Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Shiver and DD 900

New Shiver and DD 900

Odo posted the news about the new Shiver and DD 900 in the "What I did..." thread, but I think it warrants a separate discussion.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2017-april...er-electronics

He said:

Got upset by the specs of the new Shiver:

http://www.cycleworld.com/2017-april...tronics#page-3

same frame, but with a 900cc engine capable of... the same power

Name:  Shiver 900.jpg
Views: 2368
Size:  212.8 KB

I think that this is a great move. It will give the motor a genuine 95 HP and probably also some extra torque. I feel that the frame is fine, but the suspenders, front and rear, could be improved.

So previous stories of doom and gloom about the Shiver and DD are unfounded.
    I think this is great news!
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

apriliaforum expert
    glad they updated the engine. hopefully it puts out more than 95 hp though.

my 750 dorso feels like 90hp compared to my 110hp rated old CBR (engine.. not rear wheel hp which should be ~10% loss for each bike and ~ equal in general). don't have a dyno though to prove it. I guess it would crank out similar hp though given they only increased the stroke. should be much more torqie now.

I like the lower insurance costs of the 750 cc class.

Now... I wonder if we could swap the 1200 crank over to our 750's to achieve the same stroke. I'm not splitting my cases any time soon, but it'd be interesting to know how much more base gasket thickness would be needed to keep the piston away from the valves.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    2014 DD 750 ABS - Spark exhaust, Arrow decat, headers (all ceramic coated), BMC filter, FatDuc, BikeMaster DLFP16-BS LiFePO battery, GPR steering damper, DD 1200 fully adjustable rear shock w/spring swap, 2016 Tuono Factory wheels, 15/44 520 conversion (PBR/Superlite/DID), Strada-7 fork preload adjusters, Samco 2-piece hose kit w/clamps, Engine Ice, Renazco Racing seat, EvoTech tidy tail, Aprilia grab handles, shorty levers, crank-case breather mod, evap-can delete... and a Rapid Bike EVO on order...

apriliaforum expert High Country's Avatar
    The article mentioned "improved electronics", and being able to pass Euro4. I wonder if that is just the addition of traction control, or if the bike's mapping will be accessible for tuning. If so, the 900 could be a lot more responsive to exhaust and intake mods, so there might be a lot more horsepower available.

The longer stroke should make it an even better canyon carver.
    2009 Aprilia Dosoduro 750 (Adventurized: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/a...893274&thumb=1)

Here in BC the rate goes up after 750cc, thats why I bought it, with no regrets!
    I'd rather be on my bike thinking about god than be in church thinking about my bike 8)

I have been informed that it would be possible to put 1200 piston and barrels on a 750 lump ... but that's a project for the future ... lol

I said this back in 2013 .... lol
    2010 Factory DD that I want to make FACTORY Factory
    Shes there ... stands at 22.96kg shed.

apriliaforum newb
    Most excited for new 41mm Kayaba Fork, hmmm backward compatible? Yes Please!

If they keep the same tanks the miles per tank would suck... the reason I never took the engine mod any further as at the moment I get about 100 miles + 25 reserve on the stock 750 lump and with my riding style the consensus was mileage would drop to 55-65 miles + 15 reserve
    2010 Factory DD that I want to make FACTORY Factory
    Shes there ... stands at 22.96kg shed.

apriliaforum Member
    Damn this is hot! Anything about the technology of the motor? When people were talking about the death of the v-twin I was pretty sold on that but looking at the pics.... it's still a v-twin, just bigger but with the same hp?!

Quote Originally Posted by Rostuff View Post
    Damn this is hot! Anything about the technology of the motor? When people were talking about the death of the v-twin I was pretty sold on that but looking at the pics.... it's still a v-twin, just bigger but with the same hp?!
    Looks like the same engine layout, with longer stroke. That is what makes me think they may be using more restrictive fuel mapping to meet the new emissions requirements. That would mean there are more gains to be had by uncorking and remapping it.

2009 Aprilia Dosoduro 750 (Adventurized: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/a...893274&thumb=1)

anyone want to buy a slightly used "750" :-(
    it'll be worth about, what, $0.50 after "Spring 2017"?
    In all seriousness, this is great news: Go Team Aprilia!
    p.s. I can't wait to have a spin on this
    p.p.s. looks great (oh, cuz it looks like our existing bikes!) -kinda.

Okay... riddle me this... Can we swap the 1200 crank into our 750's? Lots of Ducati rebuilds are Frankenstein machines, borrowing cranks and barrels from different machines to yield the wanted displacement and hp/tq characteristics. I haven't done the calculations, but wonder how thick of a base gasket would be needed to keep the piston from hitting the valves at TDC with the 1200 crank. Fueling could be resolved with a properly tuned BAZZAZ. Would be an interesting project for sure

The new stroke would be 11 mm greater, so a 5.5 mm increase in base gasket would do the trick, I imagine. Perhaps less, once you get in there and really figure out the squish. Premium octane fuel for sure, as the compression figures would increase.

Putting the 1200 crank and jugs would simply turn it into a 1200.

Hmmmm... Swapping just the 1200 jugs... Larger displacement, short stroke, higher revs... some day, when I've got the $$$ to burn on a pair of wrecks. But I digress.
    Last edited by rule62; 11-07-2016 at 07:29 PM.
    2014 DD 750 ABS - Spark exhaust, Arrow decat, headers (all ceramic coated), BMC filter, FatDuc, BikeMaster DLFP16-BS LiFePO battery, GPR steering damper, DD 1200 fully adjustable rear shock w/spring swap, 2016 Tuono Factory wheels, 15/44 520 conversion (PBR/Superlite/DID), Strada-7 fork preload adjusters, Samco 2-piece hose kit w/clamps, Engine Ice, Renazco Racing seat, EvoTech tidy tail, Aprilia grab handles, shorty levers, crank-case breather mod, evap-can delete... and a Rapid Bike EVO on order...

Quote Originally Posted by rule62 View Post
    Hmmmm... Swapping just the 1200 jugs... Larger displacement, short stroke, higher revs... some day, when I've got the $$$ to burn on a pair of wrecks. But I digress.
    I like that idea.

The only thing I'm not fond of is the big chin covering the ABS. I'm glad I got an early model without it. I wouldn't be totally opposed to ABS, but don't want it hanging out there on a bike that is supposed to be all terrain.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by rule62 View Post
    Okay... riddle me this... Can we swap the 1200 crank into our 750's? Lots of Ducati rebuilds are Frankenstein machines, borrowing cranks and barrels from different machines to yield the wanted displacement and hp/tq characteristics. I haven't done the calculations, but wonder how thick of a base gasket would be needed to keep the piston from hitting the valves at TDC with the 1200 crank. Fueling could be resolved with a properly tuned BAZZAZ. Would be an interesting project for sure

The new stroke would be 11 mm greater, so a 5.5 mm increase in base gasket would do the trick, I imagine. Perhaps less, once you get in there and really figure out the squish. Premium octane fuel for sure, as the compression figures would increase.

Putting the 1200 crank and jugs would simply turn it into a 1200.

I bet you could swap the jugs and heads and throttle bodies and ecu from a 1200 to the 750... wonder if they use the same tranny... if they do... that would explain the 1200's mythical transmission problems

either way.. for the 900 I wonder if they upsized (or need to upsize) the tranny compared to the 750. It may run the same hp but the torque is higher... gears are sized for torque/wear primarily (at least that's what I've heard from the transmission designers where I work).
    Last edited by RadicalTireSkid; 11-07-2016 at 08:38 PM.

apriliaforum expert
    biggest question... are they gonna fix the freaking gas tank!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast