Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: my tuono v4 horror story. i need advice.

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diablo1 View Post
    Now, is it really true that a lot of V4s have blown up within a month of a valve adjustment?
    Since 2011, I've adjusted the valves on 100+ V4 bikes, some of them more than once.
    Many of those bikes are from customers of mine who are active on this forum.

I don't know of a single one that has suffered engine failure shortly after I adj the valves.

Something to keep in mind is how far out of adj were the valves before the adjustment?
    If you have several valves that are very tight, simply adjusting them back to specs is not good enough.

I've had a few bikes in here with valves that had zero or negative clearance, in those cases I told the customer that the heads would have to come off for further investigation.
    Simpy re-shimming them back to specs is asking for trouble shortly there after.

When you take the bike to the shop, you need to request that the mechanic write down the clearances before and after the adjustment.
    A compression test at every valve adj is highly recommended.
    Last edited by amauri; 01-15-2017 at 11:42 AM. Reason: corrections
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    Something to keep in mind is how far out of adj were the valves before the adjustment?
    If you have several valves that are very tight, simply adjusting them back to specs is not good enough.

I've had a few bikes in here with valves that had zero or negative clearance, in those cases I told the customer that the heads would have to come off for further investigation.
    Simpy re-shimming them back to specs is asking for trouble shortly there after.
    To add to this discussion, I assume you recommend the heads have to come off because rapidly decreasing valve clearance indicates there has already been rapid wear of the valve guides and maybe seats and valves. So a valve adjustment doesn't exacerbate the problem, but will allow the mechanic/owner to know there is definitely a problem that needs immediate attention to prevent catastrophic damage like valve/piston collision.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2000.5 Mille R - Ti Shotguns & lots of Evo shtuff
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory

A compression test at every valve adj is highly recommended.
    Before or after adjustment? Or would you do both?

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    depends,

A proper compression test should be done with a hot engine.

I always test ride the bike before I start working on it.
    After the ride, I remove the tank air box and spark plugs to test compression while the engine is still hot.

If the results of the compression test was bad, I use a video bore scope thru the spark plug holes to inspect the valves and combustion chamber.
    Then I let the engine cool down completely for a valve clearance ck.

After those basic test I can usually tell why the compression was bad on one or more cylinders.
    A second compression test is not going to tell me anything I don't already know.

I suppose a second test could be useful for those who want to double ck and make sure they put everything back together correctly.
    If the second test shows readings that are very different from the first, then you probably have the cam timing wrong.
    Last edited by amauri; 01-16-2017 at 12:08 AM. Reason: corrections
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

depends,

After the ride, I remove the tank air box and spark plugs to test compression while the engine is still hot.

If the results of the compression test was bad, I use a video bore scope thru the spark plug holes to inspect the valves and combustion chamber.

After those basic test I can usually tell why the compression was bad on one or more cylinders.
    A second compression test is not going to tell me anything I don't already know.

I suppose a second test could be useful for those who want to double ck and make sure they put everything back together correctly.
    If the second test shows readings that are very different from the first, then you probably have the cam timing wrong.
    Your customers are lucky people. I want mechanic like you too. Good job.

Tapatalkuju

apriliaforum expert
    depends,

Cam timing wrong?....hmmmm. Had the chain off by 1 tooth. Bent exhaust valves. GSXR 1000
    https://postimg.org/image/ib4x2242f/
    Current rigs:

'16 Tuono RR -street
    '13 RSV4 -race
    '13 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special
    '13 Yamaha WR450F
    '12 GSXR 600 - race
    '07 GSXR 750 - race
    '03 KDX 200
    '17 Tao Tao Hellcat - pit bike

Quote Originally Posted by motoracerx View Post
    Cam timing wrong?....hmmmm. Had the chain off by 1 tooth. Bent exhaust valves. GSXR 1000
    https://postimg.org/image/ib4x2242f/
    [url=https://postimg.org/image/ib4x2242f/]

Please correct me if I’m wrong; however, unless something is very different with the GSXR, inlet valves are bigger than exhaust & that pic indicates that the inlets were kissing the pistons?

Oh I know; this was a test right. lol.
    Last edited by plocky; 01-17-2017 at 02:54 AM.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

Messed up either way. I'm surprised that the poor run quality would not be immediately apparent if timing had been off a tooth not to mention I would expect Crank and cam sensor codes. So far though I have never had a trouble code so I don't know what types of codes would be thrown for which condition. I'm too used to OBD2 standards.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by VMCSC View Post
    Messed up either way. I'm surprised that the poor run quality would not be immediately apparent if timing had been off a tooth not to mention I would expect Crank and cam sensor codes. So far though I have never had a trouble code so I don't know what types of codes would be thrown for which condition. I'm too used to OBD2 standards.
    Upon startup after reassembly, there was immediate noise. Got a boroscope and could see the markings of ptv contact..
    luckily valves didnt break and cause major damage.
    i i pulled the motor and installed a new head. It was very difficult to see the timing marks on the cam sprockets with the motor in the frame. Trying to line everything up by lookkng at it at an angle was the issue.
    Current rigs:

'16 Tuono RR -street
    '13 RSV4 -race
    '13 Yamaha WR450F
    '12 GSXR 600 - race
    '07 GSXR 750 - race
    '03 KDX 200

Did the valve adj. yourself or at an aprilia dealer?

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    It would be interesting to hear how this poster got on with his engine, i see he's only had the 2 posts, and hasn't been back...........Himmm.
    It used to be "Rock around the clock" now its "limp around the block".................................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a Bran spanking new 1290 GT. Torque monster.

apriliaforum expert
    Thats a gsxr 1000 engine.
    I was just showing am example to amauris comment about timing being off.
    did it myselk, admittedly
    Current rigs:

'16 Tuono RR -street
    '13 RSV4 -race
    '13 Yamaha WR450F
    '12 GSXR 600 - race
    '07 GSXR 750 - race
    '03 KDX 200

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
    It would be interesting to hear how this poster got on with his engine, i see he's only had the 2 posts, and hasn't been back...........Himmm.
    Id say he is wise to not discuss too much on a public forum
    Current rigs:

'16 Tuono RR -street
    '13 RSV4 -race
    '13 Yamaha WR450F
    '12 GSXR 600 - race
    '07 GSXR 750 - race
    '03 KDX 200

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks for the info, yes I am still here. Marco I will be contacting you I'm sure. I opted for the dealer to tear it open. Well I can say it's the worst catastrophic damage I've seen in an engine in a long while. As to wondering if i was WOT for 10 minutes that's pretty funny. No, I'm one of those who set red shift light 500 or more rpm lower than start of redline. I loved my baby lol. It's having a problem inserting pics of the inside at the moment. Warrantee company basically denied based on the assumption i didn't maintain her and was specifically pointing at oil. I have all sorts of proof and immaculate paper trails of maintenence and repair so, I think in the end I'll be good but I'm basically dealing with an insurance company that doesn't want to pay up.
    2012 Tuono v4 aprc 12k miles blown engine just happened Dec.
    2000 zx9r. 55k miles currently a tip to tail check and overhaul

apriliaforum Junkie Handy Rodder's Avatar
    OR he didn't torque and use new bolts for the cam x timing chain gear. trust me its tough torqueing the front bank properly without specialty tools. if those bolts slip... im afraid what might happen.
    ALLLLL conspiracy at this point.
    13 Tuono
    08 CRF450R
    06 K1200R
    03 YZ450F
    02 GSXR-1K
    96 CBR900
    86 Fazer 700

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast