power or something a bit more profound.

In response to the 250/300cc question I too feel this is where Aprilia needs to concentrate right now. A simple single or even parallel twin motor wrapped in a bitchin' package is the bike many Aprilia enthusiasts have been waiting over a decade for here in the USA and I assume in other parts of the global market. I wish the RS4 (125cc) was sold here if for no reason other than Aprilia's entry level bike back in their best days was the RS50, that bike introduced many of us to the brand we have come to have a long term relationship with to this day.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Hit the nail on the head Micah.

I'm still looking forward to the 900. if it has a big torque boost, bit less weight and tweaks it could be perfect for someone like me where the Tuono is overkill haha.
    Current bikes - 2012 Tuono V4

Blog/Website - www.onthebackwheel.com

Probably two years late but the bike market is bad so inventory to deplete. Good and safe/reliable oversquare design, but in a very competitive segment..

Kayaba forks and light tuono wheels. New dash and tech gizmos too. I'd rather a crossover with side pipe.

Hope the reported power numbers are due to laziness...lol

Some media would be nice! All the KTM "beast" vids worked imho

apriliaforum Member
    Tweaking a bike is fine and all when a model is still competitive. But, I feel like these models desperately needed a total overhaul. Like I pointed out this is a 8 year old design.

Everything about it is out dated. I mean every buddy gave the Nuda crap because it weighed 383lbs dry. And the DD750 weighed 409lbs dry. Now the DD900 is at 430lbs dry . "Maybe wrong on figured just googled it" That's a +50lbs of weight there.

Than there is the huge under seat exhaust "Which I have always hated" And the fuel tanks is as tinny as ever!

These are HUGE problems for the model. Refining a bike is all well and good but at some point you are just putting makeup on a dead pig.
    If just refining a bike is all it takes to make a better bike year over year than I guess Suzuki has the best bikes ever made.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Love the underseat exhaust why i fell in love w the rxv plus it was a v twin

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
    Love the underseat exhaust why i fell in love w the rxv plus it was a v twin
    Why? I can only think of negatives when it comes to under tail exhausts. I know some people like the "look" of it but thats all it does. Personally for me. I have always hated the undertail exhaust on the Doro and Shiver for how massive they are. Undertail exhaust can be cosmetically pleasing if they do it right. But thats about it.

The negatives are the heat, weight, it take away usable space "And every little bit of usable space is extremely important", and it adds bends to the exhaust potentially robbing horsepower. Another small negative is the fact it makes any aftermarket exhausts made for it more expensive.

What I would like them to do. Is remove the undertail exhaust and use that free space to add more fuel. That would be a god send.
    And if they want to add something for looks add a single side swing arm to it.

I'm not personally a fan of underseat pipes UNLESS they are more or less required for a given engine configuration or situation. Probably the best part about underseat pipes is at least they seldom get any damage in a drop or crash making repair cheaper and total loss insurance claims less frequent. A larger metal tank would be a stroke of brilliance on almost all modern Euro sport bikes.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    The 750/900/1200cc motors were designed as "modular" type powerplants. I am quite surprised it has this long for the 900cc to see the light of day and was really hoping for massive changes to the Shiver/Dorso for the coming model year. That said, sometimes only small changes are required to really alter the total riding experience for a given bike. Stateside delivery is late in the year so I I guess most of us will just have to wait and see whether the change to the overall package is a mere 150cc of extra power or something a bit more profound.

In response to the 250/300cc question I too feel this is where Aprilia needs to concentrate right now. A simple single or even parallel twin motor wrapped in a bitchin' package is the bike many Aprilia enthusiasts have been waiting over a decade for here in the USA and I assume in other parts of the global market. I wish the RS4 (125cc) was sold here if for no reason other than Aprilia's entry level bike back in their best days was the RS50, that bike introduced many of us to the brand we have come to have a long term relationship with to this day.
    Why not go whole hog with a 300cc V4?
    Pricey I know but imagine the howl that beastie would make!
    "Some mfers are always trying to ice-skate uphill."

Just a guess here but I would venture the market for even the most bad ass V4 powered 300cc bike would not support a price tag in excess of $20,000 USD. From a manufacturing standpoint it costs the same to make a V4 engine basically be it 300,600,800,1000 or more cc's as the parts count remains the same.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

I think the Shiver is one of the better midrange sports-tourers around. Indeed, when I crashed my first one, I bought another. I agree that a bit of weight reduction would be great, but apart from the wheels and exhaust, this would require a major redesign. I think there are benefits in refining an existing model, including reliability. There are more electrical and other issues with the first version of the Shiver than with the second generation (that with the narrower rear tyre etc). I considered getting a BMW F800, but the earlier ones had a range of important issues.
    So a further iteration of the 750 into a 900 is a good idea, but they should have reduced weight.
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

Seeing Yamaha XSR900s is always a pleasant thing, a sport-retro standard motorcycle. It has some real performance in its engine room. I wish Mr. Galluzzi would do something along those lines with the Shiver 900: a fuel tank with some vintage racer styling cues, a nice flat double saddle, and a big round headlight (remember those 8-inchers?) punching out tons of lumens. Clean and simple, don't overthink it. But I'm not the boss.

If it absolutely has to have wire wheels then it must be a 100% reliable sealing system designed for tubeless tires. None of this O-ring on each spoke nipple nonsense, where you have 72 individual pieces to fail and let air out.

So, after much waiting we finally have a demo Dorso 900 and I have been taking it to lunch and such putting break-in miles on it. I do have to say that it is MUCH better than the 750cc version of the bike (will loft front wheel with minimal provocation for instance) and it is pretty close to an ideal "city" bike. Obviously it is capable of extended highway use but, where it seems to excel for me is around town, plenty of punch at any rpm for passing without planning X-number of downshifts, runs smoothly down to pretty close to lugging motor rpm and has the midrange missing from the 750cc version along with an eagerness to pull to the redline missing from the 750cc version. Comparing to the long missing 1200cc motor is interesting, it is not really "that much" less in terms of seat of the pants power, sure the 1200cc obviously had more punch off the bottom but the gearing Aprilia chase for the 900cc version really narrows the gaps in what you "ass-dyno" reports. Once it gets some more miles put on it I will throw it up on the dyno for some basic comparative analysis and see what the hard numbers sort of differences really are.

We have had a stack of used FZ7/FZ8/FZ6/FZ09 stuff here used in the last few years so comparisons to the FZ07 seem interesting. Out of the box suspension on the Aprilia is light years better in terms of both compliance and feel to the Yamaha even though only one fork leg offers adjustability, this is not really an issue that I feels hinders the bike in any way for street use and there are far more trackday suited bikes on the used market for cheap, just scan your local CraigsList for examples. On a short track the DD900 would be more than capable of playing with the other bikes but in my mind a sports type bike is a trackday bike, I never personally got into the whole SuperMoto thing as I did not grow up on dirtbikes like so many others did. In terms of power the DD900 definitely feels more aggressive than the Yamaha, it is sharper, meaner and more eager than the Yamaha, bottom line.

I would say the same basic truths hold for comparing to the FZ09 but the motor character of that bike is nicer than the FZ07, that extra cylinder seems to help Yamaha a lot there but as a package both Yamaha's are fairly good feeling motors really let down by spongy chassis feel and brakes that while they work are by no means the equal of the the Aprilia.

The redline seems a bit low on the Dorsoduro but, this may in fact only really be the reality that it revs so quickly the rev limiter has caught me by surprise a few times if nothing else. Parking lot speed maneuvering is effortless and you can confidently make REALLY tight u-turns and what not, playing into that "ideal urban combat vehicle" sort of feeling.

AnyI promised some initial impressions and there they are. We have a demo, if you are local come try it out and see what you think!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast