Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: my tuono v4 horror story. i need advice.

apriliaforum newb

my tuono v4 horror story. i need advice.

So in march I buy a used 2012 tuono v4. My first Aprilia, not my first bike. Has 7k miles on it. After 1k miles of riding i get the hot start issue. The dealer i buy it from has been a Japanese dealer for a long time and just added Aprilia. I knew it would be a bit more technical to maintain and repair than my ninja ( to which I do all my own maintenence and repair) so I opted for the extended warrantee. In less than a year of owning, it's been to the dealer 5 times for hot start problems that often leaves me stranded on my way to work. 1st they determine is my battery (not warrantee covered), then they guess it's my stator (covered but takes them over a month to complete), the other times they say they basically tell me it's fine. They laugh at me when i make the suggestion that is possible is my charcoal canister (a tip given to me by the owner of a different aprilia dealer an hour drive away who mainly does the scooters). I do the oil and spark plugs myself during my ownership. I have them do a valve adjustment and they re map my bike with the newest update that supposedly helps with hot start issues. At that moment, I now have a charging issue and it won't start cold. I buy a charger and was going to just deal with charging it at home daily since this is my daily driver and only vehicle i own. 60 miles after valve job, my motor blows up on the interstate. Warrantee company denies my claim for the engine, pining it on me saying I did not maintain the bike. Not that they see my bike first hand they just look at the repair orders from the dealer. I bring in my receipts for the oil, filter, spark plugs, basically everything that i took care of myself. They still deny claim staying i could have used that oil in anything, that it doesn't prove i used these items to maintain my bike. At this point I'm at a loss. Owned it less than a year, put 5k miles on it and constantly brought it into the dealer to maintain bit apparently that's not enough. I love the bike, absolutely love it but now I'm stuck. Is it worth it to try and get this thing back on the road? What year engines can i use in the 2012 v4. I assume only 2012-2014 but with original ecu cause 2014's have abs correct? First post sorry for the novel, the story is shortened up believe me.

apriliaforum expert
    Sorry for your problems. Unfortunately, there's no way to know what went wrong without tearing into the motor. It could be a problem from Aprilia, or it could be a screwup by the dealer when they did the valve adjustment. Your only other choice is to hire a lawyer to sue the warranty company. New engines are around $9000. You could part out your bike and recover some of your money.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2000.5 Mille R - Ti Shotguns & lots of Evo shtuff
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory

apriliaforum Junkie
    You need to check the laws concerning extended warranties in your state. In WI these policies are considered insurance and regulated as such. If this happened to me I would be contacting my State Attorney General. Don't give up on getting it covered. Enlist a lawyer if needed to make a phone call after other options are exhausted. You paid for a policy and you should expect it to be honored.

I just did a quick check.

Start here: http://www.myfloridacfo.com/division...tyOverview.htm

Contact the warranty company again and let them know you will be filing a complaint if they fail to honor their contract!

Additionally, inform the dealer where you bought the policy of the problems you are having and that you would not be buying another policy from the same company. They want to make money selling the policies but it is a black eye for them if the company they are pushing does not follow through when problems develop. Ask them to contact the warranty company as well.
    Last edited by bmac; 01-12-2017 at 11:54 AM.
    2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100
    2016 BMW S1000XR (2)
    2013 BMW K1600GT

apriliaforum expert
    I would definitely go after the company denying the warranty. That is complete BS.

This story is troubling to say the least and sorry for your troubles.

It seems like there has to be a consumer protection agency of some kind that will go after the warranty company but you never know. It may be worth talking to an attorney to see what options there are and what is typically done.
    Current bike: Street Triple 765 RS

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks everyone, glad to see this forum is still active. I've been reading since I got her in March. I directly contacted warrantee company once again, aprilia usa customer service, and attorney today.
    2012 Tuono v4 aprc 12k miles blown engine just happened Dec.
    2000 zx9r. 55k miles currently a tip to tail check and overhaul

apriliaforum Junkie Dirk.diggler's Avatar
    "Motor blows up 60 miles after a valve job"
    Did they actually make adjustments to the valves, or just check clearances?
    If they have done any work and your motor pops after 60 miles its either a very unlucky coincidence, or something they haven't done right (assuming they did work on the valves)
    Like what has been stated, you need to pull the motor and see what has failed, it may be the shop has some responsibility to you as well.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk.diggler View Post
    "Motor blows up 60 miles after a valve job"
    Did they actually make adjustments to the valves, or just check clearances?
    If they have done any work and your motor pops after 60 miles its either a very unlucky coincidence, or something they haven't done right (assuming they did work on the valves)
    Like what has been stated, you need to pull the motor and see what has failed, it may be the shop has some responsibility to you as well.
    Problem with the OP opening the motor up is Aprilia/the dealer, will undoubtedly doubt that this motor is the one in question. Maybe he switched heads around? Who knows what Aprilia may suggest in order to cover their collective asses.

I'd take videos today, of the bike with the motor in it, with corresponding VINS, etc...
    Current rigs:

'16 Tuono RR -street
    '13 RSV4 -race
    '13 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special
    '13 Yamaha WR450F
    '12 GSXR 600 - race
    '07 GSXR 750 - race
    '03 KDX 200
    '17 Tao Tao Hellcat - pit bike

You could always bring me the bike and lets see what is wrong and ifmit can be reaired. Price would be based on what is damaged, but you haven't posted up any of that info. Maybe we can fix it.
    Marco
    marco bjishkian
    Rocket Ride Cycles
    1855 SW 4th Ave B-17
    Delray Beach FL 33444
    Authorized DynoJet Tuning Center

you might want to read this thread where a member had a blown engine on a 2012 v4: 2012 Tuono blown engine update

Member name is surf monster so you may want to pm him to get tips on how to proceed. He had a happy ending as i remember
    Current bike: Street Triple 765 RS

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by FXCLM5 View Post
    This bike has so many reports of getting valves done then within 1 month the bike literally blows up.... wtf ape
    The only possible cause would be a mechanic that screwed up the job. For example, didn't torque the cam gear bolts with thread locker, or dropped and lost a valve shim or bolt inside engine, or used excess silicon sealer that plugged up the oil screen or pump, or forgot to fill it with oil when he started it back up.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory

apriliaforum expert
    .....or op was beatin' it off the rev limiter in lst gear for 10 miles.
    Current rigs:

'16 Tuono RR -street
    '13 RSV4 -race
    '13 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special
    '13 Yamaha WR450F
    '12 GSXR 600 - race
    '07 GSXR 750 - race
    '03 KDX 200
    '17 Tao Tao Hellcat - pit bike

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo1 View Post
    The only possible cause would be a mechanic that screwed up the job.
    I have to strongly recommend that you never start a conversation with a mechanic this way. Those things are possible certainly but hardly the only possible causes.

Best advice is do not be confrontational about it until you know what really happened and even then give them a chance to make it right first.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by VMCSC View Post
    I have to strongly recommend that you never start a conversation with a mechanic this way. Those things are possible certainly but hardly the only possible causes.

Best advice is do not be confrontational about it until you know what really happened and even then give them a chance to make it right first.
    The question was: Why would so many bikes blow up in a short period of time right after a valve adjustment?
    And there can be only be one likely answer.
    A valve adjustment, if done properly, is not stressful on the engine, and thus there should never be a correlation between valve service and engines blowing up.

Now, is it really true that a lot of V4s have blown up within a month of a valve adjustment? I have no idea. The original poster here is only one case, and I'm not saying that his engine blowing has to be the mechanic's fault. It could also be a problem from Aprilia, and he won't know until the engine is disassembled.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory

apriliaforum Junkie
    mine did weeks after valve clearance .... timing chain.. =/

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast