Thread: New Race Bike

apriliaforum newb

New Race Bike

Hey all,
    New to the board, and may not be posting in the right section, but i see club racing and thats where i gravitate. I have just taken delivery of my new (to me) 2010 RSV factory. It has a 2012 motor and updated APRC, oversized radiator, ohlins carts ect as well as various other sexy bits. Bike was a former AMA back up bike, so lots of goodies. Purchased the bike from EDR performance sight unseen, and overall, could not be happier with the service those guys provide. Absolutely 1st class all around. Coming off a 600cc inline superbike, I have never ridden an RSV, let alone raced one. Not really sure what I should be expecting, other then the obvious. I am very unsure about the Maps that are preloaded on the race ECU, and the general operation of the launch control/tc settings. Considering adding the 5 button "Nintendo" control to make things easier to navigate. But am unsure what the installation would entail. Would love to pick the brain of you guys on the board that are obviously very experienced with these bikes and their nuances

All in all. Happy to be here and look forward to being part of this community

Keith C
    CCS Northeast Expert #221

apriliaforum expert
    I'm a long time racer but have been easing my way into roadracing retirement...started in '94.

After getting a '16 Tuono RR last year, i wanted to put an RSV4 on the track and found a very well setup '13 RSV4 from a guy on my race org forum.

I took the RSV4 to Jennings twice last month for the lst time. Initial thoughts is, it is heavy. Even with Aprilia forged wheels, Racefit TI exhaust, Ballistic battery, etc...
    My 07 GSXR 1000 race bike felt a lot closer in comparison to my '12 GSXR 600 and '13 GSXR 750 than it did the RSV. But once in the corner, it is rock solid (Ohlins TTX, Ohlins 30 mil forks)

Also, the ABS brakes with the OEM M/C is not what i like to feel in a brake system. Very weak compared to an Accossato/Brembo M/C with direct lines to calipers.

I felt much better, faster each time on the bike. Getting used to the brakes is it's weak link or mine or both.

I have the 'nintendo' controls on my bike. It is easier to navigate. It's a plug 'n play application. TC on 3. Wheelie/Launch is 1 or off, ABS on 1 or off.
    Current rigs:

'16 Tuono RR -street
    '13 RSV4 -race
    '13 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special
    '13 Yamaha WR450F
    '12 GSXR 600 - race
    '07 GSXR 750 - race
    '03 KDX 200
    '17 Tao Tao Hellcat - pit bike

Hi Keith, thanks for the kind words, my staff and i do try very hard! Love seeing folks happy!

As for your questions my input..
    1. i would defiently map the bike with a piggyback, i will be flamed on here but hey, you asked and this is what i do to ours and they run AWESOME! MUCH smoother than the preloaded maps. Simpliest is a PC5 but i really prefer the Rapidbike as it does both injectors as well as ignition timing. Since you got bike from us and if you got the Rapidbike from us, i would be able to preload the Rapidbike with excellent fuel and ignition maps to work with that bike/ecu you have! this would be 95% perfect (every bike varies slightly of course) it really helps smooth out the power

2. i would update the airbox to the 2016+ one, again AF1 sells a kit and you can do yourself, fairly easy if you take time. I would do this BEFORE you do any mapping, it isn't the same as the 2009-2014 set up. Again, i have excellent Rapidbike maps i can preload for you for a 1st gen with the 2nd gen airbox even (we have done a ton of RSV4's)

3. The nintendo buttons are great i love mine, some dont. Just get a good set of plug and play ones from AF1 and you can do yourself in mins.

ENJOY the bike!! Run GOOD oil, let it FULLY WARM UP **remember you have a Febur oversized radiator it will take longer to warm up, and have a blast!!

*also if you want, shot me an email with your tires (dunlop or pirelli) youre going to run, ill shot you over some set up sheets to help you get chassis close out the gate.

Cheers
    Eric Dorn
    Head Squid www.edrperformance.com
    2016 Aprilia RSV4-RF
    2014 Aprilia RSV4-R
    2008 SXV550
    2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s
    1999 Zuma 70cc bad boy

apriliaforum expert MamboItaliono's Avatar
    Awesome purchase, but an RSV is a V-twin, you have an RSV4, with the V4 motor

apriliaforum newb
    I've recently jumped to an RSV4 as well. I've run an '06 GSXR 750 the past 3 seasons with success. Shortly after acquiring the RSV4 I did a trackday on it to see what I was up against. This is a 2010 w/ race ecu and Bazzaz for TC and QS. It had a lighter battery already but nothing drastic as far as weight reduction at that point. The weight wasn't an issue, holding on was. The front wheel spends very little time directly connected to the track. Even running down the NJMP straight the front was skipping. Not the most confidence inspiring but I'll learn to work with it. Over the winter I've succumb to the theory that the bike is too heavy. Not that I feel it really is that heavy, but because I like to tinker and knowing there is weight to be shed gave me motivation enough. Went with a 520 setup (placed axle as far back as possible to help with the wheelies), removed the SAS, sections of the subframe, portions of wire harness, etc. Overall I've probably removed 7+ lbs. Not worth the effort in hindsight, but it kept my hands occupied thru the cold months. April 8th I'll get to shake it down.
    CCS #914 ex

I have an 06 GSXR 750 and 07 GSXR 1000. I tried an RSV4 last year and simply could not ride it. The ergonomics do not like me much.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Edr View Post
    Hi Keith, thanks for the kind words, my staff and i do try very hard! Love seeing folks happy!

As for your questions my input..
    1. i would defiently map the bike with a piggyback, i will be flamed on here but hey, you asked and this is what i do to ours and they run AWESOME! MUCH smoother than the preloaded maps. Simpliest is a PC5 but i really prefer the Rapidbike as it does both injectors as well as ignition timing. Since you got bike from us and if you got the Rapidbike from us, i would be able to preload the Rapidbike with excellent fuel and ignition maps to work with that bike/ecu you have! this would be 95% perfect (every bike varies slightly of course) it really helps smooth out the power

2. i would update the airbox to the 2016+ one, again AF1 sells a kit and you can do yourself, fairly easy if you take time. I would do this BEFORE you do any mapping, it isn't the same as the 2009-2014 set up. Again, i have excellent Rapidbike maps i can preload for you for a 1st gen with the 2nd gen airbox even (we have done a ton of RSV4's)

3. The nintendo buttons are great i love mine, some dont. Just get a good set of plug and play ones from AF1 and you can do yourself in mins.

ENJOY the bike!! Run GOOD oil, let it FULLY WARM UP **remember you have a Febur oversized radiator it will take longer to warm up, and have a blast!!

*also if you want, shot me an email with your tires (dunlop or pirelli) youre going to run, ill shot you over some set up sheets to help you get chassis close out the gate.

Cheers
    Eric Dorn

Eric, thanks so much for the words of advise, very much appreciated, and needed. I'll be reaching out this afternoon to inquire about the piggyback, and I'll look into the airbox mod. I'll shoot you an email. Thanks again. Could not recommend you guys more.