Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a very nice 748

Picked up a very nice 748

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0757.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	328862

A new addition to the stable, something to keep my Caponord company. Wife seems to approve!...previous owner is the kind of person you'd want to buy a motorbike from, very lucky in that regard. So far only person other than Micah that I was 100% okay with the purchase. First track day June 3, bring it on!!!!!!
    2015 Aprilia Caponord 1200
    1999 Ducati 748

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Congrats, love those older Ducati's and now that they are not crazy money they are totally track day toy league. Years ago there was a lot of discussion about swapping in other motors to those chassis, never really saw many completed but the idea has always been a bit fascinating to me.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Nice Dave!
    JD

'01 Futura

Yup nice bike saw a nice 916 parked at the Superbikes this year always liked that shape .

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Nice purchase Dave, cool bike, now when do you start yoga classes?
    "The Earth is our ancestor....A restless Planet is our creator"..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler.

The hot babe is a nice touch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

- Tim

2015 Piaggio Fly 150 - "It's small and white?"
    2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory - holy crap
    2003 Moto Guzzi California Titanium - DungeonMaster's old steed

Very nice find!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by disco dave View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0757.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	328862

A new addition to the stable, something to keep my Caponord company. Wife seems to approve!...previous owner is the kind of person you'd want to buy a motorbike from, very lucky in that regard. So far only person other than Micah that I was 100% okay with the purchase. First track day June 3, bring it on!!!!!!
    Great bike! Loved mine for all 30k+ miles I put on her. Adjustable steering head angle adjuster can be suspect along with bearings. Good idea to pull them and inspect. Have fun!
    In the garage now......
    '04 Ducati MTS1000DS Multistrada, '16 Aprilia 1100 Tuono Factory, '09 Aprilia Shiver 750

Used to be in the garage......
    '13 Ducati 1199R Panigale, '13 Suzuki DRZ400SM, '09 ZX10R, '09 Suzuki DRZ400SM, '07 GSX750R, '06 Speed Triple, '04 ZX10R, '02 BMW R1100S Boxer Cup prep, '98 Ducati 748 Mono, '92 Suzuki 400 Bandit, '90 ZX7R Ninja, '89 ZX9R Ninja, '89 GT650 Hawk, '87 ZX750 Ninja, '86 Yamaha FZ600, '85 GPz750, '83 CB650 Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    Congrats, love those older Ducati's and now that they are not crazy money they are totally track day toy league. Years ago there was a lot of discussion about swapping in other motors to those chassis, never really saw many completed but the idea has always been a bit fascinating to me.
    Thanks Micah was actually camping on that gsxr 750 you had for sale at the shop till i found this gem on the economy. Will definitely seek your jedi level knowledge on this thing as maintenance schedule is daunting. Lots to talk about, but shop visit scheduled soon! Id nothing else see you at the motogp party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1999 Ducati 748

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
    Nice purchase Dave, cool bike, now when do you start yoga classes?
    My wife (fitness instructor) is already starting to beat me into the Ducati shape!

1999 Ducati 748

Quote Originally Posted by laker213 View Post
    The hot babe is a nice touch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Easy now, Timmy...

1999 Ducati 748

Nice score Dave! My brother in law has that same bike sitting in his garage in upstate NY, going to waste. I don't think he's ridden it (at ALL!) in over 3 years. I've been leaning on him to sell it to me as a 2nd track day bike, but he keeps resisting. I think I'm going to have to start getting nasty and talking to his wife about it so she'll pressure him to sell it. It's a dirty trick, I know, but a man has to do what he has to do!!!
    I find tinsel very distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by NUMBER41 View Post
    Nice score Dave! My brother in law has that same bike sitting in his garage in upstate NY, going to waste. I don't think he's ridden it (at ALL!) in over 3 years. I've been leaning on him to sell it to me as a 2nd track day bike, but he keeps resisting. I think I'm going to have to start getting nasty and talking to his wife about it so she'll pressure him to sell it. It's a dirty trick, I know, but a man has to do what he has to do!!!
    Yeah, id say start laying on the leverage now to get that bike unstuck, but i would be worried a bit on the length it has sat. But nothing a few shots of carb cleaner cant solve, right? They will certainly never remake this shape

1999 Ducati 748

Yeah, it has a bit of a sordid history. It went back for a total engine rebuild due to flaking/delamination of the cam lobes, probably a year after he bought it. Good news is that he was stationed in Italy at the time, so it actually went to a "real" Ducati shop for the work. I figure it will need all new soft parts, a tank flush, and injector clean. Not to mention the standard fluid flushes and replacements. But, I think I can get it for a decent price considering that I know the owner quite well, and know that it's going to waste sitting in the garage. I've even used the "if I ever decide to sell it, you get first dibs" maneuver, but he's still entrenched. I'll keep working on him, though. Hope yours turns out to be a hoot!
    I find tinsel very distracting.

Well took her out on her maiden voyage, both for me in this area and for the bike with my fat ass parked on top of it. Realized very quickly how spoiled i have been all those years living in San Antonio near to all those fantastic riding roads. Was really hard to find anything enjoyable that didn't require an hour long upright ride out of town to get to it. Finally found some curves out on FM1488 between Magnolia and Hempstead. But worth the hellacious straight out stoplight ridden 30 mph average ride out to access??? Time will tell i suppose

1999 Ducati 748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast