Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 SR50R, Tuning Recommendations

apriliaforum newb

2012 SR50R, Tuning Recommendations

Hi All,

I am a new member of the Aprilia club, nice to be here and chat with you all.

I have been reading the forum and trying to learn about tuning my new little scoot for about a month now.

Your contributions have been most helpful in helping me plan my tuning strategy and I would like to extend my gratitude to members as I have found the forum really informative, so thank you.

Ok, my situation:-

Public transport sucks my state, Train/Bus is horrible and I have handed over more cash to uber than I have in my bank account at the moment, so the objective is to change that.

I can ride a 50cc on my car licence, I have been riding a Chinese scoot for awhile now but it's not a reliable sport/street tuning platform. It's got me by until now but it's time to move on and frankly, Fred Flintstone has better brakes.

Enter the best scooter I can afford, a used 3000K/1850mile 2012 Aprilia SR50 R, currently stock, not sure if it's carb model as I pick it up tomorrow, suspect it is as I am in Australia and they stopped importing the Ditechs to Oz (due to cost I think).

So I need a reliable daily rider to get me too and from work (16kms/10miles) per day.

Not too worried about top end, it would be nice to get to 80km/50mph but really want to be quick off the line and responsive through from 0 to 60km/38mph.

I have used and like the malossi products previously, I have a malossi variator on my current scoot that performs well.

As a result, I was thinking about the Malossi multivar 2000 plus a pipe, I see the Leo Vince stuff gets a few good reviews but some of the forum questions are now a few years old and was wondering if there have been any new product releases since then that you would recommend.

I suspect I will end up with a Malossi cast iron 70cc kit installed in the end but thinking it would be cost effective if some or all of the parts were able to be used in that upgrade if needed. I read the molossi kit does not involve a crank upgrade or machining and I would prefer not too go as far as changing the crank on such a low mileage scoot if I can avoid it.

Would really Appreciate any input you have, thank you.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sr50r3-1.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	328760

apriliaforum Junkie 2Strokesforlife's Avatar
    Welcome to the Forum! If it's the one in the picture, it's carbed. I can tell because of the small metal plate above the ignition. Also, it'll have a kick start. If your looking for maximum reliability, get a cast iron sport cylinder that has a piston with 2 rings. Malossi and Top Performance both have top notch cylinder kits with great quality and durability. Your crank will last quite a while with a sport cylinder. The Yasuni R is a great pipe and there should be no need to change the variator. The Piaggio engine is pretty much spot on. You'll have to tune the transmission (rollers at least) and rejet the carb to take advantage of the increase in power and make everything work in unison. Top speed will be about the same but getting there will be much better.
    2009 SR 50 Factory
    Malossi 70cc BBK
    Malossi HPC Crankshaft
    Stage6 Waterpump Impeller
    Arrow Extreme Pipe
    Malossi VL 13
    Ecu De-restricted 2.8.0
    7 Gram Dr. Pulley Sliders
    Stage6 Soft Contra Spring
    Water Trap
    RS 24/10
    Stage6 260mm Front Brake
    Stage6 Torque Control MKII 107mm
    Stage6 R/T Clutch Bell 460g
    Malossi Special Belt
    Malossi E5 Air Filter
    Stock Gears Installed

apriliaforum expert
    malossi 70cc and a yazuni Z. no need to change the sr50 clutch or variator with that pipe or engine. the stock vario has a ramp up for best accel and top speed/ the more torque you make at 8000rpm the better it works.

---

if you mess around with other stuff it will only go slower. dont get a pipe that makes peak hp over 8000rpm or you will have to replace everything to gain 1 more hp. its not worth the cost and unreliable/loud. keep it to 8000rpm peak hp and it will leave the yamahas behind.
    --- diploma for engine repair in 2012 ---

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

previous vehicles - subaru legacy turbo 1991 - mazda mx6 turbo 1990.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Strokesforlife View Post
    Welcome to the Forum! If it's the one in the picture, it's carbed. I can tell because of the small metal plate above the ignition. Also, it'll have a kick start. If your looking for maximum reliability, get a cast iron sport cylinder that has a piston with 2 rings. Malossi and Top Performance both have top notch cylinder kits with great quality and durability. Your crank will last quite a while with a sport cylinder. The Yasuni R is a great pipe and there should be no need to change the variator. The Piaggio engine is pretty much spot on. You'll have to tune the transmission (rollers at least) and rejet the carb to take advantage of the increase in power and make everything work in unison. Top speed will be about the same but getting there will be much better.
    spot on. the piaggio allready has the things the yamahas are missing. like the huge airbox and huge carb / also stock piaggio cvt is tuned into a 3 speed. hence the greater accel AND top speed.

the yasuni r needs a 5000rpm clutch. the yasuni z needs nothing. its hard to say beyond that. the z is easier to dial in the carb and roller weight. the r gets more over revs......

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

apriliaforum newb
    Hi,

Thank you both for the warm welcome and taking the time to reply.

Confirmed it's the Carb model (C364 engine), dam good eye you've got there 2Strokes.

Ok, The Yasuni pipes look awesome, expensive but worth it I guess. But the way I look at it is this could have been money I would have pumped into the Multivar 2000 had it not been for your advice.

How about ECU derestriction or upgrade, do I need to get that remapped or run an after market ECU for the 70cc to run smooth? HGH is not an option for me as I am outside of the US.

The only aftermarket ECU I have found on the web (70cc AF1Racing) was for the Morini engine, I did find the Malossi TC Unit K15 with Magent/RPM control (Part#5513196) but not sure if the would do the same thing, sounds like it removes the RPM restriction, is that all the aftermarket ECU's do or does the remap include better response throughout the rev range?

Can't wait to get this little thing going like it should.

I will update the post with pics once I have time to get parts together and get to work.

Thanks Again.

apriliaforum expert
    theres the gianelli extra aswell. just not as nice a sound and it sucks on everything except a sport 70cc.

a vforce reed is the ticket instead of the ignition for the piaggio. i cant think of anything else.

---
    the stock rollers are 7.5 grams. they are perfect to start out with. later you can get a set a half gram heavier and a set a half gram lighter. then mix and match them to dial it it for the rider weight.

apriliaforum expert
    if you like to tune a fast rig then maybe the r is for you. if you want to drop in an upgrade that is easy to tune and figure out then the z will be dead simple to tune. it has the long overrevs aswell but it just tappers off after 8000rpm where the r has that extra top end that the tuners like.

the z is pretty awesome... check out a trophy 70cc/dr70 and a yasuni z..... it would be a good choice too or perhaps just a future upgrade for kicks. gains maybe 1hp above the malossi but goes like crazey....real nice together.
    ----
    Last edited by sublunacy; 03-18-2017 at 07:52 PM.

Don't worry about any ECU derestriction, that's only for the DiTech fuel injection system. Making sure you have the carb properly jetted is the same thing. More displacement needs more fuel. Too lean, and everything goes BANG...
    2009 SR 50 Factory
    Malossi 70cc BBK
    Malossi HPC Crankshaft
    Arrow Extreme Pipe
    Malossi VL 13
    Ecu De-restricted 2.8.0
    Water Trap
    RS 24/10
    Stage6 260mm Front Brake
    Malossi Special Belt
    Malossi E5 Air Filter
    Stock Gears Installed

I have a DiTech but I like this sub-forum because we never got the carbed model here in the States. The bikes are pretty much exactly the same except for fuel delivery. That and there's a greater selection of aftermarket bits for the carb model (and cheaper too).
    2009 SR 50 Factory
    Malossi 70cc BBK
    Malossi HPC Crankshaft
    Arrow Extreme Pipe
    Malossi VL 13
    Ecu De-restricted 2.8.0
    Water Trap
    RS 24/10
    Stage6 260mm Front Brake
    Malossi Special Belt
    Malossi E5 Air Filter
    Stock Gears Installed

apriliaforum newb
    Cool,

Thanks for clarifying the ECU and exhaust stuff.

I have a Gianelli reverse on my Chinese scoot 1E40QMB Minarelli, they always seem to carry oil or look oil'y on the pipe, might be my shitty current tune but I have noticed in a lot of gianelli photos this seems a common thing with them so I was looking to change brands and try something else. That and sound wise they do suck, as you mentioned.

I like the idea of the Yasuni R, but once you factor in the additional price of the fly clutch and the easy tune of the Z I'd have to say it's the Z winning at the moment. I can always revisit this when the Z needs repacked, swap it out with the R and keep the Z as my backup, I should have a better feel for the bike and the tune by that stage.

Sorry if I seem to favour Malossi a little but it's taken from Scooter McGee's guide on this forum, located here, http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...-49c-2T-Tuning

Which basically suggests sticking with big name brands (Polini/Malossi) for parts, I am sure there are other great brands out there but I only have time and the cash right now to mod once, not try multiple brands, which I will in time.

So the parts list is looking like:-
    MALOSSI CAST-I-CYLINDER KIT 47 pin 12 H2O - 317353 (You have me thinking about the TP as an option also, will check that out)
    YASUNI Z
    Dellorto 17.5 Main Jet Kit 60-100
    Dellorto 17.5 Idle/power jet kit 32-40 (Also seen posts saying only focus on the main jet and don't touch the rest as it will never be right)
    Malossi Roller Kit 4g-8g
    Malossi Contra Spring kit, All 3, think they are 1k, 1.5K and 2K.
    Malossi Clutch Spring kit, All 3, as above.
    Reed Upgrade:- Vforce or Malossi VL-16 (still to investigate)
    Will also put a new belt on if required, miles are low but it's been sitting in storage with little use for the last year or two.

How do they go with the Dr Pully sliders? I would be keen to try them also if they work in the stock vario.

Will check the Air Filter to see if that needs replacing but have seen the mod about blocking off the 2nd part of the air filter, is this needed?
    Last edited by WOTsUP?; 03-18-2017 at 10:04 PM.

Scooter McGee's thread sums it up perfectly.

Your parts list looks great but don't waste your time with the VL 16. You have to machine the intake portion of the cases to get it to fit. The VL 13 and the Vforce are both excellent choices.

I like my Dr. Pulley sliders, they fit perfectly (19x15.5) and are more expensive than traditional rollers but last much longer. I haven't personally compared them side by side.

As far as the air filter, it'll only need to be replaced if it's ripped or torn. Just clean it like any other foam filter. If you do replace it, Malossi makes a direct replacement that flows better. Beware, if you get rid of the stock air box and get a pod filter, it will be LOUD. In fact, the pod filter will be about twice as loud as the exhaust and potentially make carb tuning more difficult. I like mine and use the excuse that I want people to know where I'm at. Kinda like the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" motto. Plus where I live, there are no noise laws for two wheeled vehicles.

I don't really know what you mean by the "2nd part of the air filter", I'm gonna look into that...
    2009 SR 50 Factory
    Malossi 70cc BBK
    Malossi HPC Crankshaft
    Arrow Extreme Pipe
    Malossi VL 13
    Ecu De-restricted 2.8.0
    Water Trap
    RS 24/10
    Stage6 260mm Front Brake
    Malossi Special Belt
    Malossi E5 Air Filter
    Stock Gears Installed

If you mean the S.A.S (Secondary Air System), it's meant for the stock exhaust and is rendered useless when an aftermarket pipe is installed.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...this-part-does
    2009 SR 50 Factory
    Malossi 70cc BBK
    Malossi HPC Crankshaft
    Arrow Extreme Pipe
    Malossi VL 13
    Ecu De-restricted 2.8.0
    Water Trap
    RS 24/10
    Stage6 260mm Front Brake
    Malossi Special Belt
    Malossi E5 Air Filter
    Stock Gears Installed

apriliaforum expert
    alot of people like airsal sport with no head. the price is right and it is timed a hair lower like stock but is sounds ok.

--
    the springs will be a huge mistake. clutch springs will overheat in slow traffic and the contra spring is perfect for the setup. there are no springs for the stock clutch for good reason.

--
    the sliders are better period. again just mix and match from two sets 1 gram apart. GET THE VARIATOR HOLDER TOOL.

---

apriliaforum expert
    i have to double post or the gremlins get it.

i think the airsal sport should be the best choice of all. its timed for the 8000rpm peak hp aswell from the factory and its aluminum....

--
    need 72-80 mainjets and and a 34-36-38 idle jets. if it uses more than an 82 something is wrong like airbox parts are missing and the carb needle will no longer be accurate. probly run ok for one month if you mess with the airbox.

if you want to go open filter it will be louder than the exhaust. you can cut the snorkel in half but it will need a custom tune. the other round hole in the airbox beside the foam cant be touched period.

apriliaforum newb
    A huge thank you to both of you, that's simplified things for me and now I have a bit a plan of attack.

2strokes, thanks for the heads up on the S.A.S (Secondary Air System), I could not figure out what people were talking about but I get it now, and can see how this is a non issue for the after market exhaust, just need to plug it up somehow.

Also, sound advice on the VL13, I will get that one to save the hassle of machining.

Will try tune with the round rollers then move onto Dr Pulleys and give them a go once I have settled on the correct vario weights.

Sublunacy, thanks for the info, wish I could get a pod filter but just can't get away with the noise, would love to see what you could do fully opened up but plan to keep that stock except maybe a Malossi filter for the stock air box when it needs replacing.

Will get the main and idle jets you suggested for sure.

On the clutch, I get what your saying about the stock setup being ideal, I just assumed to get the best out of it you would need to tune that also.

FYI, Mallosi do make a spring kit for the standard clutch, part number 29 7454, stage6 also make a set of 3 for the stock clutch too.

Found this great site comparing a few of the exhausts available that also provides peak rpm info - https://www.tuningmatters.com/review...-exhaust-test/

The Yasuni Z peaks at 8223rpm which I guess is close enough to the 8000rpm limit suggested.

Will see how it go's with the 70cc kit, jets, exhaust and rollers then go from there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast