Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Club Racing my 16 RR

apriliaforum Junkie aftriathlete's Avatar
    Got my "new" used forged wheels fitted yesterday. AF1's listing for the forged wheels claims about a 6.05 lb weight savings going to forged -- I weighed on the ESP shop scale prior to fitting tires and it looks like these specific wheels come in at 5.35 lighter than the OEM cast wheels. So that's relatively close, can't complain about that .7 lbs too much I suppose. In case anyone is interested, here were the wheel weights without spacers, rotors, or cush drive: OEM cast rear 14.15 lbs, OEM cast front 8.55 lbs; forged Factory rear 10.50 lbs, forged Factory front 6.85 lbs. The rear forged weight only came in about 1 oz off AF1's estimate, but the front came in several ounces heavier. I admit though that it's possible it's because the wheel was repaired after getting dinged by the previous owner, so maybe they had to add a little aluminum for the repair. Meh, close enough, and they balanced alright. I'm gonna keep an eye out for another forged wheelset though just to have a complete backup set for track changes.

Man, I hope the blipper functionality from the newly announced 2017 bikes is going to be retro-fittable. Not holding my breath though considering they're saying the ECU is new as well. That's really the only thing the new bikes have that I would want, I actually like the dash setup the way it is with the analog tach, it's much easier to see at a glance than trying to make sense of a digital tach.

Taking the bike to ESP this evening for the suspension work -- hopefully I'll be right about at the WSSTK fork and shock length after this. I don't expect dramatic changes in handling, but I do expect some changes. It's more to address the dragging of fairings and hard parts at lean, but a taller bike should, in theory, dive a bit more on the brakes and take a bit longer to transition from side to side. But these new forged wheels should make the side-to-side transitions no problem! With that said, I'm planning to make a couple clicker changes to address the lighter unsprung weight -- I'm thinking 1 click softer/faster compression and 1 click slower/heavier rebound, based on a combination of some info I found online that Dave Moss put out and what the ESP guys recommended.
    Last edited by aftriathlete; 10-04-2016 at 05:22 PM.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Awesome thread you got going here! Can't wait to hear the rest of the seasons adventures. Good luck!

Any idea what the racing harness saved you for weight?
    --
    Track Fanatics Facebook / Events Page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/trackfanatics/
    -
    2016 RSV4 RF LE Factory #76 | 2016 RSV4 RF Factory (RACE A BIKE) | 2008 GSX-R 1000 (RACE B BIKE)
    2013 GSX-R 600 (RACE A BIKE) | 2009 GSX-R 600 (RACE B BIKE) | 2007.5 Tuono 1000R (Akrapovic pipes)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman666 View Post
    Any idea what the racing harness saved you for weight?
    I actually don't have that installed yet because they haven't made it for me yet! I have the Speedcell battery in but not the harness. Josh at Speedcell is gonna hang onto my bike for a week after the last round next month to build the harness and maybe a couple other things that he'll then have available for sale too. He's just never had his hands on a RSV4 to take measurements and do the modeling.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Well, Round 6 of ASMA Racing is in the books, and while I'm one for talking racing, I'm not one for suspense or dramatics, so I'll just put the most important news up front -- I brought home the win in all 3 races this weekend! Unlimited Superstock, Unlimited Superbike, and most importantly, Formula Amateur!

I made a pact with myself this summer that with this new bike and the far greater capability it has over my previous race bike, I would stay humble, not override my abilities, and not worry about the results or the lap times. And that has proven to be a great tact to take. I knew I had good potential this weekend after how the CVMA round out at Chuckwalla went three weeks ago, but my performance on Sunday far exceeded what I thought was possible at this point. This bike is just so good that I didn't just get up to speed quickly, but I got up to a new level of speed where I can win races against some really fast guys. And I only rode the bike for the first time ever just a month ago!

I only made it out for two sessions in Saturday afternoon practice after some work commitments kept me from driving out there Friday night. The direction this weekend was clockwise, which seems to be a bit faster than CCW for the 1000s due to the faster entry speed onto the long straight. For comparison, the last round in this direction I was still on the Daytona, and my best lap that weekend was a 1:13.7, but I was riding over the limit of the bike, and while that was my best lap thus far in this direction, I crashed shortly after hitting that lap time and didn't finish the race. In the two 15 minute practice sessions I made that afternoon on the used Pirellis SC1 slicks from Chuckwalla, I hit a 1:14.0 and was surprised to see it was that fast considering how easy I felt I was riding. The forged wheels, while only 5.3 lbs lighter than the cast, made a HUGE difference in how quickly I can transition the bike side to side as well as in later braking points. In these two practice sessions I had to recalibrate my riding to accommodate for how quickly the bike turns in, and I noticed that on a couple instances while I was still adjusting I was actually oversteering and running too tight on corner entry. I was already a demon on the brakes before this, but now I was doing things on the brakes that people were coming up to me after coming off track all weekend and commenting on how late I was able to brake. This would prove important to the results of two of the races this weekend, as I made two passes for the win on the brakes. I can't overstate how big of a difference the forged wheels made, and these were OEM Factory wheels, so I can only imagine what it would be like on aftermarket mag or carbon wheels.

First race of the day was Unlimited Superstock. The track was cool still, hovering around 76 F due to the cool overnight temps and the cloudy sky, so I knew grip was going to be slightly diminished. Gridded #5 of 8 if I remember right to start this one, I made a good jump off the line but then both wheelied and missed the upshift to second, resulting in quite a poor start. This put me back in the grips of ensuing carnage, which you can see from my vantage point in this video as well as in the second video from the rider that was the root cause of the incident. Basically, the rider on the red/white R6, who is a pretty sketchy rider, blew his braking point and was blowing the first turn. He stoppied and proceeded to barrel straight through the turn, causing me to check up. I, in the meantime, am on the right line and am at the correct entry speed, consistent with the riders in front of me. Meanwhile, behind me, another rider that is very green (second race weekend ever I believe) also blew the turn and would have just run off like the R6 did, but I was there. So his front wheel tried to occupy the same space as my back wheel, and down he went. Hard. Broken collarbone and no memory of the crash. I, luckily, just ran off the track but kept it upright, doing quite a lot of gardening before I could rejoin the track. You can only tell on the video from my camera that I was impacted from behind with just a slight wobble of the camera view before I run off. The red flag followed immediately thereafter, and we all returned to the pits and put warmers back on. My bike checked out OK, and it appeared to have been exclusively tire to tire contact, so I'm good to go for the race restart. Now I have a much better start and jump to 2nd by the first turn, but I'm passed on the brakes at the end of the long straight on the first lap by the winner of the previous several rounds worth of Amateur Formula/Unlimited. Driving onto the straight on the 2nd lap, I pass the R6 for 2nd place (the other of the 2 riders that I haven't been able to beat all year), and then 1 lap later, I pass for 1st on the brakes at the end of the long straight. I then proceeded to gap the 2nd place rider by about 3 seconds by the checkered flag at 7 laps, best lap of 1:11.7! Huzzah! (First video is my camera; second video is another guy that was in front of the chaos; third video is from the red/white R6 that caused the mayhem)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4_7...ature=youtu.be
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-hu...ature=youtu.be
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGf2...ature=youtu.be

Formula Amateur -- the race I really wanted to win. There's some money up for grabs in this one too, up to $200 of track credit for the winner, so there's extra motivation to win. This is the one race out here that matters to amateurs, and it's the main race I care about since it's the only one I've been racing all season. 12 laps instead of 7, it's also a test of endurance as yes, the laps here are relatively short, but there are several VERY hard braking points on this track, and the track is very bumpy and technical, so 12 laps is a long long race on this track. The race report for this one can be quick -- I led it from flag to flag! I started 3rd, and got the holeshot. I gapped the 2nd place rider by a few seconds after 3 laps, and feeling alone out there, admittedly my pace slackened in the middle laps of the race. Coming onto the start/finish straight at the end of the 9th lap though, someone in the stands gave me a signal that 2nd place was close on my wheel which put my ass back into gear. He was never able to show me a wheel and I wound up taking the win by about a second with my last 3 laps 1:11.7, 1:11.7, 1:11.6.

Third and final race of the day -- Unlimited Superbike. I got my rear tire flipped after Formula to give me some better traction on the left side of the tire. I was starting to slide a fair amount rolling on the throttle in Formula, so I figure this will help me get the best grip out of my rear for the last race of the day. Started the race in 4th of 4 (several crash casualties throughout the day made the grid really small, but my 2 main competitors were still out there). Hit the first turn in 2nd, and as you'll see in this Youtube footage, it was a wild race until I could get around him on the brakes at the start of the 7th/final lap. I had significantly better pace than him the whole race, especially on the brakes, but going off the race line is a huge risk on this track the seams/ripples/divots/patches/etc. As you'll see I had a TON of "oh shit" moments as I was just so much stronger than him on braking late and with higher corner entry speed that I actually had to run off the inside of Turn 1 on the start of the 2nd lap, and then several near misses throughout the race thereafter. It was a battle! And the last lap after I made the pass was a new best of 1:11.4!
    (This is unedited footage, so skip forward to 1:40 to skip the warmup lap).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6sK...ature=youtu.be

My tire wear was excellent this weekend, best I've ever had. I attribute that to the lighter wheels, the ideal track temps around 95F for the 2nd and 3rd races of the day, and to the geometry and clicker changes prior to today. As I said before, we made the bike taller with 3mm more shock length at the rear and 10mm more fork length, and I changed both front and rear clickers with 1 click softer/faster compression and 1 click slower/harder rebound due to the lower unsprung weight. All in all, a dream weekend of racing for me as my big goal for the whole season was to win Formula. Not to mention I'm a lifelong Cubs fan and by now they are headed to the NLCS!

My performance Sunday far exceeded what I thought was in the realm of possible, so I'm truly grateful that I'm both in a position to participate in this sport and that I have a trooper of a wife that let me take off for a night to go race when we have a teething 3-and-a-half month old at home!

These wins today are important to me. I've won a couple small races here and there before, but there's always been a reason to downplay them. But, out here at Arroyo these guys are fast, and the track is very very technical. So these wins feel like a bona fide accomplishment, and I'm on cloud nine!
    Last edited by aftriathlete; 10-12-2016 at 01:49 AM.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Hoot!! Well done.
    Watch out, everyone will be buying Apes to beat you with. Won't matter though, you got the jump on them.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum Junkie
    good stuff! congrats!

told you those ESP guys were legit!

apriliaforum Junkie
    Great thread thanks for posting.
    How did the valve clearance go?
    Have you been to the California Superbike School? If not i think you'd love it.

Quote Originally Posted by plocky View Post
    Hoot!! Well done.
    Watch out, everyone will be buying Apes to beat you with. Won't matter though, you got the jump on them.
    Thanks man! I actually wasn't the only RSV4 out there this weekend, a pretty decent expert rider came down from SMRI (Sandia), he wound up winning the Formula 40 I believe. But yes, all of a sudden people are taking notice of Aprilias! It's funny that guys I work with that don't ride ask me what I race on, and I say Aprilia RSV4, and 90% of them say they've never even heard of it!

Quote Originally Posted by RF Pilot View Post
    good stuff! congrats!

told you those ESP guys were legit!
    They are! They made some great changes for me for this round, I'm really happy with how the bike felt. Very predictable and great feedback. I'll post up below the new changes Evan provided me a printout of in Moto Spec.

Quote Originally Posted by paulmm600 View Post
    Great thread thanks for posting.
    How did the valve clearance go?
    Have you been to the California Superbike School? If not i think you'd love it.
    Didn't do the valve clearance check yet -- my last race round will be first weekend of December, and I won't race again until at least June (military commitments). So I'll get the valve check/adjustment done in December, I will still be under 1000 mi at that point. I've been to CSS actually, I did Level 1 and 2 back in 2014 at VIR, I learned quite a bit!

So here's the changes we made to the bike this week and the results of those changes (plus the forged wheels, which made a huge difference):
    - Increased fork length 10mm to 730mm
    - Increased shock length to 317mm
    - Swingarm length still 576mm

This resulted in:
    - Rake: 24.4 deg (changed from 24.2)
    - Ground Trail: 101.7mm (Changed from 100.7)
    - Real Trail: 92.7mm (changed from 91.9)
    - Swingarm Angle: 13.08 deg (changed from 12.42)
    - Anti-squat percentage: 104.6% (changed from 102.4)
    - Wheelbase: 1466.6mm (changed from 1463.6)

Bike felt great on the brakes, and transitioned very fast through the really tight technical sections of Arroyo. Arroyo really has the full gamut of challenges with high top speed (144 mph on GPS), very hard braking down to about 50mph from that 144, very tight technical section with two turns taken around 30 mph. And overall I can't complain on any aspect of the bike, it was very well balanced for all these different aspects. Hence the 1:11.4 best lap, which put me in the realm of the mid-to-back of expert pack on the day, which didn't even feel frenetic or urgent, it just felt like I hit all my lines and braking points.

Two more rounds now before a long layoff for me -- I hope I can stay heartbreak free and ride within my limits for the remainder of the season, and let the chips fall where they may!
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Quote Originally Posted by aftriathlete View Post
    Thanks man! I actually wasn't the only RSV4 out there this weekend, a pretty decent expert rider came down from SMRI (Sandia), he wound up winning the Formula 40 I believe. But yes, all of a sudden people are taking notice of Aprilias! It's funny that guys I work with that don't ride ask me what I race on, and I say Aprilia RSV4, and 90% of them say they've never even heard of it!
    Same happened in Canada this year. A stock engined RSV4 ended up really pushing the very best of the Pro SBK class and another ended up winning the AM SBK class with impunity here in Ontario. They were so good that guys with built-engined S1000RRs and 2016 ZX10Rs got their asses handed to them in ways that only a bike of this calibre can dish out. A complete "@#$%-you". I myself saw it first-hand when a RSV4 went by me like I was standing still in the AM category on a $50K GSX-R. My Suzukis were loose as @#$% trying to follow the pace in AM, while the RSV4 was simply on rails - TTX shock and 25mm cartridges in my bike bedamned.

But of course any bike needs a good rider, and congrats on your results.
    --
    Track Fanatics Facebook / Events Page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/trackfanatics/
    -
    2016 RSV4 RF LE Factory #76 | 2016 RSV4 RF Factory (RACE A BIKE) | 2008 GSX-R 1000 (RACE B BIKE)
    2013 GSX-R 600 (RACE A BIKE) | 2009 GSX-R 600 (RACE B BIKE) | 2007.5 Tuono 1000R (Akrapovic pipes)

So here's the changes we made to the bike this week and the results of those changes (plus the forged wheels, which made a huge difference):
    - Increased fork length 10mm to 730mm
    - Increased shock length to 317mm
    - Swingarm length still 576mm

This resulted in:
    - Rake: 24.4 deg (changed from 24.2)
    - Ground Trail: 101.7mm (Changed from 100.7)
    - Real Trail: 92.7mm (changed from 91.9)
    - Swingarm Angle: 13.08 deg (changed from 12.42)
    - Anti-squat percentage: 104.6% (changed from 102.4)
    - Wheelbase: 1466.6mm (changed from 1463.6)
    What was the front yoke offset you used? Have you changed the frame bushings?

Quote Originally Posted by tomik View Post
    What was the front yoke offset you used? Have you changed the frame bushings?
    Didn't change any frame bushings nor triple clamps. So stock clamps, steering bushing configuration, engine position, and swingarm pivot.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Didn't change any frame bushings nor triple clamps. So stock clamps, steering bushing configuration, engine position, and swingarm pivot.
    Ok, thanks. So 32mm offset? Just double checking the numbers used in Motospec.

apriliaforum newb
    Great to hear you're taking to the Ape so well and congrats on the results! I'm lurking in this forum from Triumph675.net since I am considering making the move to Aprilia.

Quote Originally Posted by tomik View Post
    Ok, thanks. So 32mm offset? Just double checking the numbers used in Motospec.
    Correct, 32mm offset. And also relevant to the rear end geometry, still running 15/44 gearing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcismo55 View Post
    Great to hear you're taking to the Ape so well and congrats on the results! I'm lurking in this forum from Triumph675.net since I am considering making the move to Aprilia.
    Hey Marcismo, welcome! Yeah I never wanted to air out my problems with the Daytona over there too much, as most owners are pretty happy with them. I just never had any feedback as to what the tires were doing, front especially. That problem has been fixed for me, and then some (a lot of some!) on the RSV4.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast