Thread: Problems with an Axone 2000

apriliaforum prov-nov Kennibear's Avatar

Problems with an Axone 2000

Bought a used Aprilia labeled Axone 2000 off Ebay with all the connectors and OBD, ACQ, and Modem modules. I put the unit on the wall charger overnight and in the morning it started beeping while I was elsewhere in the house. Others in the house became irritated with the beep and turned the unit on with the wall charger attached to silence the beep. Nothing happens when the power button is now pressed.
    I have no experience with the Axone so I read the manual three times before it even got here. There is a warning not to turn the unit on while charging or run it from the wall charger. Did turning it on while plugged in damage the unit? Is there a recovery procedure if it is damaged?
    Also the manual mentions entering a code to activate software. Does that marry the module/software to that specific Axone unit? Can the Modules be used on another Axone 2000 unit without the activation code? If the unit is toast I have considered picking up another and using the existing modules.
    I wanted the unit fully charged before turning it on for the first time but was unaware of any sound alarm/notification of a charged battery. I also attached a cable with the 12V battery clamps and attached to a fully charged spare Capo battery and it does not respond to the on/off button.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Kennibear

Sounds like the Axone just wasn't designed for real-world use, doesn't it? I loathe those situations when device manufacturers push hard for their new device, while dropping support for the old units.

Let's face it, just what does that do for marketing your new machines? They just tanked the value of the new ones in one action.

Aw hell, what can it hurt? I would call them and see if anyone can help you.

Of all the test equipment I've used in the field, all of them will operate with the AC adaptor connected. In fact, when transferring firmware to a control module, they usually require that the unit is NOT running solely on battery power as a precaution.

Regarding its dependency upon the built-in battery, I would bet that there is a problem with the battery itself. What could be happening is that the battery is toast and the power supply is struggling to feed it, or the charger simply will not charge if it sees a dead battery below the minimum voltage. In this case, the system will not power up. If this Axone has been in the field for a while, that battery is most likely old.

Bob

apriliaforum Junkie ResetTheConsole's Avatar
    I've had mine powered on while connected to wall power plenty of times...didn't know I wasn't allowed

I got it off ebay for real cheap, very little instruction and even less guarantee that it worked.

Pop the battery cover off and put a volt meter to the battery. Maybe the battery was overcharged and damaged. It's easily removable, finding a replacement might not be.

I really doubt you'll get any support from Texa (even less likely from Aprilia). I had to build my own battery cable for mine, Texa didn't want to ship one outside of Italy, maybe the EU.

One local Axone owner did mention that it should be always powered ( not let the battery drain), otherwise you must run all the programs in.

I did wait 3 months that hassle to open ........ but got my ECU mapped with other contact.
    I'm a (triathlo)nist, that's why I've joined A(prilia) & A(udi) club.

With AC charger disconnected and unit connected to bike battery, press and hold the power button for a few seconds, then release. If it doesn't beep and light up, it's probably fried....as the instructions clearly state will happen if the unit is turned on while charging from the AC adapter. Too bad you decided to charge it from AC, as the batteries don't run long enough to accomplish much anyway, and connecting to the bike battery will charge the internal batteries as you work. FYI, I leave mine plugged in all the time just to keep the batteries in good shape, and the unit never beeps to signal a full charge.

Your modules will work with another Axone 2000, but any other you buy will likely have its own modules. You don't need the modem module unless you need to get updates from Aprilia...not happening. The first owner had to do the registration, and it doesn't need to be done again. But even so, you'd need the unit turned on to do anything, so registration is the least of your problems.

Quote Originally Posted by steelman_2 View Post
    One local Axone owner did mention that it should be always powered ( not let the battery drain), otherwise you must run all the programs in.
    That's incorrect. The program files are non-volatile.

Ok, Kenni. How are things going? Problem corrected?
    Once you go track, you don't go back!
    Just say "no" to going ghetto!

apriliaforum prov-nov Kennibear's Avatar
    The original seller was a stand up guy and refunded my money. Will definitely do buissness with him again. I am looking at a tunecu setup but not sure of the connectors availible on ebay. Would like to have some input for here on a top quality set ready to plug and play. Have been chasing coil gremlins lately so no time to order just yet. Will have something for tunecu on the way next week. Have pads & disk for the rear brake coming, new set of plug wires & 2 new coils here and am going to order Magnecor wires today but they are not on line. Will star a new thread on the coil bugs. Also adding a bunch of LED brake lights to the rear. Another thread w/ pics on that. When I hit the brakes I want to invoke fear in those that follow.....

KB

Very good. Stay on it!
    Once you go track, you don't go back!
    Just say "no" to going ghetto!