Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best initial track day moods

apriliaforum newb crotchrocket.tv's Avatar

Best initial track day moods

So in prepping my '16 RSV4 for a track day, I assume that case savers and frame sliders are a good place to start, but what brands have y'all had be best luck with?
    thanks for the help👍.

I dunno. They all do the same job to some degree, some better than others. But really, track speeds are often high so unless you go down at 20 mph frame and case covers limit damage but your still fixing parts. A 40 mph low side usually puts the bike in the kitty litter so the gravel and dirt scratch the hell outta everything.
    That said I'd put on some front and rear axle sliders. Woodcraft or similar. Woodcraft makes a burly slider spool that can help save a swingarm.

Your best bet IMO, some Pirelli slicks and a set of tire warmers and watch the PSI like a hawk. Get some coaching if you don't know the race lines at your track as a large portion of crashes are caused from running a bad line. No need for protection if you don't F@(K up.
    '14 Tuono, matte black, Akrapovic full Ti system, Race ECU, Ohlin's rear shock, Lightech Ltd "R" rearsets, Carbon fender, hugger & side panels, Lightech mirrors, Luimoto seat covers, Brembo RCS 17 with folding levers, black Rizoma bars, 520 chain +2 on the rear, MRA sport screen

I would said.....

Relax and have fun.

RSV4 R 13 Street & Track
    RSV4 RR 16 Track ( under construction )

Thanks for the input. I have experience racing, just not this bike. Some clubs require case protection and the ones I have on my EBR 1190RS have done thier job. Hoping to get feedback from guys who have been down as to which ones are the most effective on the RSV4.
    Oh and sorry about the typo in the title. I'm always in a good mood at trackdays.
    Thanks again.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hey guys I'm pretty new to the group here and to Aprilia rsv4's myself and like crotchrocket have track experience with different makes of bikes, but was curious myself about what people though in this same area of bike prep for the track. I think these are very reasonable questions to ask or have answered by anyone that knows, or maybe more familiar with the set-up of these particular bikes. But yeah I was really kind of curious myself about what was recommended by group members actually running these bikes on the track for items such as the engine case guards, a good set of fiberglass track fairing, sliders etc.

Thanks

Track fairings will save that stock bodywork.

Suspension mods are probably THE most benefit you will ever realize.

Safety mods such as safety wiring the oil drain plug and filter, case sliders, etc, will go a long way to ensure you are not "That guy" that oiled the track down and will help ensure the bike is ridable in case of a small mishap.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

GB Racing case covers fit great and look good. I bought Woodcraft (erector set) rearsets because that's was all that was available that wasn't total junk or expensive. They have been fine. I didn't bother with frame sliders. I broke a frame once due to frame breakers, so I don't use them anymore. If you want GP shift, a Dynojet switch will work (2 wire). Stock brakes are fine, I run ABS on 1 (even racing) but burn up the stock pads before you switch to your favorite brand. They work pretty good. I like the stock clipon's too.

Suspension: If you want more adjustment call James Morse (Cyclemall, you know him) He knows what is in my bike. He can improve the stock Ohlins to where I doubt you will want anything else. It won't cost a fortune either.

Exhaust: I bought a full system. If you have the cash, fine. It's lighter and you get a little more power, but if I had to do another bike I would remove the butterfly and do a slipon. The stock exhaust is damn good. Steve Rapp was running stock headers at Willow. Didn't slow him down :-)

Bodywork: If you want to keep the stock seat get some Catalyst. If you want a race seat, I just got these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Racing-Fairi...item43ff4c8884
    They are a little heavy, but the quality looks like OEM. The set on my bike now is BikesPlast. They are OK, but I had air bubbles in the layup and chunks have fallen out of them. I won't be buying another set and the seat/tail is a giant bitch to get on and off.

Thanks so much for the info. I will call James if I can find his number. I'm sure i can get it. I put a Woodcraft GP shift on the strock rearsets for now while I get used to the bike on the street. Quick shift works fine. I'll probably go with Woodcraft rearsets eventually and case savers as well.
    Again, thanks a million for the info!

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by P51Jockey View Post
    The set on my bike now is BikesPlast. They are OK, but I had air bubbles in the layup and chunks have fallen out of them. I won't be buying another set and the seat/tail is a giant bitch to get on and off.
    Totally agree, the tail section is so hard to get on without damaging the subframe or tank. But not as bad as a CRC tail that I have that does not fit AT ALL. Does anyone have good recommendations for a brand that fits easily and uses a foam set pad?

I have R&G case savers on my Tuono that are meant for the '16 RSV4, so there is a hole where the dipstick is that I plugged up and I had to cut the hole for the oil sight glass.
    But they look good and as far as I have researched, they work nicely to save the cases.

And got them from here:
    http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...dproduct=78191

I just pulled the R&G decals of the savers, makes them "dissappear" on the motor.
    In no way affiliated to that helmet company by the same name....

Current - 2013 Tuono V4 APRC

Safety wire is a worthy investment and required by most organizations at one level or another - especially once you start getting faster and move up the food chain...

Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    Track fairings will save that stock bodywork.

Suspension mods are probably THE most benefit you will ever realize.

Safety mods such as safety wiring the oil drain plug and filter, case sliders, etc, will go a long way to ensure you are not "That guy" that oiled the track down and will help ensure the bike is ridable in case of a small mishap.
    Man I would hate to be "that guy"
    03 Racing 077
    03 Tuono For GO
    02 Mille R- track bike
    05 FJR1300 The Land Yacht

^
    Been there, done that. Yeah, it sucks.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    ^
    Been there, done that. Yeah, it sucks.
    Yea, I was picking on you
    03 Racing 077
    03 Tuono For GO
    02 Mille R- track bike
    05 FJR1300 The Land Yacht

^

Dick

That was not preventable. The damn oil filter o-ring failed.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast