Thread: Injector Cleaning

Injector Cleaning

So i am in the process of removing the engine for a good clean, oil leak repair and some preventative maintenance (2001. over 35,000 miles). After seeing the cost of an AF1 fuel injector cleaning service, i think im interested. However, what are the chances of needing a throttle body rebuild kit when it comes time to put the injectors back in (looks like a seal and o-rings are the relevant parts from the kit for the injectors)? at a cost of over $300, my low budget overhaul is not very low budget if i need the kit.

Thoughts? Go for the cleaning or just leave as is?
    Last edited by splyn; 01-23-2017 at 01:20 PM.
    - splyn

"The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders."

I believe in the noble, aristocratic art of doing absolutely nothing. And I hope someday I will be in a position when I can do even less.

I have taken the tbs apart many times. I have reused all the washers and seals with no problems other than the 11mm o ring on the fpr.I have put this down to it being an aftermarket item on my falco. If any part fails just replace it at a fraction of the cost of a full kit . Even the aluminium fuel hose washers have been reused on my bike .

Thanx. That puts me at ease.
    - splyn

I believe in the noble, aristocratic art of doing absolutely nothing. And I hope someday I will be in a position when I can do even less.

You can even re-anneal the old crush washers using your stove's burners. Google/Youtube it.

Is it tricky to clean the injectors ? I have some problems with the engine running on only one cylinder when cold and if the new plugs ordered doesn't solve this I guess that might be something to consider

I am not a mechanic, but I try my very best..

It doesn't get any easier than pouring some injector cleaner in the tank for two or three tanks full.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

Ok, and that works ? I've read some reports stating that the cleaners you put in the tank are mostly to comfort the rider that all is fine and does little to nothing for the actual injectors ?

I mean, for a amateur mechanic as me, pouring a bottle into the tank is not that tricky.. removing the injectors and manually clean them on the other hand, might be ?

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenephilim View Post
    Ok, and that works ? I've read some reports stating that the cleaners you put in the tank are mostly to comfort the rider that all is fine and does little to nothing for the actual injectors ?

I mean, for a amateur mechanic as me, pouring a bottle into the tank is not that tricky.. removing the injectors and manually clean them on the other hand, might be ?
    True, many of these products are likely ineffective, but I've found Techron (and other PEA based products) to be exceptional. I've serviced numerous Mercedes over the years with dirty fuel level sensors (erratic fuel gauges, sometimes check engine lights) and the Techron cleans them right up. If dirty injectors are the cause of a slightly irregular idle quality, it helps there, too. Something to keep in mind, these products work best with a long exposure time.

I can also recommend Redline SI-1, along with the Liqui-Moly brand (Ventil Sauber and Jectron).

I don't know what products are available over there but on a number of occasions when my bike has sat for months it has some sticking of the injectors at low rpms. A few tanks of gas with Techron has always fixed it up.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

i am reassembling my throttle bodies and when i put the base of the injector (where fuel exits) into the throttle body, the seal does not make a good seal. In fact, it seems the outer diameter of the seal is too small and is very loose in the throttle body. When i completely assemble the throttle body, i can "wiggle" the injector at its base. I got the injectors cleaned, so maybe they put the wrong seals on?

I took some measurements the best i can (i had a hard time getting the caliper properly positioned to measure the seat on the TB)
    Seal OD: 15.04mm
    TB seal seat: 15.78mm
    Last edited by splyn; 12-30-2017 at 02:38 PM.
    - splyn

well, even though i got my injectors back from AF1 almost a year ago, they are going to send me new seals that should fit. The email exchange was amazingly fast. Responses were in my inbox literally minutes after i sent an email. once again i am not only impressed, but STUNNED by the customer service provided by AF1!!!! If only i lived in Texas, id be brining some home-brew for the folks there.
    - splyn

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    I picked out the new seals...its weird that you got 15mm OD as I have exactly 0 15mm OD in the injector cleaning box of parts that will fit onto your injector ends....16mm parts should arrive shortly, not even sure how it could have happened. The 15mm would have worked as they seal on the compression face not the sides but I totally get why you would want the technically correct parts.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin