Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Shiver and DD 900

And the crap fueling no to mention re hire the design guy ,I would never buy on it's looks after this the DD is the the best. .

apriliaforum Junkie brandonmccann's Avatar
    I really like the new model compared to previous years. Mostly because I like the first generation look.

I don't want one, though. I'm glad they didn't do anything super crazy and ill just keep adding to my 09 for now. Would be rad if the 1200 crank could be fitted in in the future as well. If it's possible perhaps someone would sell it as a retrofit/upgrade kit.
    -----------------------------------------
    Seemingly endless conquest(WTB) for - Bazzaz Z-fi tc kit, Healtech quickshifter, GLpro X gear indicator, aftermarket shock, HLD Large Rear Fender, Carbon tank & ignition panels; For 2009 Shiver.
    For SALE - Brake and Clutch Master Cylinders W/ Mad Hornet adjustable levers and OEM mirrors; From a 2009 Shiver.

2009 Aprilia Shiver; Apex Clipons, 520 45T, Motocorsaro o2 Optimiser, DNA filter and snorkel removal, Accosatto clutch & brake masters, Mussan MPdemon header & decat link pipe, Skidmarx Bellypan, HLD seat cowl, Sport Screen, CRG Arrows, LED retrofit(Opt7, Zevo, Watsen), R&G Tidy, Rosmoto Rearsets, T-Rex Sliders.

apriliaforum Member
    from what I have read the 1200, although looks the same, is made different so that the parts cannot be mixed up on assembly at the factory. Transmission gearing layout is different and I think the cyclinder/crank offset is flipped per the 750.

That said, the 900 looks great! updated graphics are hot and the article I saw puts the torque around 70 ft lbs. Solid contender. Wait, Maybe I'll just stick with my 1200. Brrrrraaapp, BrrrraaapP!!!!!

http://www.insella.it/news/eicma-201...istiche-138538

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    quick question on the 900s

How do you want the forums to breakout? We got heat for combining the Shiver/Dorso forums along time ago, but they are so similar that I think it was beneficial. Brothers from the same mother. Parts and tech info are shared very closely.

Do we want to throw the 900 in with the 750 forums, start one new Shiver/Dorso 900cc forum, or two new ones (a shiver 900 and separate Dorso 900)

apriliaforum expert
    Ed,

You would maybe know more than us but in my opinion, split off with a shiver/DD 900 thread. The 900 will come with its own new set of problems I'd imagine compared to the 750s and 1200s.

But this also depends on the 900s changes relative to the 1200 or 750... if the only change to the 900 is the stroke and nothing else like electronics... maybe keep it in the 750 area because its basically a stroked 750...

Like my wishy washy response?

Hi Ed

It appears to me that the new 900s will be essentially similar. Certainly the frame is the same and I expect that there will be similarities in the engine (e.g. crankcases). Engine design does not appear to have changed although some dimensions will have. It also seems to me that the same type of rider who buys the 750s will also buy the 900s (although I expect more newer riders on the 750). Contrast this with the Tuono, RSV4 and Caponord riders and bikes. So the similarities exceed the differences. And this thread has already shown how some forum members are already looking at cobbling bits from the 900s for use on the 750s.

So my preference, at least at this point, would be to include the 900s in this forum.

Edit: Just seen RTS's post which came in when I was responding. A factor will depend on how different the bikes are, and I speculated about this above. If they are essentially a stroked 750 with traction control, as RTS asks, this would warrant keeping them together with the 750s.

My bike prior to Shivers was a Ducati 1000 DS Multistrada. Multistrada.net kept the same forum for the newer 1100 Multis as well as the 1000s, even though the motors were bigger and there were other improvements like fuel injection and a wet clutch. However, when the liquid cooled Multis came out, they had a different forum. I found that my experience with the 1000 was similar to those with the 1100s and it was good having discussion in the same place, but I spent little time in the water-cooled Multi forum.
    Last edited by Frodo; 11-08-2016 at 02:59 PM.
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

True it would be good to have it here essentially the same bikes with benefits.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    So the similarities exceed the differences.
    What he said.

So... I wonder what the cam profiles will be like on the 900, and if they drop into the 750 and finally show us benefits.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    2014 DD 750 ABS - Spark exhaust, Arrow decat, headers (all ceramic coated), BMC filter, FatDuc, BikeMaster DLFP16-BS LiFePO battery, GPR steering damper, DD 1200 fully adjustable rear shock w/spring swap, 2016 Tuono Factory wheels, 15/44 520 conversion (PBR/Superlite/DID), Strada-7 fork preload adjusters, Samco 2-piece hose kit w/clamps, Engine Ice, Renazco Racing seat, EvoTech tidy tail, Aprilia grab handles, shorty levers, crank-case breather mod, evap-can delete... and a Rapid Bike EVO on order...

Bit more info here: http://ridermagazine.com/2016/11/08/...t-look-review/
    Additional info:
    - A new internal lubrication circuit limits power loss due to churning and oil consumption [suggests changes to the internals]
    - Exhaust system, fitted with a double oxygen sensor, meets Euro 4 standards.
    - A new, more powerful Marelli 7SM ECU communicates with an updated, 1.2-pounds-lighter throttle-by-wire system, which offers Sport, Touring and Rain engine maps.
    - 3-level traction control, Continental two-channel switchable ABS
    - Kayaba upside-down fork, which is one pound lighter than its predecessor and is adjustable for spring preload and rebound damping [great!]
    - The rear shock is adjustable for spring preload only [I think this is in error as the old shock has adjustable rebound damping. The shock in the photos seems similar to the old one and appears to have the same damping adjustment screw.]
    - Full-color TFT instrumentation
    - New three-split-spoke, cast aluminum wheels are 4.4 pounds lighter than the previous wheels [welcome change, given how heavy the original hoops are].
    - Shiver fuel tank similar volume (4 US gallons)
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

I'd be a vote to keep the 900's with the 750's, forum-wise.
    Makes sense.
    It is early days, and no one has even ridden the thing (do we even have a photographer/member on the ground in Milan to post-up some real-world pics?! Other than the industry/journo images?!)

exciting times!

edit: and more info to the above: https://rideapart.com/articles/april...new-shiver-900 (another article, similar... adds mention of smartphone connectivity... sigh... apart from the track-day features!)
    Last edited by Yankee_750; 11-08-2016 at 06:03 PM.

And here: https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...ok-fast-facts/

Additional new info:
    - Ride-by-Wire system that’s completely built into the throttle grip
    - Continental ABS system can be disabled
    - The digital instrumentation can be upgraded with Aprilia’s multimedia platform, which connects to a smartphone and displays incoming information such as calls directly on the screen [who wants distractions like this?]
    - Dorsoduro 900 is priced at $10,299 (MSRP). This is nearly $2,000 cheaper than the base Ducati Hypermotard 939.
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Bit more info here: http://ridermagazine.com/2016/11/08/...t-look-review/
    Additional info:
    - A new internal lubrication circuit limits power loss due to churning and oil consumption [suggests changes to the internals]
    - Exhaust system, fitted with a double oxygen sensor, meets Euro 4 standards.
    - A new, more powerful Marelli 7SM ECU communicates with an updated, 1.2-pounds-lighter throttle-by-wire system, which offers Sport, Touring and Rain engine maps.
    - 3-level traction control, Continental two-channel switchable ABS
    - Kayaba upside-down fork, which is one pound lighter than its predecessor and is adjustable for spring preload and rebound damping [great!]
    - The rear shock is adjustable for spring preload only [I think this is in error as the old shock has adjustable rebound damping. The shock in the photos seems similar to the old one and appears to have the same damping adjustment screw.]
    - Full-color TFT instrumentation
    - New three-split-spoke, cast aluminum wheels are 4.4 pounds lighter than the previous wheels [welcome change, given how heavy the original hoops are].
    - Shiver fuel tank similar volume (4 US gallons)
    based on this info I would vote new thread. Many things different... even more things different than the 1200 vs the 750 I think?

apriliaforum expert High Country's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalTireSkid View Post
    based on this info I would vote new thread. Many things different... even more things different than the 1200 vs the 750 I think?
    I agree with Radical. As much as I'd love to see them mixed in here, they seem to be a third distinct variation of Dorso/Shiver. (still pining for a 1200 Shiver)

BTW: With 2 oxygen sensors, a decat will cause an error code.
    2009 Aprilia Dosoduro 750 (Adventurized: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/a...893274&thumb=1)

To me, the bikes should stay in the same thread.

This seems like a sensible evolution of the Shiver / Dorsoduro platform. Since Aprilia didn't slowly update the bikes since their original introduction (apart from the "facelift" in 2011), it might seem like a lot of changes but if they were doing this bit by bit since 2007 we might well be in exactly the same place.

I do like the changes and I'm excited to ride the new bikes!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast