Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 91

Thread: What does the RACE ECU change?

  1. #76
    apriliaforum expert PRC001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenFlash View Post
    Just because it is an limited and out-of-date solution doesn't mean that it's the best solution for certain people. Gabro can state his opinion as fact (ie, when he said "Or you can buy an ECU flashed with a proper map of mine, with better overall performance at a fraction of the cost of the options exhaminated above". Yet I can't state a fact about the limitations of ECU swapping without it ruffling your feathers? I think we all need to have slightly thicker skin if productive discussion is to be hard.

    I'm sure you are happy with your Gabro tune. If you got it more than a couple of months ago, it's safe to safe that there were fewer options available to you than what is currently available to others. That said, i think it is in everyone's best interests to be honest with the pros and cons of each solution and not take offense when offense was not intended, okay?
    Of course you can point out what you perceive to be limitations. But, it appears, you seem hell bent on targeting one person in particular with whom you seem to have a real problem. Get over yourself! The world is big enough for all sorts to play in... people will make their choice and pay their money according to what they see fit for their purpose and budget.

    In the context of what was being discussed above, you seem to have just focused on a few words rather than taking the whole into account.

    In the scheme of things, you've been around for 5 minutes. So move along now, put your ego back in the box and stop taking offence at every little thing that gets said that you don't like.
    2015 Tuono V4 1100 Factory
    Brembo RCS19 MC, Akrapovic Exhaust, GRT ECU, DNA filter, Lightech levers, rear-sets & chain adjusters, Evotech tail-tidy, Evotech fork & swingarm sliders, Cox Racing Rad Guard & Aprilia Factory Forged Alloys.

    2012 Tuono V4 APRC Fast
    Black.... Sold
    Yamaha MT-10 SP... sold, boring Jap appliance.


  2. #77
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    1,001
    Lets all get along guys...options for these somewhat limited production bikes is a good thing and everyone is old enough to make their own decisions. The OFT was not available when I did my exhaust so I had to get the race ECU but I certainly would have went the OFT route for simplicity's sake. I used it on my friends brand new 17 Tuono Factory yesterday and it was very easy and straight forward....although I did have to email Shiv the current tune file and wait for the modded files to be sent back. My buddies Factory I am sure had an old flash on it from the factory so the OFT did not recognize it and generate the tune files on the spot. Good thing it was Minus fricking 9 degrees (Farenheit) this morning, lol.

  3. #78
    apriliaforum expert Gabro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Roma, Caput Mundi
    Posts
    4,417
    so why do not update your friend old file with a newer (better) one?

    and what will happen when your friend will take his bike to a dealer, and dealer will update his openflashed ECU?
    ECU tuning and reflashes since 2004!
    www.gabroracingteam.it


    Visit my FB page and like it!
    https://www.facebook.com/gabroracingteam



  4. #79
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    1,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabro View Post
    so why do not update your friend old file with a newer (better) one?

    and what will happen when your friend will take his bike to a dealer, and dealer will update his openflashed ECU?
    Well, The OFT tune files I get back will be based on the latest Aprilia tune files I would assume. As far as the dealer goes, my friend will never let our dealer touch his bike short of needing a new engine. I guess he could reflash back to the stock file in about 12 minutes if he had to. That is part of the dilemna though and one reason I went with the Aprilia Race ECU and the Akra. I don't want any warranty issues.

    Gabro, I would also assume even with one of your ECU's, a person would be in a similar situation where the stock ECU would have to be put back in for warranty reasons. With the OFT that can be done in minutes, including the Throttle and handle learning etc..

  5. #80
    apriliaforum expert Gabro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Roma, Caput Mundi
    Posts
    4,417
    reverting to stock map is useless in terms of keeping warranty alive becouse dealer can still see ecu has been previousely flashed by any 3rd party tool, being it mine or tablet
    ECU tuning and reflashes since 2004!
    www.gabroracingteam.it


    Visit my FB page and like it!
    https://www.facebook.com/gabroracingteam



  6. #81
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    1,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabro View Post
    reverting to stock map is useless in terms of keeping warranty alive becouse dealer can still see ecu has been previousely flashed by any 3rd party tool, being it mine or tablet

    Well, Then I guess he better hope he has no issues, lol.

  7. #82
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Danville, CA
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabro View Post
    so why do not update your friend old file with a newer (better) one?

    and what will happen when your friend will take his bike to a dealer, and dealer will update his openflashed ECU?
    Let me explain how the OFT works when it is first installed. When it reads the original calibration off the ECU, it attempts to find a matching .bin that I preload into it's stock file database. Once it matches the file, it then generates compatible tune files. These tune files aren't based upon the original file. Instead, they are based off of the most recent Race ECU calibrations I have. If the OFT doesn't recognize the original cal (say, it's an old sw version that I have not seen before OR the ECU cal has already been modified by another tuner), no tune files will be generated. In those cases, the OFT will instruct the user to email us for the newest version of our tune files.

    As for dealership updates, as long as the customer flashes the ECU with original file prior to dropping it off (which we clearly recommend in the associated Read Me file), the device can be erased and re-installed on the newly updated ECU. So dealership updates are inconsequential.
    In the Garage:
    2018 Panigale V4 S (coming soon!)
    2017 Tuono Factory
    2016 KTM RC390
    2015 KTM 1290 Superduke R
    2014 RSV4 R
    2011 Ferrari 458
    2013 Scion FR-S
    2016 AMG GT S
    2016 Mazda MX5
    2016 Mazda CX5
    2017 Charger Hellcat
    OpenFlash Tablet
    Free Tunes || 3-Touch Programming || Digital Gauge Displays || Datalogging || Handheld Convenience || No Laptop Required

  8. #83
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Danville, CA
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by PRC001 View Post
    Of course you can point out what you perceive to be limitations. But, it appears, you seem hell bent on targeting one person in particular with whom you seem to have a real problem. Get over yourself! The world is big enough for all sorts to play in... people will make their choice and pay their money according to what they see fit for their purpose and budget.

    In the context of what was being discussed above, you seem to have just focused on a few words rather than taking the whole into account.

    In the scheme of things, you've been around for 5 minutes. So move along now, put your ego back in the box and stop taking offence at every little thing that gets said that you don't like.
    Could you please specify exactly what I said that got you upset? Please quote me because your description of the situation doesn't seem to match with what I've read or posted. I think I've been quite fair with my statements.
    In the Garage:
    2018 Panigale V4 S (coming soon!)
    2017 Tuono Factory
    2016 KTM RC390
    2015 KTM 1290 Superduke R
    2014 RSV4 R
    2011 Ferrari 458
    2013 Scion FR-S
    2016 AMG GT S
    2016 Mazda MX5
    2016 Mazda CX5
    2017 Charger Hellcat
    OpenFlash Tablet
    Free Tunes || 3-Touch Programming || Digital Gauge Displays || Datalogging || Handheld Convenience || No Laptop Required

  9. #84
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    1,001
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenFlash View Post
    Let me explain how the OFT works when it is first installed. When it reads the original calibration off the ECU, it attempts to find a matching .bin that I preload into it's stock file database. Once it matches the file, it then generates compatible tune files. These tune files aren't based upon the original file. Instead, they are based off of the most recent Race ECU calibrations I have. If the OFT doesn't recognize the original cal (say, it's an old sw version that I have not seen before OR the ECU cal has already been modified by another tuner), no tune files will be generated. In those cases, the OFT will instruct the user to email us for the newest version of our tune files.

    As for dealership updates, as long as the customer flashes the ECU with original file prior to dropping it off (which we clearly recommend in the associated Read Me file), the device can be erased and re-installed on the newly updated ECU. So dealership updates are inconsequential.

    It really is slick and I look forward to getting the tune files that I requested yesterday! I just wish somebody would come out with a servo eliminator for the 17 so that IF you need to go back to the stock flash, you won't get the resulting check engine because we yanked the flapper junk off the bike.....

  10. #85
    apriliaforum expert Markey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Swansea UK
    Posts
    1,040
    Quote Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
    It really is slick and I look forward to getting the tune files that I requested yesterday!
    Shiv has around 200 emails to answer too (including my GT) as he's been off for a few weeks....be patient friend

  11. #86
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Danville, CA
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by Markey View Post
    Shiv has around 200 emails to answer too (including my GT) as he's been off for a few weeks....be patient friend
    I'm up to Jan 1st emails already. Still a couple more days to go before I'm truly caught up. But if you think i've missed your email, please PM me and tell me your name and email address so i can investigate
    In the Garage:
    2018 Panigale V4 S (coming soon!)
    2017 Tuono Factory
    2016 KTM RC390
    2015 KTM 1290 Superduke R
    2014 RSV4 R
    2011 Ferrari 458
    2013 Scion FR-S
    2016 AMG GT S
    2016 Mazda MX5
    2016 Mazda CX5
    2017 Charger Hellcat
    OpenFlash Tablet
    Free Tunes || 3-Touch Programming || Digital Gauge Displays || Datalogging || Handheld Convenience || No Laptop Required

  12. #87
    apriliaforum newb
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabro View Post
    pair is disabled.

    lambda and ex valve do not
    Hi,
    Just to make sure I clearly understood. PAIR solenoid doesn't need to be desconnected. Correct?
    I run race ECU with decat Akra slip on and during engine braking the exhaust pop quite a lot, which is nice but maybe not correct. So I was wondering if the race ecu allows to remove the PAIR but still actuate it (like the exhaust flapper) or not

    Just want to double check.

  13. #88
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    1,001
    The race ECU disables the pair solenoid. Yours may be not closed fully if your decel popping is excessive but for the record mine popped some too. You can choose to remove it without consequence with the Race ECU or Aprilia Race map....

  14. #89
    apriliaforum newb
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    29
    Great, thanks for your answer

  15. #90
    apriliaforum expert Gabro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Roma, Caput Mundi
    Posts
    4,417
    exhaust popping on race map is the engine brake control. in this video you can ear my race bike popping even exhagereted due to the different fuel cut-off logic i use in my ecu flash:

    ECU tuning and reflashes since 2004!
    www.gabroracingteam.it


    Visit my FB page and like it!
    https://www.facebook.com/gabroracingteam



Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-18-2015, 08:43 AM
  2. What does the derestricioning of the ECU actually do?
    By Frei in forum Scarabeo 50 Ditech, SR 50 Ditech, SR Factory
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-28-2007, 03:34 PM
  3. what does the rs sound like
    By ohaire in forum RS125 Euro-archive
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-26-2005, 06:02 AM
  4. What does the warning mean?
    By Italibikefreak in forum RSVR and RSVR Factory (2004-2009)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 03:34 AM
  5. What does the word falco mean?
    By Suratte in forum SL1000 Falco Forum (all years)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-16-2003, 11:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •