Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: testing a cheap and easy fix for hot start issue

Got more data,,,,i installed and confirgured my autotune set up today, which caused a lot of hot restarts due to the nature of the install and first trim learning. It seems like my old hot issues have been significantly reduced, so i would have to say that adding both the hot and ground loops has been successful.
    M
    marco bjishkian
    Rocket Ride Cycles
    1855 SW 4th Ave B-17
    Delray Beach FL 33444
    Authorized DynoJet Tuning Center

apriliaforum newb
    Just thought I would bump this thread with my fix from the dealership that I go to. I initially had my bike in for an oil change only, then decided to have them look at my hot start issue again. Apparently Aprilia is fixing our bikes under warranty with the same fix Amauri is suggesting as they installed a second wire to the starter solenoid. I just picked up my bike and purposely made 2 hot starts while the bike was over 200 degrees, and so far so good. It definitely starts faster, and I didnt have to rev it when it was trying to start. Hopefully I'm not duplicating this warranty info in this thread. I did a quick read through again and didn't see anything. My apologies if this info was already common knowledge.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Didnt had hot start issue on my 2013 but this definitely improve hot starting speed!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Banned
    I have been think and researching and I think the problem is a starter heat soak issue. (Amuri all bs aside tell me what u think, I value ur opinion). When the starter gets so hot it begins to cause resistance in the starters conductors. This creates a higher amperage draw necessary to turn the starter motor which in turn creates a slow crank or no crank condition. Putting a heat shield or heat tape wrapping the starter should prevent excessive heat soak/resistance in the starter. And a higher amperage battery will also help eliminate this. This all according to info I got when I put in heat soak starting problem in google. What y'all think.? I am going to tape up my starter and see if that fixed it before I install my cable kit from moto lectric. Simple fix
    Last edited by RSV4life; 09-02-2017 at 11:34 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RSV4life View Post
    I have been think and researching and I think the problem is a starter heat soak issue. (Amuri all bs aside tell me what u think, I value ur opinion). When the starter gets so hot it begins to cause resistance in the starters conductors. This creates a higher amperage draw necessary to turn the starter motor which in turn creates a slow crank or no crank condition. Putting a heat shield or heat tape wrapping the starter should prevent excessive heat soak/resistance in the starter. And a higher amperage battery will also help eliminate this. This all according to info I got when I put in heat soak starting problem in google. What y'all think.? I am going to tape up my starter and see if that fixed it before I install my cable kit from moto lectric. Simple fix
    Considering heat blankets have been posted in this thread and others have made the same comment I'd guess some people agree with you.... 2 different solutions to a similar problem. Both can help.

apriliaforum newb
    Amauri, I tried this on my 2014 rsv4 aprc and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the info

I just did the wire trick on my 2016 RSV4 RF using 10 guage wire. Fit fine. Worked great ! Before, it was as if my battery was dead everytime I tried to start her while hot. Typical hot start issue symptom, I would have to wait a few minutes before she’ll start up again.

After the mod, It starts up with no issues. I tested it a few times at +200*F, it started up fine. I believe having a strong, fully charged battery also helps. Thanks again Amauri !

apriliaforum prov-nov
    My '13 Tuono has just started having hot start issues after 16k kms. Had about 4 or 5 in the time ive owned the bike (6k kms).

Is there an image of where the negative wire from the battery attaches to the engine case? Or can I just follow the original wire?

So for this mod you need:

12AWG 15" form the battery positive to the starter solenoid
    46" or more, 12 AWG from the battery negative to the engine case.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

Is wire also added from the negative solenoid to the negative battery terminal as well?

Its getting hot here in South Africa so now is a good time to test this out. Would like to test out this weekend.

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    did you read my fist post?
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    I did.

I'm just checking if I need to do the second wore as well as it was mentioned in the previous pages and had some advantage to it.

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Most important is that you read, understood and performed the tests described in bold letters on the second paragraph.

If the preliminary test results are all good, then you can try one wire at a time to see for yourself what works best.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    Hi Amauri, Are there still hot start issues with the 2017 tuono or have aprilia sorted the issue..?
    Bikes i own -
    Aprilia tuono V4R APRC, Aprilia Tuono V2, Fazer 1000 tuned(Ivanised)
    Bikes of the past -
    Kawasaki 650 Versys, Triumph sprint st 1050, Aprilia Falco,Suzuki gsxr 1000 k6, Kawasaki Gpz 1100s, Suzuki 1000 v strom, Honda Vf 1000f, Kawasaki Gpz 750 turbo, Kawasaki z 750s,Suzuki Gsxr 750 g, kawasaki Z 750 l1,Suzuki 650 v strom , Suzuki sv 650, Kawasaki Z 650, Suzuki freewind, Bmw F 650, Yamaha xj 650,Kawasaki Zx636 b1h,Yamaha fazer 600, Kawasaki Zzr 600,Honda hornet 600, Suzuki Gs500, Yamaha Xs 400 ,yamaha fzr 600, Kawasaki Fx400r, Yamaha rd 250/350 lc, Honda Cb 250 n,Yamaha tdr 250, Suzuki gt 250 x7, Yamaha dtr 125, Suzuki A 100, Honda H 100, Suzuki zr 50... Think that's them all

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910