Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Club Racing my 16 RR

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by aftriathlete View Post
    Hey Marcismo, welcome! Yeah I never wanted to air out my problems with the Daytona over there too much, as most owners are pretty happy with them. I just never had any feedback as to what the tires were doing, front especially. That problem has been fixed for me, and then some (a lot of some!) on the RSV4.
    I don't really blame you. It's a great bike but requires a lot of effort to make it work well. Couple that with the lack of power compared to the other 600's and you're fighting an uphill battle.

I'm not much interested in racing anymore so I want something fun. I've had the opportunity to ride a '10 and two '14 RSV4 Factory bikes on the track and each time left me with a shit eating grin! I'm absolutely in love with this bike and certainly considering one. Really want to hear your feedback on the V4 coming from a 675!

apriliaforum Junkie aftriathlete's Avatar
    The 7th and final round of ASMA Racing at Arroyo Seco Raceway in Deming NM is in the books, and my first full season of racing is now complete. Some big news from this weekend, some great results, and some big goals met and exceeded!

This round is CCW, which is actually historically about .5 sec slower for the litre bikes just because top speed on the big straight is lower due to the entry onto the straight being slower. For reference, I posted from the last round in the CW (faster) direction that I hit a 1:11.4 to win all 3 of my races. My main competition this weekend now is no longer the GSXR1000 that took 2nd behind me in all those races last round, but the 3rd place rider that rode a R6 all season until this round, but now he's on a 2015 R1. So I made it out Friday night to ride the whole practice day on Saturday, but I was dragging my tail all day from work and my 5 month old at home just wearing me down. Temps were predicted to be cooler, but excellent -- 65 Saturday, and 68 Sunday for race day. Cold mornings though, and from talking to the ESP guys, they were recommending opening C/R clickers as much as two clicks both front and rear to compensate for the cold, 45-50 deg air temps in the morning. Even in the warmest part of the afternoon, they recommended I still keep it them a click open compared to last month when afternoon highs were in the mid/high 80s. I didn't rush out for the early morning practices though, so I only wound up opening all clickers one click and calling it good for adjustments for the weekend. Cold tear on the tires is going to be a problem though as it seems the best track temp for these SC1s is in the 95-100F range. Due to my ass dragging today, I was slow getting going, and by the end of the day doing short 6-7 lap sessions, I was down a 1:12.5 best lap on last round's tires, which I'm fairly happy with. I'm big on listening to my body though, and I rarely push the pace on practice days since it's not worth the risk -- so keeping it rubber side down is a win, but it definitely does take me that little bit longer to really get up to race pace on race day with fresh tires because of it.

First race of the day is Unlimited Superstock -- it's still cool out, so I ran a little lower pressures in the Pirellis, 25r and 32f. I forgot my GoPro at home, so I don't have footage from my POV from any races, but some good videos were shared that I can share here. Good start from the 2nd row, gridded #4/6 -- went into first turn in 3rd, but on the exit of the 2nd turn, this big high side happened two bikes ahead of me. So race was red-flagged. Luckily the rider walked away with a possible broken foot, but his 2013 ZX10 was not so lucky.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt9D...ature=youtu.be

On the restart about 20 min later, I again entered the first turn in 3rd, but my main competition on the R1 was out front with a slow expert and last round's competition on the GSXR1000 between me and him. I had much better pace than both, but by the time I was able to get past both of them to have open track ahead of me in 2nd, the eventual winner was 10 sec up the road. I didn't ride to maximal the last 3 laps of the 7 considering I was locked in 2nd at that point. Crossed the line in 2nd, with a 1:11.9 best lap. I'm OK with that, considering how the race unfolded and the track still only being about 68F.

Went and got my rear tire flipped to maximize traction for the Formula race, which isn't until after lunch. The left side wasn't in bad shape, but the left had visibly more cold tear than the right.

Formula Amateur. The 12 lap race. This is the big one we all want to win. Track temp is pretty nice, low 90s. Gridded #3/8, got a pretty good start and entered the first turn in 2nd. Again, I'm incredibly strong on the brakes, so this bike is set up to be particularly strong on the brakes but not so skewed that it has big weaknesses elsewhere. This is perfect for this track though considering Arroyo is very very hard on the brakes, much harder than a track like Chuckwalla. The leader on the R1 opened as much as a 3-4 sec gap on me in the middle of the race as it was still taking a few laps to really feel confident to push, but then my 6th thru 9th laps were 1:10.7, 1:10.5, 1:10.3, 1:10.3 (!!!) and I closed all the way up to the leader's wheel on the 10th lap, aided by the leader catching lapped traffic at a disadvantageous section of the track. Tried to make the pass on the outside entering the carousel turn at the end of the long straight, considering how much stronger I was on the brakes than him, and juuuuust clipped his exhaust can with my clutch lever guard as I went by. Considering I was at the limit of traction and lean and still hard on the brakes, this sent me off track into the dirt. After making what the folks in the pits watching called a "ridiculous" save, I reentered the track and had given back 5 seconds to the leader. With only 2 laps to go at this point and 40 seconds on the 3rd place rider, I rode 1:12s the last two laps to finish 7 seconds back of the winner. But I just set the fastest lap time for an amateur all season, and it was in the slower direction for litrebikes! This is a huge deal, and despite really being disappointed I couldn't take the win, this is a great consolation prize! Here's a backward-facing video from the winner -- around 11:30 is where I just clip him and go off-road. Check out that save!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBx4...ature=youtu.be

Final race of the day, Unlimited Superbike. My main competition on the R1 didn't race, so I had no real competition in this one. Led flag to flag with 1:12s, so it's nice to end the season with a win, although it wasn't nearly as exciting as my 2nd in Formula.

So I finished the season with a 1st and two 2nds, the fastest Amateur lap time of the season despite this being the slower direction, and I've also raced my last race as an Amateur -- I'm white plates next season! I took some 3rd's for classes and wound up 4th overall Amateur points, but I switched to the RSV4 halfway through the season so I didn't wind up with many points in Middleweight or Unlimited. Lessons learned from this round are to open the clickers a click or two based on ambient air temp if it's really low enough to make the oil cold/hard; I've done my last race round with Ferodo brake pads as I only got two rounds out of this set -- there's still probably one round worth of life left on the pads, but there's already so much pad material on the rotors that the front wheel will barely turn (probably going to try Vesrah since I got some KurveyGirl.com prize money to spend with them before the end of next month); and don't try to force a pass on the outside unless it's really the last opportunity, last lap.

I'm still hopeful I'm going to be able to make it out to Chuckwalla for CVMA Round 3 two weeks from tomorrow, but I'm not positive with work expected to be very busy in those two weeks around that weekend. But I'm prepping my bike like I will make it, so getting the rotors blasted, flushing the brakes, and putting in new Vesrah pads, compounds TBD. I hope everyone else had a great season, and hopefully I have another race round to report on in two weeks. Cheers gents!

Last edited by aftriathlete; 11-17-2016 at 06:02 PM.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Good job!

That dude had a hell of a high side as well!
    WMRRA #98
    2013 KTM 990 SMT (street)
    2011 Aprilia RSV4 (race) For Sale: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ace-Track-Bike

apriliaforum Member
    Good save .
    Not so much for the kawi.

So close to getting the pass... but I could see that in transitions, he was making time on you and carried that speed on to the main straight. There's time in that area.
    --
    Track Fanatics Facebook / Events Page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/trackfanatics/
    -
    2016 RSV4 RF LE Factory #76 | 2016 RSV4 RF Factory (RACE A BIKE) | 2008 GSX-R 1000 (RACE B BIKE)
    2013 GSX-R 600 (RACE A BIKE) | 2009 GSX-R 600 (RACE B BIKE) | 2007.5 Tuono 1000R (Akrapovic pipes)

Yeah the poor guy on the ZX10 has had a rough go this second half of the season, this was his second big crash, although this one was definitely worst than the first.

I agree he can transition faster than me -- I think it's partly in the bike setup with mine being setup for braking stability bias and I would guess his is more biased towards slightly less brake stability but faster transition. He's also 40 lbs lighter than me. And the final factor being that's a really tricky section of the track, the esses leading into the straight, with some bad bumps and seams, and I just don't think I have that section nailed down yet.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Quote Originally Posted by aftriathlete View Post
    So I finished the season with a 1st and two 2nds, the fastest Amateur lap time of the season despite this being the slower direction, and I've also raced my last race as an Amateur -- I'm white plates next season!
    Awesome!

You have to nail that section because the speed he carries on to the straight is giving him a lot of his lap time on you. You should thank that guy for the video, because he just gave you a visual proof of where you need to improve.
    --
    Track Fanatics Facebook / Events Page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/trackfanatics/
    -
    2016 RSV4 RF LE Factory #76 | 2016 RSV4 RF Factory (RACE A BIKE) | 2008 GSX-R 1000 (RACE B BIKE)
    2013 GSX-R 600 (RACE A BIKE) | 2009 GSX-R 600 (RACE B BIKE) | 2007.5 Tuono 1000R (Akrapovic pipes)

apriliaforum Junkie
    MM93 fan i'm guessing?

congratulations! fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman666 View Post
    You have to nail that section because the speed he carries on to the straight is giving him a lot of his lap time on you. You should thank that guy for the video, because he just gave you a visual proof of where you need to improve.
    Yep that's a tricky section, I have to plan back thru the esses to put myself in the right position for the exit, and it continues to challenge me. I think the one time I really got it right was the lap I ran off right after!
    Quote Originally Posted by RF Pilot View Post
    MM93 fan i'm guessing?

congratulations! fun!
    MM93 fan for the up close and personal rubbing is racing kind of racing? Getting a little loose on the brakes? I'll claim the latter, but not the former -- I definitely apologized to that guy after for trying to force the pass when it wasn't the right time, I was very very lucky I didn't take him down. If I was 1" to the left the lever guard wouldn't have just grazed his exhaust, it would have nailed it when we were both hard on the brakes and leaned over. Would have been a bad day, I'm guessing.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

apriliaforum expert
    Great read...I'm picking up a well setup '13 next week.
    I'll be heading south in feb for it's lst shakedown by me.

After getting the '16 tuono this year, i had to experience the V4 on the track.

Well gents, unfortunately I didn't make it out to Chuckwalla for CVMA Round 3 this past weekend. I'm a military guy, and I'm prepping for an upcoming deployment, and I simply couldn't get away for 3 days to go race when I have a lot of work and family commitments to tend to. I won't be racing again until at least June, which is a huge bummer as I was making some huge improvements and just got promoted to Expert here a few weeks ago. But I gotta pay the bills! I'll still be checking in here on the forum from time to time, but I probably won't do much in this thread between now and when I get back and start racing again.

Keep the rubber side down gents!
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Life commitments can be a real hindrance to our hobbies & pleasure time.

Congrats on the promotion though, Expert!!
    What's the next level over there, PRO?
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum prov-nov
    plocky: We got some pros gridding up with the Experts at CVMA. Last weekend Benny Solis and David Anthony got 1st and 2nd in the Shootout where I was toward the back 18th place out of 26. What a thrill for a newb like me to be on the same track as the Motoamerica guys! At least I didn't get lapped...
    aftriathlete: I was hoping to see you, thanks for letting us know you're planning to be back!
    Last edited by Try2Bfast; 12-09-2016 at 03:23 PM.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Try2Bfast View Post
    plocky: We got some pros gridding up with the Experts at CVMA. Last weekend Benny Solis and David Anthony got 1st and 2nd in the Shootout where I was toward the back 18th place out of 26. What a thrill for a newb like me to be on the same track as the Motoamerica guys! At least I didn't get lapped...
    aftriathlete: I was hoping to see you, thanks for letting us know you're planning to be back!
    +1. Definitely awesome to be on the track with some pros....ben bostrom, aaron yayes, jason disalvo, roger lee hayden, danny eslick, josh hayes...etc.

i remember standing in line with josh hayes at road atlanta back in 95-96 maybe? Little dorky kid with glasses. Lol. Not sure if he was with the valvoline suzuki team yet or not.

Josh is one of the best race doods youd ever meet.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast