Thread: Any experience with a Dr. Pulley HiT Clutch on an SR or similar?

apriliaforum newb

Any experience with a Dr. Pulley HiT Clutch on an SR or similar?

I'm riding a 2014 SR50 "Factory" Ditech. Derestricted of course. Malossi Multivar 2000 variator, Malossi Fly clutch, recently installed Malossi 70cc BB kit with the new ECU and the recommended new primary gears, Arrow "Extreme" carbon exhaust. I just switched up to 7g rollers and I haven't had a chance to see what my top speed really is, but it feels good. I live in town and don't always get a chance to really open it up. I've got red springs in the Fly clutch at the moment and I want a bit more punch on my takeoff. So, I'm looking at my options and the DR. Pulley HiT Clutch keeps coming up. It's a little pricey, but it sounds like it might be what I want. One guy I know tells me that I'll get that fast takeoff, but at the expense of a lot of my top speed. he's a Ruck rider though, so I don't take him all that seriously, heheh.

So, long story short, has anyone used a DR Pulley clutch on a similar bike and have any insight on it?
    2014 Aprilia SR50 Factory R C361M "Purejet"

Malossi Fly clutch, black Malossi springs
    Malossi Multivar 2000, 4.0g Dr. Pulley slider weights.
    Malossi 70cc Big Bore Kit
    Malossi MHR Primary Gears 15/38
    Malossi RS3 rear shock
    Malossi "red sponge" filter
    Arrow Extreme Carbon exhaust
    Opticparts Df stainless floor plates
    Malossi Signature grips

apriliaforum expert
    if you dont know the engagement rpm then magic mushrooms are a better purchase.

--

your fly clutch engages at the bump of torque at 5000rpm. a 6000rpm will be slower. as would a 4000rpm clutch. i have been saying this for a long time - i cant understand scooter tuners lack of reality.
    --- diploma for engine repair in 2012 ---

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

previous vehicles - subaru legacy turbo 1991 - mazda mx6 turbo 1990.

apriliaforum expert
    look at the dynos available. look at the torque band at 5000rpm and tell me how a clutch is not the simplest thing to tune but nobody can do it for themselves it seems. im positive everyone just gets lucky.....also known as money......

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Radixx View Post
    I'm riding a 2014 SR50 "Factory" Ditech. Derestricted of course. Malossi Multivar 2000 variator, Malossi Fly clutch, recently installed Malossi 70cc BB kit with the new ECU and the recommended new primary gears, Arrow "Extreme" carbon exhaust. I just switched up to 7g rollers and I haven't had a chance to see what my top speed really is, but it feels good. I live in town and don't always get a chance to really open it up. I've got red springs in the Fly clutch at the moment and I want a bit more punch on my takeoff. So, I'm looking at my options and the DR. Pulley HiT Clutch keeps coming up. It's a little pricey, but it sounds like it might be what I want. One guy I know tells me that I'll get that fast takeoff, but at the expense of a lot of my top speed. he's a Ruck rider though, so I don't take him all that seriously, heheh.

So, long story short, has anyone used a DR Pulley clutch on a similar bike and have any insight on it?
    im not complaining to you im complaining about every person that came before us and shit the bed with scooter forums.

apriliaforum newb
    I'm terribly sorry that I'm not an expert in here. I've been having a great time learning about tuning my scooter and some people in this forum have been really helpful. If I knew everything about this stuff, I wouldn't need to post a question in here. I was really just asking for a product review if anyone had an opinion, but it seems I've annoyed someone by doing so.
    2014 Aprilia SR50 Factory R C361M "Purejet"

Malossi Fly clutch, black Malossi springs
    Malossi Multivar 2000, 4.0g Dr. Pulley slider weights.
    Malossi 70cc Big Bore Kit
    Malossi MHR Primary Gears 15/38
    Malossi RS3 rear shock
    Malossi "red sponge" filter
    Arrow Extreme Carbon exhaust
    Opticparts Df stainless floor plates
    Malossi Signature grips

apriliaforum Member 2Strokesforlife's Avatar
    We're in the wrong sub-forum. A DiTech, even at 70cc, simply can't make the power to take full advantage of the HiT clutch. The concept of it is great. Different adjusments and the ability to lock into place to prevent slipping. It's expensive. It's grabby. It shudders.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...+pulley+clutch

The Fly is the same as a stock clutch but with better shoes. It has an adjustable engagement made possible by changing the springs. Most owners of DiTechs that have gone to 70cc use the Malossi Delta because of the range of adjustability and the great quality. I know a couple people with the Stage6 Torque Control MKII and it is great on their DiTech. I have it installed on my bike but because of the weather, I haven't had a chance to dial it in. It has an enormous range of adjustabilty, by changing out the springs, adding weights, and there is adjustable pre-load on the springs that are installed. Coupled with the clutch bell I have in my signature, you don't have to keep taking your clutch assembly apart to change springs or adjust spring tension. It can be done while it's still on the bike and the combo costs less than the HiT. No clutch will ever make you lose top speed. The setup and quality of the clutch only determines at what RPM it engages at. 2 Strokes of any kind have a narrow power band. Too low of an engagement and it'll take a few seconds to get up to power, too high and it's gonna be a pain to ride in the city. Sublunacy is right, there are dyno results out there of DiTech Piaggios with the same mods as yours and those will tell you exactly where your bike makes the best power. Also, yes, the torque curve is really important. Torque is basically what you are using in stop and go traffic. The horsepower it makes is when you get on those straights and open it up. You want your transmission setup so you stay in the 8,200-8,400 RPM range at WOT and your clutch setup so it engages at about 4,500-5,500 RPM. Give or take depending on how you want it.

I took my Malossi Primary gears out and put the stock back in. The difference in acceleration is night and day plus I just don't need to go 70 MPH.

Also, if you haven't already, get your stock ECU de-restricted. It makes a big difference.
    Last edited by 2Strokesforlife; 01-31-2017 at 07:34 PM.
    2009 SR 50 Factory
    Malossi 70cc BBK
    Malossi HPC Crankshaft
    Stage6 Waterpump Impeller
    Arrow Extreme Pipe
    Malossi VL 13
    Ecu De-restricted 2.8.0
    6 Gram Dr. Pulley Sliders
    Water Trap
    RS 24/10
    Stage6 260mm Front Brake
    Stage6 Torque Control MKII 107mm
    Stage6 R/T Clutch Bell 460g
    Malossi Special Belt
    Malossi E5 Air Filter
    Stock Gears Installed

apriliaforum Member
    I'm also wondering about how the HiT clutch performs, no matter what i can't get my stage 6 112mm to engage at a high enough RPM (9000ish).
    Black Sr50r 2014

Current mods

Stage 6 RT 70
    Stage 6 RT crank
    Flowed engine case
    Stage 6 R 1400 with RT end can
    Stage 6 water pump
    Doppler inner rotor ignition
    Stage 6 R/T shock absorber
    stage 6 v force 3 reed block
    Stage 6 black f1 mirrors
    Stage 6 112mm clutch with Malossi MHR black springs (Much better than the stage 6 springs )
    Stage 6 oversize variator 5.0g rollers
    Stage 6 oversize rear pulley
    Stage 6 oversize belt
    Stage 6 medium torque spring
    Ngk b-e 10.5 spark plug
    BGM boost bottle
    Stage 6 metal inlet manifold
    Stage 6 28mm RT flatside PWK- 122 main jet second clip down
    No airfilter (won't run with one )
    stage 6 1:2.53 gear up kit
    Top speed- fast......

Next mods

Mvt Premium inner rotor ignition

apriliaforum expert
    dont waste your money snipez.

use a flat file and a small scale. remove 1/4 inch length wise off each of the clutch arms for higher rpm and harder bite/grab.

or drill holes in the arms for higher rpm and a softer bite/grab

I just got of the phone today with a place that specializes in ATV racing. They sell Stage6 Torque Control MKII clutches and clutch springs. White=1,000 RPM, Orange=1,500 RPM, Red=2,000 RPM (Clutch speed, not engine speed) I didn't notice much of a difference between the white and orange that came with the clutch, so I ordered red. They're also sending me purple (3,000 RPM). I didn't ask for a part number but I'll post it when I get them on Monday and let you know if they give the high stall you are looking for. I'm guessing you have red springs with the preload cranked.

(I would've replied with a quote for you (TheSnipez), but my computer won't let me put spaces between the words when I do it and don't feel like using my phone. Lol!)
    2009 SR 50 Factory
    Malossi 70cc BBK
    Malossi HPC Crankshaft
    Arrow Extreme Pipe
    Malossi VL 13
    Ecu De-restricted 2.8.0
    Water Trap
    RS 24/10
    Stage6 260mm Front Brake
    Malossi Special Belt
    Malossi E5 Air Filter
    Stock Gears Installed

Hmmm. I'll get this one figured out eventually... I started a new thread in the DiTech section...

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...etup-Questions
    2009 SR 50 Factory
    Malossi 70cc BBK
    Malossi HPC Crankshaft
    Arrow Extreme Pipe
    Malossi VL 13
    Ecu De-restricted 2.8.0
    Water Trap
    RS 24/10
    Stage6 260mm Front Brake
    Malossi Special Belt
    Malossi E5 Air Filter
    Stock Gears Installed

apriliaforum Member
    I've never heard of the purple springs but yes i was using the red springs on max preload and i still wasn't getting enough rpm. I've sorted it now though by buying a set of malossi MHR springs and using the strongest one they have! Even with like 2 notches of pre load left it sets off much better even with my new gear up kit.
    Black Sr50r 2014

Current mods

Stage 6 RT 70
    Stage 6 RT crank
    Flowed engine case
    Stage 6 R 1400 with RT end can
    Stage 6 water pump
    Doppler inner rotor ignition
    Stage 6 R/T shock absorber
    stage 6 v force 3 reed block
    Stage 6 black f1 mirrors
    Stage 6 112mm clutch with Malossi MHR black springs (Much better than the stage 6 springs )
    Stage 6 oversize variator 5.0g rollers
    Stage 6 oversize rear pulley
    Stage 6 oversize belt
    Stage 6 medium torque spring
    Ngk b-e 10.5 spark plug
    BGM boost bottle
    Stage 6 metal inlet manifold
    Stage 6 28mm RT flatside PWK- 122 main jet second clip down
    No airfilter (won't run with one )
    stage 6 1:2.53 gear up kit
    Top speed- fast......

Next mods