Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Club Racing my 16 RR

apriliaforum Junkie aftriathlete's Avatar
    High time to get this thread going again. I got back from deployment last month, but it was just in time for the summer racing break in the Southwest. My first race weekend back will be Labor Day weekend at Arroyo, but I'm committing my resources to CVMA this winter season, so the September ASMA round might be the only ASMA round that I make for the foreseeable future. CVMA Round 1 is Sept 23-24, so that's where I'll really be throwing myself into the Expert Superbike deep end to see how I can fare over a whole season. I'm hoping finish consistency goes a long way!

Making a couple off-season changes/upgrades to the bike before my first track day back on August 20th at Arroyo: a Pro-Shift clutchless downshift system -- I've never heard a bad word about Pro-Shift other than the price to purchase, so I took advantage of their racer discount and the advantageous USD-to-GBP exchange rate a few months ago to pick one of these up; a BMC air filter, considering it's basically the same cost as an OEM filter ($78 for the OEM paper filter!); and going to dump U4.4 in it and put it on the dyno and see what happens. Not an upgrade exactly, but before I spend the money on a Rapidbike system I want to see what the Corse ECU does with oxygenated race gas and a higher flow air filter -- considering the Race/Corse ECUs run rich, I'm wondering if those two things combined will actually lean the mixture out some and make good hp gains. In addition to that, starting the season with a fresh bike all around -- got the valves checked before the deployment zero miles ago, and even though I only have about 4 race rounds on the suspension I'm getting the suspension refreshed as well.

So first track day back on the horse will be Aug 20-21. I swapped the CRF150F I had for a KX100 to do some fun dirt riding between now and then. Just the hour I got out on it this past weekend left me a little sore, so it's definitely great training both physically and mentally, I don't know a safer way to explore the limits of traction than on a small dirt bike, and keeping it small, for me, keeps me sane. If I had a big dirt bike I would try to do big dirt bike things, and it probably wouldn't end well.

I'll post up what the bike makes on the new before and after dyno runs -- I'm wondering if it makes a little more on the dyno on pump gas anyways considering the 179.X it made last summer was a brand new bike just broken in.
    Last edited by aftriathlete; 07-19-2017 at 09:45 PM.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

apriliaforum Member
    Cool, let me know how the pro-shift works.

Well going back and reading my last post is a bit amusing at this point, because back on August 2nd I fractured my ankle riding that little dirt bike! Thought it was just a bad sprain for the two days I was limping around on it before seeing a doc. Knock on wood as I'm not 100% out of the woods yet, but I'm very lucky to have avoided surgery as the Doc said 9 people out of 10 with my specific injury need plates and screws, but I'm that lucky guy with the fracture that didn't displace at all, the broken piece stayed in place. So with that, I haven't yet made any of the events in the last month I had planned, and I'm 10 months now since I last turned a wheel in anger. Coming up on 6 weeks since the injury this Saturday, and I got out of my walking boot on Monday, so I'll be making the decision by this Sunday if I'm going to press with kicking off the race season at CVMA Round 1 at Chuck next weekend. I am signed up for the Friday track day, so I'm debating going to that, see how it feels and wait to sign up for any of the Saturday races until after I test things out.

ESP still has my bike, they are refreshing the suspension, fresh fluids all around, and installing the Pro-Shift DBS kit, but I told them to hold off on the race gas test as the extra couple hp's are going to be lost on a guy that hasn't ridden on track in 10 months anyways. On the plus side, if there is a plus side to injuries like this, is that I've been riding the Assault/Airdyne bike every day for the last 3 weeks, so surprisingly I think my race fitness is going to be quite good, just Need to get the strength and range of motion back in my ankle now. More to follow in the next few days!
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Mod squad, can you guys move this thread over to the Club Racing/Privateer Racing section? I think there was a lot of initial interest last year with the setup info and the RR/RF bikes still being relatively new, but I think people are more interested in the 17s now.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

apriliaforum Junkie
    I tend to differ, i've got a 12 and like reading about all of them here.

apriliaforum Member
    If this topic moves I will follow it.
    I'm also not on the 17 model, track only and once campaigned a 675, so I relate a lot to your comments.
    i tend to spend more time in the racing section anyway, as blue bar end weights and stubby levers are not my thing.
    Previous bikes : AR50 - AR80 - CB250N - RD350LC - RGV250 - VT400 - TDR250 - VIRAGO 535 - RF600 - RF900 - CBR600 - GSXR750 - TL1000R - T160 TRIUMPH - R1 - PIAGGIO - R6 - RC30 - 916SPS - VFR800 - 675 DAYTONA - CBR600RR - TL1000R - YZF750 - RSV4 FACTORY.

Well it's up to the mod gods then, they can leave it here in the RSV4 section if they wish, i'm cool either way.

It's high time to go racing again, and i'm suiting up for CVMA Round 1 this weekend! I opted out of the Friday track day as it made the long weekend away more palatable for my wife, but I'm hoping to be out there by Friday afternoon as they do a racer-only 1 hour open track at the end of the track day, so if I could get out for 2 15-min sessions at least to shake out some of the cobwebs that would go a long way. Then it will be 2 10 min practices Saturday morning, then a 10 min qualifying session. Two races on Saturday -- Formula Open and Supersport Open, and then I'm just going to race the big money race on Sunday, The Shootout. I haven't decided for sure yet what my plan for tires is -- I have some low lap, 1 race takeoffs that I could use at least for the first race Saturday just to get out there and keep my expectations low, and then maybe go to a fresh front and rear for the last two races with flipping the rear between race 2 and race 3. That's my tentative plan, but I'll play it by ear. ESP is going to at least have my suspension and all fluids refreshed, they said they're going to try to get the blipper installed as well.

I'm really excited to get back out on track after so long, but reading back to last year when this was a new bike to me I definitely need to take a similar approach to this weekend. Stay within my limits, don't worry about the lap times, just be comfortable and get reacquainted with the bike. This will be my first weekend out there in the clockwise direction too, so it's a new track to me, which is all the more reason to ride my own ride and to not get caught up in racing someone else's race. On the huge plus side, weather forecast looks amazing in the 80s -- this round last September the air temp was about 110 deg F!
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

apriliaforum Member
    Hope all goes well, the cobwebs will be gone after the Friday evening session.
    I have a run out this weekend too, it's been a Month since Le Mans and I am sure to be rusty.

funny to hear you say about the compromise for the weekend and to keep your wife happy, my weekends are mostly with the wife, three kids and the dog in the camper, most circuits have wifi and we can pickup most channels on the TV,
    Just don't forget the chargers, my teanagers have phones, plus iPad and computers, leaving me with one free socket for the tyre warmers.

let us know how your weekend goes, stay safe.
    Previous bikes : AR50 - AR80 - CB250N - RD350LC - RGV250 - VT400 - TDR250 - VIRAGO 535 - RF600 - RF900 - CBR600 - GSXR750 - TL1000R - T160 TRIUMPH - R1 - PIAGGIO - R6 - RC30 - 916SPS - VFR800 - 675 DAYTONA - CBR600RR - TL1000R - YZF750 - RSV4 FACTORY.

2017 CVMA Round 1 Report!

Overall, I'm very happy with this weekend. I kept realistic expectations for this round considering a few major factors. It's been almost 11 months since I was last on track due to deployment and injury; this is my first round as an Expert; I've done 6 total days at Chuckwalla going counterclockwise, but never once clockwise; and I'm only out of a boot for the ankle fracture for about 12 days before this weekend. I don't consider those excuses, everyone has excuses and obstacles to getting out on track and going fast. But they were all reasons to be conservative, and ultimately I'm happy that I was. I can only go as fast as my confidence will allow, and really getting trounced in the expert field kept me near the back running my own race and not trying to dice it up too early in the process of getting back on the horse. I also got faster every time I went out on track throughout the weekend, so to me that's a good thing and proof that I stayed within my own limits.

My suspension was freshly rebuilt by Evan Steel Performance, and fresh Motorex oil and brake fluid as well. New Vesrah SS pads, which I've never used before -- ultimately I'm happy with their performance, much more progressive bite than the Ferodos I was running last fall, which I like. The real braking test will be 3 weeks from now at Arroyo Seco, though, as there are some severely hard braking zones there that Chuckwalla just doesn't have as it's a more flowy layout. This is my first weekend questioning my ABS, though, as I just felt this weekend like I wanted more feeling at the lever. I don't know that I'm going to actually delete the ABS or not, but this is the first time I've considered it. And for those wondering how the Pro-Shift DBS blipper system was going to be -- it was freakin awesome! It works great at track RPMs, not quite as good at around-the-pits RPMs, so I got in the habit of just clicking it off when coming off track and clicking it back on when going out (it has a toggle switch mounted at the bar, mine is to the inside of my ATC switch.) But frankly it may not be adjusted 100% perfectly, I haven't personally delved into the instructions yet as I picked up the bike Friday morning from ESP and went straight to the track to ride that afternoon. I found that the higher the RPMs the better and smoother the blip was, but just like any tool you learn its nuances and how it can help you until it just becomes part of subconscious actions. I'm very pleased with the Pro-Shift performance though. It is not so smooth that I would currently consider banging downshifts while at the apex of a turn, it does still upset the bike enough that I still wanted to be off the edge of the tire when I downshift. But again, I'm guessing I don't have the adjustment 100% spot-on, and I've never used a bike with a factory installed blipper, so I don't know that that's something that would be wise even on an OEM system. Basically, it just means that even with the blipper I felt like I needed to be smart and make my downshifts on a fatter part of the tire than just the edge, but that's not much of a problem as accomplishing my downshifts while braking is a habit from using a clutch my whole life anyway.

Friday racer practice, 5 PM. Had an hour of open track just for the racers, and as I missed the track day I took full advantage of this to try to start learning the track. Had one off-track excursion with no drama, and got in somewhere around 18 slow slow laps. Leaving these race takeoffs from last November (Pirelli Diablo SBK SC1s) on for the morning warmup session tomorrow. Best lap something like a 2:07.

Saturday morning practice. Went out for first 10 minute practice -- track surface was only about 72 deg F, so I was very tentative. Best lap something like a 2:05.

Qualifying. Swapped out a fresher set of takeoffs from last September that had 2 6 lap races on them. Did 2 "flying" laps, best lap was a 2:02.9.

Race #1: Supersport Open. Gridded #22/23. Confusion at the start line, and I was actively moving to another grid position when the green flag moved, so off I went. Crossed the line after the first lap in 20th, wound up in 21st by the end of the 6-lap race. Best lap 2:01.4, overall race time 12:36. That was 90 sec slower than the race winner, Aussie Dave Anthony.

Race #2: Formula Open. This is 3 hours later, middle of the afternoon. Track temp is about 122 deg F, and it's about 85 deg air temp with about a 20 mph wind with some blowing dust. Gridded #20/21. 17 actually lined up at the start, and I had a great start. I crossed the line after the first lap in 10th before being gradually picked off by faster riders. I was actually looking right at a guy 3 seconds up the road of me on a RSV4 that crashed going into an uphill right, and I thought his bike was going to wind up on the racing line. The fresh dust cloud I hit kind of shook my confidence as well, and I wound up just ticking off consistent 2:02s the whole race. Wound up finishing 14th, best lap was a 2:02.3, but my race time was 15 seconds faster over the 6 laps than this morning. So I was consistent, which is a good sign that I'm learning the track and not making too many mistakes. Just missing the big jump in outright speed now. I feel for the guy who crashed in front of me, his RF took a pretty good tumble.

Sunday, Race #3: The Shootout. 10 laps. Gridded dead last, #20/20. I found out afterwards that 17 actually started the race. I had another solid start, went into the first turn ahead of about 3 riders. My pace gradually decreased throughout the race with every lap faster than the previous lap, getting down to a 1:58.7 best lap. But yes, I literally got lapped. I got lapped like I was standing still! Aussie Dave caught me first on my 9th lap, then he actually crashed out shortly thereafter, and then Steve Rapp lapped me as well. So I unfortunately didn't get to put in a 10th lap, maybe I could have ticked off another slightly faster lap. Wound up finishing 15th of 15, but hey, that's in the points! (1 point) To try to compare my performance across the 3 races, my first 6 laps of this race was about 3 seconds faster than Formula Open yesterday, and that was with my laps 7-9 being the fastest of the race.

So am I thrilled to finish last? No, of course not. But I honestly am pretty satisfied with this weekend. I have to start somewhere, and frankly, I didn't know if I was going to be able to race at all. I was prepared to sit in the bleachers and watch the racing if my ankle was really not up to the task in the Friday practice. But luckily, my ankle didn't protest. My calf sure was weak as hell though, it's super sore today! Next race round for me is going to be the 1 ASMA round I intend to make this season on Oct 14/15. Then CVMA Round 2 will be two weeks later. In the near term, I'm hoping to get back out on the dirt bike (conservatively), and telework with Pro-Shift to get the DBS adjusted right. Their customer service has been impressive, to say the least, as they offered to have a tech on standby when I first got the system installed and out on the track to provide some real-time assistance with getting it sorted and adjusted, which I did not take advantage of due to time constraints.

2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Oh, and by the way, ESP did wind up running a gallon of U4.4 and a gallon of MR12 through the bike on the dyno. I didn't use race gas this weekend, but it was just for curiosity and possible future use. Nevermind that this base run only made 174 hp -- that gas was sitting in the tank with Sta-Bil in it since last November, so I believe it was not good for maximal power production any more (bike made 179+ on same dyno last year.) But check out that MR12 -- that's a solid 8 hp on a Corse ECU/Hindle slip-on but otherwise stock engine bike! So yeah, if I'm going to futz with race gas in the future, it's going to be MR12. It's nasty, expensive stuff, but you have to take the same precautions with ensuring you drain the tank and run fresh pump gas through it after use that you would with U4, so for the extra $12-15 for a gallon it would be worth the extra 7.5 hp to me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	race gas dyno.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	518.4 KB 
ID:	342941
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Any tuning required? Or can you go back and forth between pump and race?

Does your bike have a Bazzaz or Dynojet module?

Quote Originally Posted by rsv4dave View Post
    Any tuning required? Or can you go back and forth between pump and race?

Does your bike have a Bazzaz or Dynojet module?
    No tuning. That was just dumping the gas in it and making some dyno pulls. So compared to the 179 on fresh pump gas last summer, I got about 8 hp from Mr12 just dumping it in and going. I'm guessing there's more to be had with tuning, but I doubt I will. A Rapidbike is that much more wiring and weight and stuff that can malfunction or get damaged in a track crash. Considering the Corse/Race ECU tends to run rich i'm assuming it made solid power due to the oxygenation of the race gas.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

apriliaforum Member
    Nice, a good solid return anyhow, as I was reading the first part of 90s back I was thinking to myself' Sir Anthony needs another three laps and he's got y'a, Nice you kept him back.

I was out this weekend back to a track that the last time out in worn SC1's I had a moment at the chicane (left -right) after a straight at 270/280 Kph which had me out of the seat and feet off the pegs, in fact I smacked my shin bone on the pegs so hard it took skin off ( nothing like your injury) but what I'm getting to is the fact that when approaching that chicane in the first session I was really like a baby, the confidence takes a while to get back.

take your time, enjoy' the season is almost done, you can get fully fit for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by rsnet View Post
    take your time, enjoy' the season is almost done, you can get fully fit for next year.
    The CVMA series is in the southern CA desert and this round was the first of the season, not the last!

@af1triathlete: you make me want to come out there and try my hand at racing. Your story makes me less concerned about winding up in last place! Glad you had a good weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by rsnet View Post
    Nice, a good solid return anyhow, as I was reading the first part of 90s back I was thinking to myself' Sir Anthony needs another three laps and he's got y'a, Nice you kept him back.

I was out this weekend back to a track that the last time out in worn SC1's I had a moment at the chicane (left -right) after a straight at 270/280 Kph which had me out of the seat and feet off the pegs, in fact I smacked my shin bone on the pegs so hard it took skin off ( nothing like your injury) but what I'm getting to is the fact that when approaching that chicane in the first session I was really like a baby, the confidence takes a while to get back.

Exactly. The bike felt great -- I think I'd like more feedback on the brakes, but that's my only concern at this point. So 25 seconds slower for a 6 lap race (than I was last September (going the other direction)) isn't anything other than the rider. I was just more confident with both the track layout and I had been racing all season, and that was the entire difference between then and now, just confidence. It was coming back though, my lap times were still dropping by the end of the weekend, so I should be in a good place at the next race round in a little over two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by dazo View Post
    The CVMA series is in the southern CA desert and this round was the first of the season, not the last!

@af1triathlete: you make me want to come out there and try my hand at racing. Your story makes me less concerned about winding up in last place! Glad you had a good weekend!
    Indeed -- we race through the winter here, it's impossible to race in the summer in AZ/SoCal! And yes, I believe that it is better to have raced and lost than to never have raced at all, so come on out!
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast