Thread: Shiver airbox mod how to?

apriliaforum Junkie brandonmccann's Avatar

Shiver airbox mod how to?

Right,

so Black Friday sales are coming up and I'm hoping to get a few upgrades for my bike while I'm at it. WHEN I do the airbox mod, I will probably have a decat, DNA filter, and a motocorsaro but currently I only have the motocorsaro installed.

To do the mod, do I just cut out/remove this part here? Believe it's called the snorkel?

-----------------------------------------
    Seemingly endless conquest(WTB) for - Bazzaz Z-fi tc kit, Healtech quickshifter, GLpro X gear indicator, aftermarket shock, HLD Large Rear Fender, Carbon tank & ignition panels; For 2009 Shiver.
    For SALE - Brake and Clutch Master Cylinders W/ Mad Hornet adjustable levers and OEM mirrors; From a 2009 Shiver.

2009 Aprilia Shiver; Apex Clipons, 520 45T, Motocorsaro o2 Optimiser, DNA filter and snorkel removal, Accosatto clutch & brake masters, Mussan MPdemon header & decat link pipe, Skidmarx Bellypan, HLD seat cowl, Sport Screen, CRG Arrows, LED retrofit(Opt7, Zevo, Watsen), R&G Tidy, Rosmoto Rearsets, T-Rex Sliders.

Just pull on it really hard and it will come out. No particularly noticeable difference whether removed or not.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    2014 DD 750 ABS - Spark exhaust, Arrow decat, headers (all ceramic coated), BMC filter, FatDuc, BikeMaster DLFP16-BS LiFePO battery, GPR steering damper, DD 1200 fully adjustable rear shock w/spring swap, 2016 Tuono Factory wheels, 15/44 520 conversion (PBR/Superlite/DID), Strada-7 fork preload adjusters, Samco 2-piece hose kit w/clamps, Engine Ice, Renazco Racing seat, EvoTech tidy tail, Aprilia grab handles, shorty levers, crank-case breather mod, evap-can delete... and a Rapid Bike EVO on order...

Quote Originally Posted by rule62 View Post
    Just pull on it really hard and it will come out. No particularly noticeable difference whether removed or not.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Cool, so no need for a dremel to cut then? If I can just pull on it instead that would be great as I have difficulty sourcing said dremel.
    Seemingly endless conquest(WTB) for - Bazzaz Z-fi tc kit, Healtech quickshifter, GLpro X gear indicator, aftermarket shock, HLD Large Rear Fender, Carbon tank & ignition panels; For 2009 Shiver.
    For SALE - Brake and Clutch Master Cylinders W/ Mad Hornet adjustable levers and OEM mirrors; From a 2009 Shiver.

2009 Aprilia Shiver; Apex Clipons, 520 45T, Motocorsaro o2 Optimiser, DNA filter and snorkel removal, Accosatto clutch & brake masters, Mussan MPdemon header & decat link pipe, Skidmarx Bellypan, HLD seat cowl, Sport Screen, CRG Arrows, LED retrofit(Opt7, Zevo, Watsen), R&G Tidy, Rosmoto Rearsets, T-Rex Sliders.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Even with the snorkel removed the hole is still small. With a small hole saw you can put in one or two extra holes on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonmccann View Post
    Cool, so no need for a dremel to cut then? If I can just pull on it instead that would be great as I have difficulty sourcing said dremel.
    Yeah, it's made of a kind of a hard rubbery material, and has a slot in it that fits to the airbox. A little squeezing and pulling and it'll pop right out. After, decat, slipons, fatduc, and DNA.. I liked the way my '14 DD ran better with the snorkel in place. YMMV

So I finally fitted on a decat and new exhaust, and I'm looking towards getting a REXXER tune next spring.

With the tune, I'd like to also open up my airbox fully. I don't think I'll get a quickshifter or any of the suspension things anymore, as I've put quite a bit in the bike as it is. I just need a few cosmetic things and the rexxer tune and I should be plenty happy with the changes I've made over the years.

So, with that being said, I'd like to open up the airbox like this http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...-of-Airbox-mod or if there are any other suggestions?

I'd like to use a GSF1200 DNA filter(since I already have a DNA filter)unless there is a better suggestion to go along with my current filter, just made sense to me. I also intend to purchase a spare airbox lid and do the mod to that one, so I don't end up ruining my stock one.

To me it looks like the airbox mod is accomplished by -

1) drilling 6 small holes, 3 on each side of the airbox lid.
    2) relocating the sensor in the lid to the side vertically/upside down(?)
    3) Routing out enough space to install the extra filter, and keeping it in place by using some sort of adhesive. But the type of adhesive, I am not sure about.

Are there any other steps to this do you guys think? Or have any suggestions? The rexxer tune will be for an open airbox and open baffles so everything should hopefully work together.

Thanks!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I just put a DNA filter in there, pulled the snorkel and enlarged the inlet on the airbox like others on here have. Picked up a second airbox for cheap in case I messed up.

It's very loud now as is, and I prefer that the filter is still tucked away a wee bit so I don't have to clean it as often.

Obviously any mods like this change the acoustic properties of the airbox, and hence have a small effect on the tuning of the engine, over and above any supposed flow benefits. E.g. airbox resonances are quite often used to fill in dips in the torque curve.

In respect of the Rexxer map, remember your de-cat pipe is unique and the cans are pretty unusual, too!
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

Yeah I know it is pretty unique. it'll take some back and forth with Rexxer to get it done as well as possible. Maybe I can describe it to them as a Toce system without the baffles on a ducati monster?

I would love to take it to AF1 but for the cost of having it done there, and the hotel and food for the days it'll take, it's almost as much as me just buying the programmer to do it in my garage.

Anyone want to let me stay with them in austin for 2 days? lol.

So currently I have the snorkel removed, would I not have anything to gain from truly opening the airbox other than time spent and intake noise?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    It's really hard to say what will happen without trying it and, crucially, properly measuring the outcome. Just making changes and leaving the map doesn't give the full picture because you're not changing the fueling etc. to take advantage of the mods.

Simulation can give some insights, but they need a lot of data / measurements. I understand that sometimes people are able to run simulations and create maps based purely on that, which is astounding, if only as a baseline to work from before a proper map on the dyno.

I doubt you can do too much damage, but a generic map will always be a generic map, no matter how many you try. That said, it's something I plan to do myself, so I'm pretty much in the same boat I think. I figure it'll be better than the stock map at least!
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

I wonder if AF1 includes dyno measurements? I'll have to inquire about that to see.

It does include 2 maps, so I was thinking of just having them make 2 different ones and I can just use whichever works better.

Lastly, if there's anything left to be gained, I could always add a Bazzaz or a Rapidbike(more likely the bazzaz) and have it dyno tuned.

The way I see it, the ECU needs to be flashed to get the real benefit of a fueling manager anyways. Flash, and then clean it up with a manager. And like you said, regardless it should be better than the stock map if nothing else.