Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Club Racing my 16 RR

apriliaforum newb
    I just read all 8 pages of this post, great progress!

Lots of great tips and info here!

apriliaforum Junkie aftriathlete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
    I just read all 8 pages of this post, great progress!

Lots of great tips and info here!
    Hey thanks man! I write it kind of out of necessity somewhat because this is the only place I keep a race log. But it wouldnít be much fun for me if no one was reading it, it would just be work, so Iím glad some people are getting some useful info, or maybe some entertainment out of it.

Itís looking to be about 75 degrees at Chuckwalla on Sunday, so it should be a great day. Clockwise is by far my weaker direction, and unfortunately again Iím not gonna get a ton of practice, just the two ten-minute sessions Sunday morning. But with the good weather my goal for the weekend is to hit a 1:54.9 again like I did last round going the direction I was much stronger in.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

apriliaforum newb
    Many of us are jealous, we wont see an open track until May 2018... Painfull!

Your going to have a great weekend!

Cheers!

Well gents, it pains me to post up one of those posts that could be chalked up to “it’s racing, shit happens,” especially considering how long it’s been since my last “shit happens” incident and this being my first ever “shit happens” kind of weekend on this bike. But that’s where I am.

Got to the track Saturday afternoon in time to get registered and tech’d, and I got ready for the second to last race of the day, Supersport Open. I figured I could use the laps as practice on last round’s race tires to get me reacquainted with the track going clockwise, which if you remember from back in September is by far my weaker direction here. The grids were MASSIVE, expert and amateur classes had to be split into two completely separate races — there was almost 50 ULW experts in one race! Maybe related but maybe not, but there were an extraordinary amount of crashes Saturday, and every race from I think Race 5 thru Race 13 was shortened from 6 laps to 4 to try to beat the sunset. So I was in Race 12, gridded #30/31 because I missed qualifying, though it turned out only 22 actually lined up to start. Takeoffs, cold track as the sun is setting, and Im in the back. This all added up to a good race for me — I had a monster start and got up from 22nd of the starters to 18th, I had a lot of dudes to chase, and I battled at a comfortable pace with a few dudes in the 1:58s for the first 3 laps, then got a couple good passing opportunities in the 4th and final lap to go from 19th to 16th with a 1:55.9 last lap. That’s 3 sec faster than my 1:58.7 best lap back in September, on takeoffs, so I think it’s gonna be a good weekend.

Sunday morning, I get about 3 or 4 laps in each of the warmup sessions, generally feeling out of sorts. It got down to 49 overnight and the track is still only about 55, so I’m being tentative and the suspension is cold. Overall, not great practice. I put on fresh SC1s. I’m in Race 2, Supersport Open, again as well as the Shootout, Race 7. By the time I grid up for SS Open at about 1030 the sun hasn’t been directly on the track yet due to hazy clouds, so track temp is only about 70 and air temp only about 63. I’m gridded #28/29, but functionally I’m #25 of the 25 that actually lined up. Another monster start, and I’m in 19th at the end of the first lap. The pack was so large it was a bit of a dicey parade lap in 2:04. Second lap I get a little more open track and some guys to chase and I run a 1:56.4, passing a guy on the brakes into the T1/T2 left right chicane that opens onto a short straight. That’s where the inevitable happened. I was deeper into the turn due to the pass on the brakes, and I was off my line. So, more lean angle. I rolled on the throttle as I had all the laps before, but my tires were not up to temp, and I was asking too much. In the quarter of a second that the rear slid out all I thought was “oh man that’s a lot more slide than usual” and then the tire hooked back up, launching me into orbit to Planet High-Side. I hit the asphalt on my right elbow and right hip, and my back and back of helmet quickly follows. When I came to a rest in the dirt I immediately popped up, ran over to the bike and shut off the key (though the bike was no longer running), and after I looked to make sure there was no incoming traffic I picked the bike up and pushed it away from the track. First high side ever for me. Crash truck grabs me and the bike, and considering they saw me impact they take me straight to the medics. My right hip is killing me, but it appears to just be a big contusion/hematoma. I hope, anyways. My old non-fitted Arlen Ness suit did not protect my elbow as it should have though, and I have a hole above the point of my elbow about a half inch across and all the way down to the muscle fascia. For that matter there was no armor or padding over my hip either, so not only a plug for good gear, but good gear that fits. (I ordered a custom Alien Moto suit 8 weeks ago that really would have come in handy this weekend.) They rinse me off, wrap it up, and I put the bike straight in the trailer and packed up to head home. Stopped at the Doc on my way back into town and got 3 stitches put in it, and as Sunday night wore on I realized I had both a very minor concussion as well as CRAZY whiplash in the front of my neck.

Got the bike out of the trailer on Monday to survey the damage, and to my surprise it doesn’t look terrible. It doesn’t look good, but the bike apparently did not tumble and just stayed on its right side throughout the ordeal. So the fairings are damaged and scratched and the tail and tank cover are worn all the way through, but the Graves slider did it’s job and the Woodcraft parts crashed basically perfectly. So I’ll be replacing my slip-on as the Hindle can is proper smashed and the mid pipe is bent towards the swingarm; a footpeg; a clip on; a frame slider puck; CRG brake lever; the throttle cable front side U-bolt; bar-end slider; and I expect I’ll order some tank sliders to try to cover the hole through the tank cover that wore down into the tank. Plus a helmet, as my 3-round-old Arai Corsair X did its job admirably. I already found a good deal through riders discount on a Bell Star Race Carbon to get me back out on track for as cheap as reasonably possible.

This high-side shit is for the birds, I could do without ever doing that again. But as the saying goes, shit happens when racing. So all things considered I, and my bike, seem to have faired decently. Definitely could have been worse anyway. I’m guessing I avoided any major component damage on the bike, but im still gonna get it checked out and measured here at ESP after I get it all pieced back together.

Hoping to be back and ready to go by the next round Jan 20th!
    Last edited by aftriathlete; 12-05-2017 at 07:27 PM.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Nice write up. Glad to hear you're doing okay. You're right, high sides are the worst. Heal fast!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Pete

apriliaforum Member
    Glad your ok! Just curious were you running with the TC on? I really want to take my rsv4 to the track but I’m terrified of crashing it and was hoping the tc would help a bit. I raced a 125 gp bike for about 5 years, never highsided it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
    Nice write up. Glad to hear you're doing okay. You're right, high sides are the worst. Heal fast!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Thanks man. I checked the high-side box, hopefully for the only time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gluge View Post
    Glad your ok! Just curious were you running with the TC on? I really want to take my rsv4 to the track but I’m terrified of crashing it and was hoping the tc would help a bit. I raced a 125 gp bike for about 5 years, never highsided it though.
    Thanks man. Yep TC was on. Corse ECU set on TC 2, which is where I keep it. I have many times accidentally changed the settings on track though, I haven’t looked to verify that I didn’t accidentally turn it down to 1. I’m not counting on that though. I don’t even want to think about power cycling the bike til I get it all cleaned up and airbox and air runners cleaned out. Frankly I knew the TC wasn’t idiot-proof though, it’s just a tool that helps. But grabbing a fist full with extra lean angle on a cold track was not wise.
    Last edited by aftriathlete; 12-05-2017 at 08:35 PM.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

apriliaforum Member
    Sounds like you were going well up,to that point. Well done.

as for the high side, not the nicest way to go down, but it sounds like the quality of setup and composantes used saved your bike from more damage.

i wear underArmour running long sleeve top and leggings, I move a little within my leather suite, this has also saved my skin literally as the leather suit moved around a little without pinching up my skin ( theoretically) therefore the suit was not being pulled about during the slide. Ensure a good fit.

anyway a little work to do both on yourself and the bike, when is the next outing?

speedy recovery
    Previous bikes : AR50 - AR80 - CB250N - RD350LC - RGV250 - VT400 - TDR250 - VIRAGO 535 - RF600 - RF900 - CBR600 - GSXR750 - TL1000R - T160 TRIUMPH - R1 - PIAGGIO - R6 - RC30 - 916SPS - VFR800 - 675 DAYTONA - CBR600RR - TL1000R - YZF750 - RSV4 FACTORY.

apriliaforum expert
    Man, that sounds like a scary crash. Glad you're okay and got away with fairly minor injuries, all things considered. I've been following this thread since you started it, and have enjoyed the reports, even this one. It sucks reading about a high side, but we can all learn from your experience, if only to be mindful that while our bikes have good electronics, they aren't perfect. I've been fortunate to not get thrown off (yet? :|), but I've been out of the saddle under similar circumstances a couple times, and was *very* glad to get away with it.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Quote Originally Posted by rsnet View Post
    Sounds like you were going well up,to that point. Well done.

as for the high side, not the nicest way to go down, but it sounds like the quality of setup and composantes used saved your bike from more damage.

i wear underArmour running long sleeve top and leggings, I move a little within my leather suite, this has also saved my skin literally as the leather suit moved around a little without pinching up my skin ( theoretically) therefore the suit was not being pulled about during the slide. Ensure a good fit.

anyway a little work to do both on yourself and the bike, when is the next outing?

speedy recovery
    Thanks man. It’s pointless to think it or say it, but I do think it would have been a good race weekend if not for the big off. Next race round is in about 5-6 weeks, so I have some time to recover and get the bike back in order.

Quote Originally Posted by irix View Post
    Man, that sounds like a scary crash. Glad you're okay and got away with fairly minor injuries, all things considered. I've been following this thread since you started it, and have enjoyed the reports, even this one. It sucks reading about a high side, but we can all learn from your experience, if only to be mindful that while our bikes have good electronics, they aren't perfect. I've been fortunate to not get thrown off (yet? :|), but I've been out of the saddle under similar circumstances a couple times, and was *very* glad to get away with it.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
    It was a good one! Thanks for following my post here man. To be completely honest, I’ve been racing on this bike for almost a year and a half, and I think I got complacent. The electronics have probably saved my ass a few times already from doing something dumb or wrong, and I think it lulled me into false security. And I haven’t been setting records or anything, but the success I’ve been having with constant improvement and progress reinforced the behaviors and habits. I lost respect for the power of the bike, the danger of the sport, and the consequences for not making smart decisions on the track. Hindsight is always 20/20, but I sure do hope I learned a thing or two from this.
    Last edited by aftriathlete; 12-06-2017 at 11:41 PM.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

apriliaforum Member
    By the sounds of the day, light fading and many riders in each round, sprints cut down to 4 laps from 6

all makes up to a rushing situation, you probably didn’t have that one lap margin after the start where you can settle down, breath and evaluate your strategy,

so pushing on sooner was probably what caught you out, maybe due to the number of riders and Vision was hampered and you were slightly off line, who knows, don’t think too much about it

I had a couple of ‘big moments ‘ at the chicane Le Mans, due to worn tyres, new tyres on The first time I approached that chicane I was riding slow and like crap, had the rest of the lap talking to myself to get over it, next lap into, nailed the best line through there, don’t let the off get into your head.

anyways, 5/6 weeks should have you back up and running, speedy recovery
    Previous bikes : AR50 - AR80 - CB250N - RD350LC - RGV250 - VT400 - TDR250 - VIRAGO 535 - RF600 - RF900 - CBR600 - GSXR750 - TL1000R - T160 TRIUMPH - R1 - PIAGGIO - R6 - RC30 - 916SPS - VFR800 - 675 DAYTONA - CBR600RR - TL1000R - YZF750 - RSV4 FACTORY.

Quote Originally Posted by rsnet View Post
    By the sounds of the day, light fading and many riders in each round, sprints cut down to 4 laps from 6

all makes up to a rushing situation, you probably didn’t have that one lap margin after the start where you can settle down, breath and evaluate your strategy,

so pushing on sooner was probably what caught you out, maybe due to the number of riders and Vision was hampered and you were slightly off line, who knows, don’t think too much about it

I had a couple of ‘big moments ‘ at the chicane Le Mans, due to worn tyres, new tyres on The first time I approached that chicane I was riding slow and like crap, had the rest of the lap talking to myself to get over it, next lap into, nailed the best line through there, don’t let the off get into your head.

anyways, 5/6 weeks should have you back up and running, speedy recovery
    Yeah, i know man. I’m not being too hard on myself, I know these things can happen when you’re pushing your limits, of
    course we would all prefer to just gradually, incrementally push our limits in a manner that’s productive and not in such an explosive way like a high side. I don’t feel like my confidence is shaken, I think I’ll be good to go to jump straight back into it next month. I’m guessing the reason my confidence isn’t shaken is because I can make sense of this one, it must be a lot harder for guys that get bit and they can’t figure out why. I know my tires were cold from the slow warmup lap, long grid time, and slow first lap, and I was off my line due to the pass, but i opened the throttle like neither of those conditions existed. So truthfully I feel a lot better about this all now than I did a couple days ago. It still sucks it happened but it could have been a whole lot worse.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Quote Originally Posted by aftriathlete View Post
    Yeah, i know man. I’m not being too hard on myself, I know these things can happen when you’re pushing your limits, of
    course we would all prefer to just gradually, incrementally push our limits in a manner that’s productive and not in such an explosive way like a high side. I don’t feel like my confidence is shaken, I think I’ll be good to go to jump straight back into it next month. I’m guessing the reason my confidence isn’t shaken is because I can make sense of this one, it must be a lot harder for guys that get bit and they can’t figure out why. I know my tires were cold from the slow warmup lap, long grid time, and slow first lap, and I was off my line due to the pass, but i opened the throttle like neither of those conditions existed. So truthfully I feel a lot better about this all now than I did a couple days ago. It still sucks it happened but it could have been a whole lot worse.
    Kudos to you for knowing & admitting your own mistake.
    Sounds like you got a bit greedy with the throttle whilst in a compromised position.
    From the way you're talking, you've learnt from your error in judgement & will handle it differently next time.
    There is a lot to think about when you're racing & good judgement comes from living & learning from your mistakes & your successes.
    Get back, be strong & race smart.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789