Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Won't Start Intermitantly

apriliaforum newb

Won't Start Intermitantly

Hi,
    I have a Travel Pack 2015 and almost from new I have had this problem in one form or another.
    After being out on the road if I stop for a few minutes the bike won't start, the electrics fire up and the starter works. The engine turns over and it may try and start but splutters out. It doesn't matter if I keep trying to get it going it just refuses to start. Every time though if I wait 5 minutes she will start, this doesn't happen every time but is getting more frequent.
    When I take the bike in they look her over and usually do something with the engine map and charge me. I'm getting really annoyed with this as it never fixes the issue and I shouldn't be charged for a warranty issue right?
    The history is the first engine map was put in to stop the engine running badly at lower speeds, this caused the bike to stall at take off or low speeds. Quite dangerous as it had the affect of stopping the bike instantly due to engine braking. To fix this problem supposedly the old engine map was put in again and an ABS fault fixed. This fixed the stalling but the "not starting" problem has persisted.
    It seems like a sensor and no fuel getting to the engine to me but of course I don't know what the problem is. Any help, what to check or a fix would be greatly appreciated.
    Supposedly all the recall stuff has been checked or fixed as well but at a 150km round trip and a wasted day to have her checked I'm really over the the not being fixed part.

Thanks Dave

Dave - this is pretty well documented. I recently picked up a 2015 TP and have the same issues. Just got back from 800+ mile trip and it happened couple times. Consensus of the guys who have had them longer is its not a fatal flaw and seems to be 'compression lock'. Seems the starter is not geared properly. RSVs and Tuonos have it much worse, many of those guys have gone with a HICAP cable set from Motoelectric which seems to help. Search their forum for details. I have thought about that upgrade but is $150 and some fettling time, so I'm going to see how big a problem it really is before I commit. So it's a PITA. Esp. since my 2009 Mana which is an 850 L twin never had an issue like that.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

Current: 2015 Caponord, 2015 Moto Guzzi V7 Special
    Gone: 2009 Aprilia Mana 850,
    2001 Aprilia Scarabeo 50,
    2002 Futura

apriliaforum newb
    Hi wthammond,
    thank you so much for taking the time out to reply to my post. I have read a number of the related threads and I think this particular problem is different than the compression lock. That does happen to me from time to time but the symptoms are different I think. When that happens to me the bike doesn't turn over and acts like I have a flat battery, rest from the start button and try again and she's away.
    This problem is the starter motor turning freely, the engine is turning over but it won't start up, she will splutter sometimes and cut out like there's no fuel getting through and doesn't seem to be flooded either because I can't smell any fuel. When this happens its pointless trying to start her up as the starter and engine turn over with no problems. Currently if I wait 5 minutes and start again she's away again. Its really annoying at a gas station or those times you stop the engine to talk to a mate and there's always the nag that its not going to fire up one of these days and leave me stranded.
    Cheers Dave

Got it, the second problem you describe does sound different. Haven't had that experience though have had some sputtering occasionally but she always seems to catch. I am comforted in that I have AF1 within reasonable drive, not sure what your dealership situation is. Hopefully some of the more experienced owners will have some wisdom to share.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

2002 Futura

apriliaforum prov-nov
    One time at month I have the same problem,,,
    started motor? fuel pump?

I d'ont know

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hi all

I read earlier that it might also be because of the way you turn off the bike.

If you turn off the bike with the key only the engine might stop at a wrong spot on the stroke and have trouble starting again but if you turn it off with the red switch on your right handle the computer stops the engine at the correct position.

Personally I always stop it first with the red switch then turn the key when engine if off and I never experienced the no restart problem.

I hope it helps.
    2015 Caponord White TP
    Heated grips, Gel seat, Givi Screen, Aprilia Top Box, GPR Exhaust, ESE Healtech, RAM Phone mount

apriliaforum Member coolonthecoast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbertrand514 View Post
    Hi all

If you turn off the bike with the key only the engine might stop at a wrong spot on the stroke and have trouble starting again but if you turn it off with the red switch on your right handle the computer stops the engine at the correct position.

Personally I always stop it first with the red switch then turn the key when engine if off and I never experienced the no restart problem.

I hope it helps.
    You learn something new everyday, I certainly never knew that. Thanks mate
    1200 Capo Travel Pack and a '85 Honda VF1000RF.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    That is odd. The dealer already replaced my right hand switch assemblybecause the starter/kill switch was hanging up, and recommended to me that i should stop the bike with the key now instead...???

Interesting. I've always turned my bikes off with the key. Somehow in my little pea brain the 'kill' switch was for emergency use only so I've never used it regularly. I've decided to live with the key method on the Capo despite the occasional hot start issue due to the fact others reported issues using the start/kill switch.

2002 Futura

apriliaforum expert
    Hi all

I hope it helps.
    I always turned mine off with the key and never had an issue in over 2 years and 18,000klms. I do the same with all my bikes and never seen this once in 27 years of riding.

apriliaforum expert
    The only situation where this may have some effect is if there is an intermittent fault with the kill switch. I cannot imagine stopping the engine with the key or kill switch would have any effect on where in the 4 stroke cycle the engine comes to rest.
    I have been riding for over 40 years and never been told to routinely use the kill switch, it's provided for emergency use as far as I know. Having said that I think Ducati have an unusual combined kill / starter switch but I can't remember exactly how it works now.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by RSTman View Post
    The only situation where this may have some effect is if there is an intermittent fault with the kill switch. I cannot imagine stopping the engine with the key or kill switch would have any effect on where in the 4 stroke cycle the engine comes to rest.
    I have been riding for over 40 years and never been told to routinely use the kill switch, it's provided for emergency use as far as I know. Having said that I think Ducati have an unusual combined kill / starter switch but I can't remember exactly how it works now.
    Of course it wouldn't because it's not true

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I didn't say I held the mighty truth here....

I just said I read it somewhere and that is what I choose to apply.

Now if you want to use the key instead of the killswitch then be my guest.

True or not I have noticed sometimes a small (fraction of a second) delay for engine stop when using the kill switch. That might be the computer making sure to stop the engine at the right time to start again after ??? Who knows ???
    2015 Caponord White TP
    Heated grips, Gel seat, Givi Screen, Aprilia Top Box, GPR Exhaust, ESE Healtech, RAM Phone mount

apriliaforum Member coolonthecoast's Avatar

True or not I have noticed sometimes a small (fraction of a second) delay for engine stop when using the kill switch. That might be the computer making sure to stop the engine at the right time to start again after ??? Who knows ???

I've noticed this too.
    1200 Capo Travel Pack and a '85 Honda VF1000RF.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Any ideas

I cleaned the started motor, switch/kill,,,,,,,

https://youtu.be/d-btjv4iRNk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast