Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Shiver and DD 900

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haga lout View Post
    Well been to bike show today and talked to a aprilia bloke on the stand and he told me no 900 bikes for the uk full stop and 1200 capo is ended now only dealer stock now in uk so we will see who's right him or my dealer
    Hagalout I am told that the UK will only have rs4 125 Tuono 125 rs50 rsv4 Tuono v4 and a few small scooters and that's our lot . I like the shiver ,but if we can't try it we won't buy it simple

Quote Originally Posted by ferret View Post
    Hagalout I am told that the UK will only have rs4 125 Tuono 125 rs50 rsv4 Tuono v4 and a few small scooters and that's our lot . I like the shiver ,but if we can't try it we won't buy it simple
    Yes it looks bad for getting the 900 in the uk strange there cutting back on there line up my dealer is still saying he is getting them or can get me one but like you I'd like to test before I buy I'm interested in the Dorso but it will need more tank range if the uk don't get them I'll see if Spain gets them as I can get one there and stick a gib plate on it

apriliaforum Member
    Looks like this thread needs a bump: http://www.aprilia.com/it_IT/notizie...Dorsoduro-900/

Translation: May 19th. First encounter. Stay tuned.

apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
    According to the latest info from Aprilia, the wheels are the same that are used on newest rsv4 and tuono v4 1100, so 6 inches.

Here's an attachment pdf with more info on the models.

Attachment 322040
    don't see much from 12 l of fuel.
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

Aprilia! a 12L tank on a 900 is not enough, this will not give any more range than the 750 on a 11L... why, why, why do they do this when there is so much talk about it
    I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken
    Husky TR650
    DD750
    Capo Rally

Wow, what a joke. I was going to seriously consider one of the dorsoduros too
    Current bikes - 2012 Tuono V4

Blog/Website - www.onthebackwheel.com

apriliaforum prov-nov
    The new 900s are expected to launch July / August in India.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...st-404856.aspx

Yellow Shirt

Shiver 900 quick test

Interesting how the new dash registers some speed when the bike is in neutral, on its kickstand, and revved up a bit. Made quick work of 209 km/h. Not too shabby. Overall, I think it's pretty much apples to apples with the 750 though.
    2014 DD 750 ABS - Spark exhaust, Arrow decat, headers (all ceramic coated), BMC filter, FatDuc, BikeMaster DLFP16-BS LiFePO battery, GPR steering damper, DD 1200 fully adjustable rear shock w/spring swap, 2016 Tuono Factory wheels, 15/44 520 conversion (PBR/Superlite/DID), Strada-7 fork preload adjusters, Samco 2-piece hose kit w/clamps, Engine Ice, Renazco Racing seat, EvoTech tidy tail, Aprilia grab handles, shorty levers, crank-case breather mod, evap-can delete... and a Rapid Bike EVO on order...

Would love a quick shifter to go with it.
    Current bikes - 2012 Tuono V4

Blog/Website - www.onthebackwheel.com

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    This showing some speed on dash while stationary and especially when being revved has been a pretty common thing on the last couple of generations of V4 ecu's.

I would like to address the dual vs single spark saga. It makes no difference in practical terms if a combustion chamber/piston are well engineered and designed whether you have one central spark event or one central and one side event as the total change in ignition timing if effectively zero. You often see manufacturers go the dual spark route when they have a combustion chamber design just not quite efficient enough to get good clean and complete burns accomplished at low cylinder pressures like seen in idle speed ranges. In a 2 valve cylinder head where there is more available real estate for adding extra holes for spark plugs you can see some real reductions in the amount of ignition lead required for a complete combustion event, like almost half the number of spark advance degrees required using a single plug, this is especially beneficial on air cooled motors where the longer any particular combustion event takes in physical time the more heat is imparted to the head. This is the reason old BMW and even newer Ducati 2 valve motors when made to run at higher performance either aftermarket or out of the box saw real benefits from 2 plugs per cylinder, that and by their nature 2 valve heads are very easy to make highly swirled charges into the cylinders where 4 valve motors rely more on what Keith Duckworth would refine into "tumble charge" airflow dynamics in the Cosworth days. A high swirl 2 valve head with dual spark plugs even using a very oversquare bore and stroke can get away with very, very little ignition lead, like say 4-5 emissions compliant degrees of advance at idle speeds. As rpm and load increase they can still burn their chambers insanely fast.

Nissan actually made combustion too quick early in their days of dual spark to the point where dual spark was only used at low rpm and light loads and had to be switched or the block would literally ring from excessively fast combustion. I guess the point of all this is, do not get hung up on dual, single, triple or whatever spark, as long as the underlying design is good the engine will work well. Aviation piston engines use dual spark but actually slightly offset timing for plug sets for different reasons entirely...like total redudancy of the ignition system to provide thrust in the event of a spark failure on one system killing the motor, the offset is mainly just to get even rpm drops when you check during the preflight runup of both-left-right magnetos.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Thanks Micah, for your time to provide this explanation.
    The first BMW GS650s had a single spark head and ran like dogs, This was improved in the subsequent twin-spark head, but they probably also changed the fuelling. I have a twin-spark F650 and it ran sweet.
    I did wonder why Aprilia didn't put two sparks in the over-square motor, but you have clarified this.
    I think the biggest issue in smooth running of the Shivers/DDs is the lean mixture through emissions regs. I have not experienced this to be a sufficient issue in either of my Shivers (2010 GT and now 2015 SL) to get a FatDuc or similar.
    I'll be interested to see how the new bike compares to the current (old) models.
    Thanks
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

In four valve heads up the three spark plugs can be placed in available chamber real estate if actual desire is to speed complete combustion. When you get to a five valve head 1 takes up valuable real estate and the chamber shape is not very efficient for combustion. The carburetor pegaso we got briefly in the USA was a five valve head and was very prone to stalling and incomplete chamber burn stock, richening light load Fueling helped a lot but did not completely solve issues with the Rotax 655 series with 5 valve head which even at 12-14 degrees idle ignition advance and corrected fueling was not ideal.

Back in the 1960's Honda tested some prototype motors to over 27,000 rpm to research flame propagation to and discovered that provided swirl in chamber was sufficient that rpm was not limiting factor on how high an engine could be run but frictional losses soaked up power gains in upper revs faster (exponentially I would guess) than made super high rpm a reasonable option. These test motors used torsion valve springs...wrap your head around that lol.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Btw the silly small fuel tank on these bikes is a major annoyance to me as well if looking for something to complain about. My commute would require daily fill ups and I think I'd probably just go with a Zero Electric Motorcycle at that point. Hard to argue with 117 ft/lbs of torque from zero mph to top speed limiter at 104mph or so.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

The guy in the video above has a 900DD video where the speedo doesn't adjust at idle. Maybe pre-production

More videos showing up. Interesting comment on the licensing. One can hope they mis-quoted power (0n low side) like some Automakers have done.

Is Apri-lia

Last edited by Tdawg; 07-04-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast