Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: testing a cheap and easy fix for hot start issue

Tried it on my hypermotard 1100 evo sp... So far so good...

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

apriliaforum expert
    I got around to trying this fix & in my case it made no difference. Before trying the wiring fix I rode to the garage, filled up with fuel, tried to start but it wouldn't, waited a while, started it up & off I went. At home I did the wiring fix, went for a ride, couple of starts & everything was fine, kept riding, tried again, wouldn't start. Took it off, going to the dealer. Battery is good.

apriliaforum Junkie
    went on a ride today. Good warm temperatures, had the bike hot several times and pulled over to take pictures of random stuff while I was out riding. Bike fired up each time without hesitation. seems like the fix...uhh...fixed things lol

My sons VW Golf has/had a similar problem, cold starts were fine, first couple of hot starts were OK then pull in for fuel and it wont turn over, leave it for about 15 minutes and it starts fine.

He had a similar issue to the TV4 in that his battery is in the boot, so battery cables really need to be top notch, it's a vicious 'electrical' circle for those having this issue

Just rounding things up simply, if your starter is rated at 1200watts (or 1.2kilowatts) and your battery is 12volts dc when operating the starter, the amps needed to flow down your cables will be: 1200watts/12vdc = 100 amps

Now, suppose either your battery is not 100% good, or your starter is getting a little worn and the volts now drop to 10volts dc when operating the starter, the amps required will now be: 1200watts/10vdc = 120 amps

Take off another volt when operating the starter and at 9vdc the amp flow will need to be 133 amps, thats a lot of amps for the battery to supply and the cables to carry and it also makes the starter struggle in the same manner, the cables start to warm up and their resistance goes up which makes current transfer even more difficult and more heat is generated, less voltage, more amps required.

This is the exact reason why electricity is moved around the country at 132.000 volts and up in the air on pylons, less current and less heat build up it's also why a substation will 'trip' if the voltage becomes too low, otherwise stuff would start to fry in your house

I dont know what the answer is to the hot start issue, i'm just trying to explain what is happening, my sons problem was fixed with a new starter motor, but it could of just as easy been the 15 foot long cable from boot to engine bay or a less than good battery
    Last edited by mikef4uk; 03-11-2017 at 05:28 AM.

apriliaforum Member the kapitein's Avatar
    Where did you get that thermal blanket? Looks great and i think it will do the job.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G389F met Tapatalk

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by the kapitein View Post
    Where did you get that thermal blanket? Looks great and i think it will do the job.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G389F met Tapatalk
    Hi.
    It's all DIY.
    It's actually white glass thermal insulation, which I covered in gold thermal tape (which blocks a lot of infra red radiation, ie. Heat).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

apriliaforum newb
    I've just done the wire upgrade to my 13 Factory also.

I noticed 2 things while I had the battery out:
    1. There was surface corrosion on the blades of the 30A and 15A fuses for the starter solenoid.
    2. The wires going from the +ve battery terminal to the aforementioned fuses has had some high temps running through it at some point. The wire has oxidised and there is some green corrosion showing. The wire sheath was also slightly brittle.

Baring this in mind, the upgrade I did was with custom 8g wire instead of the 12g that was recommended. I ran 2 additional wires. One as was suggested from the solenoid to the battery +ve terminal. The 2nd was from the +ve terminal to the fuses for the solenoid.
    This should definately aide the starts. There should be very little current drop now.

Obviously I also cleaned the fuses and fuse holders of any corrosion.

When I finally get an opportunity to ride the bike, I'll let you know if it works.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

apriliaforum Junkie
    Took over a year but this just happened to my 15 r. ive worried about it because of the heat in florida, looks like im doing this soon. Scared me even though i knew of the issue, the bike wasnt that hot. it was under 90 outside. Still had me worrying stator, battery

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by litshoot View Post
    Took over a year but this just happened to my 15 r. ive worried about it because of the heat in florida, looks like im doing this soon. Scared me even though i knew of the issue, the bike wasnt that hot. it was under 90 outside. Still had me worrying stator, battery
    Keep in mind that before you modify the wiring or anything else, you must test your charging system and your battery.

If your stator is not generating the voltage to the battery or if your battery is not holding a charge, modifying the wires will be a waste of time.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    Many RSV4's and TV4's are experiencing difficulty starting when the engine is hot, the starter cranks but struggles to turn the engine over fast enough, as if the battery is dead.
    This usually happens when you stop for gas or a short break and try re-starting within a few minutes. Never a problem when the engine is cold.

First, make sure the battery is good (holds a charge and passes a load test)
    Test your charging system to make sure you have correct charging voltage at the battery, usually 13.5 - 14.2 Volts with the engine running.
    Test the stator (especially 2012+ bikes) and make sure it passes continuity and short to ground tests with engine at full temp.

I know that many are having good results with the motoelectrics heavy duty battery cables kit, but it is expensive and can be difficult to install correctly for the average person.

I've been testing a simpler fix on two customer's bikes for a couple weeks now and it seems to be working.

The starter solenoid does double duty as both the main +12V power distribution point to the whole motorcycle, and it also sends high current or Amps to the starter when you push the start button.

Take a look at the OEM positive wire from the battery to the starter solenoid, it is a 8-gauge wire.
    Now take a look at the wire from the solenoid going forward to the starter motor, it is also a 8-gauge wire.

My solution is to install a second wire to supplement the solenoid from the battery.
    Not removing the original wires and replacing with all new wires, just a second wire in parallel with the original.

The wire I added reduces the voltage drop to the starter and to the ECU, fuel pump, injectors and ignition while cranking the engine.

Please see photos showing the 15" long 12-gauge wire with crimp terminals on each end and installation routing.

Of course, the usual precautions must be followed.
    disconnect the battery before you do anything and make sure you route the wire properly so there is no danger of it shorting to metal and possibly starting an electrical fire or worse.

Like I said, this is not a guarantied fix, but worth a try for those experiencing the issue.
    Well, I performed this mod on my '16 RF back when I first found this thread last Fall. It seemed to by and large solve the problem. There have been times that the starter strained to turn the engine over but it would at least start when it was hot, until today. I rode about halfway across town today and made a short stop, about 10 minutes. When I tried to start the engine to leave, I got the same result as I had before the mod. The engine just wouldn't crank. I waited about 30 minutes before trying it again and it fired up fine. I hope that someone comes up with a definitive solution. This is really inconvenient.
    2016 Aprilia RSV4 RF LE #11 of 200
    2011 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol Edition
    2002 Honda RC51
    1980 Honda CBX
    1965 Honda CB77 Vintage Roadracer

apriliaforum expert MishMashRSV4's Avatar
    Add me to the list of testers. I checked my stator and have a permanent voltmeter hooked up. Although I haven't been stuck / stranded, this bike DOES struggle to start when hot. My hardware store was out of 12ga so I went 10ga and everything installed as shown. Can't hurt anything to try at this point

apriliaforum Junkie
    true amauri and its been about 2 weeks 200 miles and about 30 instance free starts since, but none were hot. I will double check before doing the work, but its pushed off for a bit anyways. i figure one big event. heat tape intake, wrap exhaust, starter, do the wiring, oil change. one large service that im past due for.

My 2012 Factory has always been a slug turning over hot, it always kicked but it might take 2 or 3 hits of the starter.

After a month of having this mod installed I can report that my hot start issues are now 99% alleviated.

After a fill at the servo it fires up with relative ease in comparison to before, in the last few weeks there was one instance where it did turn over a little slow which was slightly disappointing but on the 20 or so other times it fired without that embarrassing woeful crank.

Recommend for anyone having issues to try this fix, it's cheap and takes half an hour.

Thanks Amauri!

Today, I installed a reflective insulation blanket on my starter. This in coupled with the additional power wire from the battery to the solenoid, I hope will cure cure the hot start problem. I bought a DEI starter blanket from a local Hot Rod shop and cut it down to fit. Weather has been cold and wet for several days, so I haven't had an opportunity to see if the problem has finally been solved, for sure.
    2016 Aprilia RSV4 RF LE #11 of 200
    2011 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol Edition
    2002 Honda RC51
    1980 Honda CBX
    1965 Honda CB77 Vintage Roadracer

Quote Originally Posted by cb77guy View Post
    Today, I installed a reflective insulation blanket on my starter. This in coupled with the additional power wire from the battery to the solenoid, I hope will cure cure the hot start problem. I bought a DEI starter blanket from a local Hot Rod shop and cut it down to fit. Weather has been cold and wet for several days, so I haven't had an opportunity to see if the problem has finally been solved, for sure.
    I had hoped this simple wire mod would definitively cure the problem. But on a hot day of course, when I needed it to restart the most, it didn't.
    My charging system is still in the black so I will do the above heat shielding mod as well.
    I can see how the real culprit here has got to be the V4 configuration and the need to put the starter where it is
    As soon as I got the starter cooled down enough, it seemed to crank well again.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast