Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 100

Thread: my tuono v4 horror story. i need advice.

  1. #61
    apriliaforum newb
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    23
    Anyone know how easily i could get an Aprilia rep or someone who could inspect and "make a report" on it? To this date warantee company refuses to send someone to look at it first hand.
    2012 Tuono v4 aprc 12k miles blown engine just happened Dec.
    2000 zx9r. 55k miles currently a tip to tail check and overhaul

  2. #62
    apriliaforum expert DaveNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Posts
    11,446
    Quote Originally Posted by the sofa king View Post
    Anyone know how easily i could get an Aprilia rep or someone who could inspect and "make a report" on it? To this date warantee company refuses to send someone to look at it first hand.
    I can't believe how unlucky you have been with this bike, I've had around 15 or more bikes, I've had my lemon (new 2004 factory) I've had at least 10 bikes I've travelled in excess of 45,000Ks on, and my multistrada has travelled 70,000Ks and has yet to have any shims replaced, so why would this engine implode, i know of 2 2012 tuono V4 engines go pop in NZ, both low Ks, one was fixed under warranty, and theres been a few on here go pop, so there is a history of this engine letting go, (low numbers) i think your unlucky and got one of those engines that has a short life exspectancy, good luck getting it sorted, fuking insurance company insured it, cough up pricks.
    It used to be "Rock around the clock" now its "limp around the block".................................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a Bran spanking new 1290 GT. Torque monster.

  3. #63
    apriliaforum expert bidwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    678
    Slightly off topic but I NEVER get extended warranties exactly for this reason. They can always invent a reason for not paying and other than hiring a lawyer there's not much you can do.....

  4. #64
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by bidwell View Post
    Slightly off topic but I NEVER get extended warranties exactly for this reason. They can always invent a reason for not paying and other than hiring a lawyer there's not much you can do.....
    +1. I don't even get extended warranties for a toaster for $.05. Nothing. Scam 99% of the time.
    A friend bought a used 2013 Dodge Charger from a Ford dealer. She bought a warranty. Nothing but a nightmare with the warranty/dealer for the radio/climate controls software issues that this car has.
    Current rigs:

    '16 Tuono RR -street
    '13 RSV4 -race
    '13 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special
    '13 Yamaha WR450F
    '12 GSXR 600 - race
    '07 GSXR 750 - race
    '03 KDX 200
    '17 Tao Tao Hellcat - pit bike

  5. #65
    apriliaforum Member windyrun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    226
    A friend of mine bought a used volvo xc90 and purchased the extended warranty from volvo (but administered by a company in atlanta i think).

    He has saved many thousands of dollars with the extended warranty for replacement of failed engine and ecu components. dealer did work under the extended warranty and all for $100 per claim.

    Not all warranties, nor dealers, are created equal (like all else).
    Current bike: Street Triple 765 RS

  6. #66
    apriliaforum newb
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    23
    It's been a while, with a slew of phone calls and sending faxes? who uses those anymore. Alas there is still a glimmer of hope because they have now reopened my claim. Hmm I should still get back to rebuilding my poor baby zx9.
    2012 Tuono v4 aprc 12k miles blown engine just happened Dec.
    2000 zx9r. 55k miles currently a tip to tail check and overhaul

  7. #67
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    canuckistan
    Posts
    656
    When my '12 blows, im getting a 1100 engine..

    Did get a valve adjustement done with new cams at the dealer 7000 km ago.. still running ok.

    Ive had the normal problems on early v4 happen to me.

    Grinded cams and a toasted stator.

    Bur one thing i never experienced is hot start issues...stock oem battery and no charcoal canister.. and exhaust flap mod .

    I wonder why i never had those hot start issues though...what creates it ?
    Last edited by fr0st; 04-03-2017 at 02:34 AM.

  8. #68
    apriliaforum expert MishMashRSV4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Glendora, CA
    Posts
    3,618
    Quote Originally Posted by fr0st View Post
    When my '12 blows, im getting a 1100 engine..

    Did get a valve adjustement done with new cams at the dealer 7000 km ago.. still running ok.

    Ive had the normal problems on early v4 happen to me.

    Grinded cams and a toasted stator.

    Bur one thing i never experienced is hot start issues...stock oem battery and no charcoal canister.. and exhaust flap mod .

    I wonder why i never had those hot start issues though...what creates it ?
    Mine and Yours must've been built from the same parts lol. Ive had the same issues, and not issues.

  9. #69
    apriliaforum newb
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    23
    So, warrantee company sends inspector. They deny it again, saying that it's because it was ran after there was a problem. Mind you I haven't seen the official inspectors report yet, but it does make me burn up inside because the dealership's manager explained to me that when i turned it in to them after believing my engine just blew, that they were able to start and run it but now it's seized. It ticked me off then, that they'd even try to run it with the info i have them at the time. So it wasn't seized when i brought it in, but now it is? Now after all this fighting to get anyone to work with me, that could have been the nail in the coffin for my claim to be taken care of. I felt deep inside that the dealer screwed up the valve job leading to this, decided that I couldn't prove they did anything wrong but that I'd have a much easier case proving I did all the maintenence required, than proving the dealer messed it up. So it is still in the attorney's hands, the wife tells me to relax and let then do their thing but this is ultimately infuriating me. ..once again. Any suggestions? At this point, i may never ride that monster again and it could be the funnest, saddest, thrilling, and most aggravating way to waste almost $10k in less than a year.
    2012 Tuono v4 aprc 12k miles blown engine just happened Dec.
    2000 zx9r. 55k miles currently a tip to tail check and overhaul

  10. #70
    apriliaforum expert MamboItaliono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Posts
    4,210
    Yikes man

  11. #71
    apriliaforum Junkie
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    fayetteville NC
    Posts
    262
    well I feel your pain , I ate a Valve yesterday! less than 6k miles 2012 T

  12. #72
    apriliaforum expert DaveNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Posts
    11,446
    Quote Originally Posted by the sofa king View Post
    So, warrantee company sends inspector. They deny it again, saying that it's because it was ran after there was a problem. Mind you I haven't seen the official inspectors report yet, but it does make me burn up inside because the dealership's manager explained to me that when i turned it in to them after believing my engine just blew, that they were able to start and run it but now it's seized. It ticked me off then, that they'd even try to run it with the info i have them at the time. So it wasn't seized when i brought it in, but now it is? Now after all this fighting to get anyone to work with me, that could have been the nail in the coffin for my claim to be taken care of. I felt deep inside that the dealer screwed up the valve job leading to this, decided that I couldn't prove they did anything wrong but that I'd have a much easier case proving I did all the maintenence required, than proving the dealer messed it up. So it is still in the attorney's hands, the wife tells me to relax and let then do their thing but this is ultimately infuriating me. ..once again. Any suggestions? At this point, i may never ride that monster again and it could be the funnest, saddest, thrilling, and most aggravating way to waste almost $10k in less than a year.
    Man I'm gutted for you Sofa-king, theres a known weakness with these 2012-2014 engines, there gear boxes are weak, and the cams and valves give trouble, i wonder what the percentage of these engines make it pass 50,000Ks without major engine work, i got rid of mine at 18,000Ks, and that engine was noisy, the bike shop nearly didn't want to trade it. guess i traded it at the right time, but took a massive depreciation.
    It used to be "Rock around the clock" now its "limp around the block".................................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a Bran spanking new 1290 GT. Torque monster.

  13. #73
    apriliaforum expert mikef4uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Chester UK
    Posts
    5,188
    Quote Originally Posted by bidwell View Post
    Slightly off topic but I NEVER get extended warranties exactly for this reason. They can always invent a reason for not paying and other than hiring a lawyer there's not much you can do.....
    I read in the small print whilst trying to extend the warranty on my R8........''We will only pay for the 'instant' failure, and will not pay for secondary consequences''...........................so I rang them and asked

    '' If my car was to break a connecting rod which then came through the side of the engine would you just pay for the 100 con rod or the 28,000 engine''

    Lots of loop holes out there with extended warranty's

    Latest con is ''Protected No Claims discount'' which YOU WILL (effectively) LOSE even if you have a non fault accident, they get around that one like this, with the 'have you had an accident within the last 5 years?' this means they will increase your starting premium because you have had one accident your more likely to have another, so they bump the start premium up then deduct your no claims bounus.....................effectively taking your NCB away..............................bunch of conning twats eh?
    Last edited by mikef4uk; 05-17-2017 at 04:30 AM.

  14. #74
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by mikef4uk View Post
    ....Latest con is ''Protected No Claims discount'' which YOU WILL (effectively) LOSE even if you have a non fault accident, they get around that one like this, with the 'have you had an accident within the last 5 years?' this means they will increase your starting premium because you have had one accident your more likely to have another, so they bump the start premium up then deduct your no claims bounus.....................effectively taking your NCB away..............................bunch of conning twats eh?....
    Never thought of it like that Mike, but yes, you're absolutely right. Although, if you chose NOT to protect your no claims in the above scenario, you would have bumped premium for one accident, with zero NCB so would be screwed even more??

  15. #75
    apriliaforum prov-nov
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by the sofa king View Post
    So, warrantee company sends inspector. They deny it again, saying that it's because it was ran after there was a problem. Mind you I haven't seen the official inspectors report yet, but it does make me burn up inside because the dealership's manager explained to me that when i turned it in to them after believing my engine just blew, that they were able to start and run it but now it's seized. It ticked me off then, that they'd even try to run it with the info i have them at the time. So it wasn't seized when i brought it in, but now it is? Now after all this fighting to get anyone to work with me, that could have been the nail in the coffin for my claim to be taken care of. I felt deep inside that the dealer screwed up the valve job leading to this, decided that I couldn't prove they did anything wrong but that I'd have a much easier case proving I did all the maintenence required, than proving the dealer messed it up. So it is still in the attorney's hands, the wife tells me to relax and let then do their thing but this is ultimately infuriating me. ..once again. Any suggestions? At this point, i may never ride that monster again and it could be the funnest, saddest, thrilling, and most aggravating way to waste almost $10k in less than a year.
    Have your attorney file a claim against the dealer for the cost to replace the engine with a like engine with the same or less miles on it. The dealer will then have to file a claim with his garage liability insurance company. After seeing that you had a catastrophic failure 60 miles after the dealer worked on it, then immediately brought it back to the dealer who caused further damage renedering the engine irreparable they will settle with you and you will be made whole again.

    Trust me I know how it works. The dealer should have stepped up and assumed liability for this incident months ago. If it's the same dealer you bought the bike and the warranty from than you could also go after him for fitness of merchantability of the products he sold you but I would focus on the valve adjustment and the events that occurred afterwards. You have taken reasonable care of the bike on your end.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Yet another huge bill for my Tuono V4
    By Rizla V4 in forum 2012-2017 Tuono V4 - All Variants
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 06-12-2016, 07:51 AM
  2. My Tuono V4 has a flat spot at low revs
    By Koopz in forum 2012-2017 Tuono V4 - All Variants
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-19-2015, 01:29 PM
  3. Just bought a Tuono V4 in Brisbane, Aus, need some advice...
    By Nath88 in forum 2012-2017 Tuono V4 - All Variants
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-05-2015, 10:48 PM
  4. [REPORTAGE] On Track @Misano World Circuit with my Tuono V4 Aprc
    By thebiker in forum 2012-2017 Tuono V4 - All Variants
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-20-2014, 10:19 AM
  5. Where to put the Gopro on my Tuono V4
    By Kalu76 in forum 2012-2017 Tuono V4 - All Variants
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-27-2014, 04:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •