Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What does the RACE ECU change?

What does the RACE ECU change?

So, I'll be purchasing a RACE ECU in the next odd months, as I've heard nothing about a Gabro ECU for the 1100s. (Even if he did offer his services I'd imagine he'd just modify the RACE.)

However, I can find no specifics on what it does.

I know it...

• Makes the bike feel faster at lower throttle openings
    • Turns the flapper valve open (once in gear?) and stays there.
    • Makes it so removing the flapper valve doesn't throw a warning
    • Costs $800 and needs installed at the dealer
    • Permits aftermarket exhausts (Black Comp Werkes in my future)

Things I've heard...

• Changes the parameters of traction control. Something about Stock ECU level 4 TC is like Race ECU level 8 TC, that is to say less restrictive. (Not a fan of this, as I do get caught in the rain, and like my Level 8, but whatever...)

Anything else? Any documentation? Alters wheelie control parameters? ABS parameters?

Thanks.

Yeah I've been never seen (idk why) an actual comprehensive complete list of EVERYTHING the ECU changes and what you can take off and what it disables.

What i DO know is that. It

Keeps the flapper valve open (always) so just take it off.
    Disables the lamda or O2 sensor.
    Adjusts your fuel mapping for aftermarket pipes.

What I want to know is.

How EXACTLY it affects the RBW mapping and how different it is.
    What kind of power increases they're are.

You do not need a dealer to install the ECU. If you buy the cables and download GuzziDiag then you can do the throttle learning yourself.

I just want want to know when AF1 will be able to do a reflash with your stock ECU. When I inquired about a full AKRO exhaust with the codes I asked if I can send my ECU and have them upload the codes and they said yes so they have the ability to do this I just wish it could be a separate service. It's possible to do so with the 1000's. Why not the 1100's.

it just seems crazy to spend $800 on something that doesn't do too much more than a power commander.
    "Millionth of your name. Queen of nothing"

AF1 will install race map in your ECU $300....I got it...hang on ...it will put smile on your face

Quote Originally Posted by uksparky View Post
    AF1 will install race map in your ECU $300....I got it...hang on ...it will put smile on your face
    I don't believe this service is offered on the 1100 yet. Just put my Graves can on my 1000 and looking forwards to getting my ECU mapped by AF1 as my b-day present to myself in a few weeks.

Only 1000 models ..i am sure AF1 will get to the 1100s soon

Do you have the map 6404BD51; latest stock map?
    I think the stock runs pretty good with the latest map.
    Kind of pricey for the race map and slip on. No top end hp gain, but more
    mid range and little smoother fueling overall IMO.
    2017 Sherco 300 SER Factory
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory
    2015 TREK 7.3

Can somewhat comment with definitive first hand knowledge to the OP's question whether the Race ECU changes the traction control. I'm with him in that I'd prefer to have level 8 for those times when I'm out in the rain.

Also, when we're discussing "Race ECU" is this the same as what you get with the factory unlock code when you by an Akrapovic exhaust?

Can you tune the race ecu on the dyno the way you want? Can you connect a USB cable to it?
    2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory
    2000 Ford E350 7.3L Motovan

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    never seen any documentation or road feedback that TC changes levels. The different RACE ECU from Corse for the 2016 RSV4 does change TC for race use.

the R, S, T riding modes all change

ignition timing also changes on race mapping / ecu

secondary air solenod can be fully removed with RACE mapping/ECU

same exact thing RACE ECU vs Unlocked ECU from the Akra code. Same mapping, same end result.

a race ecu is simply an unlocked stock ECU that has been preloaded at Aprilia with RACE mapping. Loading stock mapping over race mapping will relock a RACE ECU (DO NOT DO!!!)

As far as we know, we are the only dealer that sells the RACE ecus setup for DIY install with GuzziDIAG. ABS, APRC, and QS need to be turned on/off to match your bike, and GuzziDIAG cannot do this. We plug in before they ship and set them up.

We cannot flash the 2016 ECUs (2016 RSV4 or Tuono 1100)....they run new ECU hardware....we're still searching for a way.

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 225 View Post
    Can you tune the race ecu on the dyno the way you want? Can you connect a USB cable to it?
    not tunable....no USB

Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    never seen any documentation or road feedback that TC changes levels. The different RACE ECU from Corse for the 2016 RSV4 does change TC for race use.

the R, S, T riding modes all change

ignition timing also changes on race mapping / ecu

secondary air solenod can be fully removed with RACE mapping/ECU

same exact thing RACE ECU vs Unlocked ECU from the Akra code. Same mapping, same end result.

a race ecu is simply an unlocked stock ECU that has been preloaded at Aprilia with RACE mapping. Loading stock mapping over race mapping will relock a RACE ECU (DO NOT DO!!!)

As far as we know, we are the only dealer that sells the RCE ecus setup for DIY install with GuzziDIAG. ABS, APRC, and QS need to be turned on/off to match your bike, and GuzziDIAG cannot do this. We plug in before they ship and set them up.

We cannot flash the 2016 ECUs (2016 RSV4 or Tuono 1100)....they run new ECU hardware....we're still searching for a way.
    Thank you. Glad that TC doesn't change. Will probably still get the Race ECU, even with the latest stock map I have. (Slip on plus the things you just mentioned is too tempting...) Shame that I can't send a stock ECU to be loaded up or that Gabro is MIA with his modified ECU. Oh well.

apriliaforum Member
    Noticed something with my Race ECU. When you put the bike in gear with it running, the flapper valve in the exhaust goes to full open. I new this and thought this only happened when you put the bike in gear. Recently I started the bike in my yard and as I was rolling it backwards out of the yard the flapper went to full open. Tried rolling the bike forward and backward in neutral several times and sure enough the exhaust note changes from quiet to loud.
    Just an interesting but useless piece of trivia for you guys

apriliaforum Junkie
    flapper valve is controlled by wheels sensor speeds it still opens and closes via race ecu

also the abs should be left ON for all bikes, regardless if you dont have a ABS bike you can turn it off in the dash, this way if you need to resell it, your not missing the audience who doesnt have abs on their bikes

i have a abs enabled race ecu on a 2012, disabled abs via the menu, no fault codes or errors for last 2k miles

TC level threesolds are the same std/race ECU... but i don't know if the firmware uses 'em in different fashion.

yes, ex-valve open as soon as you put the bike on gear OR ecu sees any speed at the wheels.
    ECU tuning and reflashes since 2004!
    www.gabroracingteam.it

Visit my FB page and like it!
    https://www.facebook.com/gabroracingteam

"What does it change" Facial expressions make mine smile more
    The original Blue and White!
    Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast