Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Club Racing my 16 RR

apriliaforum expert
    Awesome results! I had a couple good friends out there that same weekend in the Amateur Middleweight Classes (Sat 2nd, Sun 1st and 4th) and one in the Supersport Open Class (Sat - 4th, Sun - 4th). Heard the heat was just miserable!
    www.thailongly.com
    www.flickr.com/tl2bass
    @TL2Bass (Instagram/Twitter)
    2016 Tuono 1100 RR
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT 1050

Motorcycle.com Contributing Editor / Guest Tester
    www.motorcycle.com

STG Sponsored Rider
    www.sportbiketrackgear.com

apriliaforum Junkie aftriathlete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TL2Bass View Post
    Awesome results! I had a couple good friends out there that same weekend in the Amateur Middleweight Classes (Sat 2nd, Sun 1st and 4th) and one in the Supersport Open Class (Sat - 4th, Sun - 4th). Heard the heat was just miserable!
    Thanks man. Yeah I'm not too proud to say if I had known it was gonna be that hot I wouldn't have gone racing, so luckily the weather forecast didn't accurately predict how hot it was actually gonna be out there. My buddy's digital thermometer he had on the table under his canopy said 114 with the heat just radiating off the asphalt in the pits!

I paid the track photographer for track day pics on Friday because, well, this is racing, so there's always a chance this is the last time the bike is ever going to look this good. I think this pic is the coolest one ever taken of me on a bike yet!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14370258_10100255215872393_7195957188833586411_n.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	317970
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

apriliaforum expert
    That shot is tits!
    www.thailongly.com
    www.flickr.com/tl2bass
    @TL2Bass (Instagram/Twitter)
    2016 Tuono 1100 RR
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT 1050

Motorcycle.com Contributing Editor / Guest Tester
    www.motorcycle.com

STG Sponsored Rider
    www.sportbiketrackgear.com

Awesome shot, looking real good there, pro in no time.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum Member
    Great reading n pics thanks for sharing!

apriliaforum Junkie
    aftriathlete, sorry if you already mentioned, did you have to take the new racer school? i think i saw you in some video of the mock race.

good stuff btw! awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by TL2Bass View Post
    That shot is tits!
    Quote Originally Posted by plocky View Post
    Awesome shot, looking real good there, pro in no time.
    Thanks gents. I'm hoping I only have two more race rounds in the amateurs. I have some
    more goals for those next two rounds to accomplish still though, namely to win the Formula race at Arroyo where I've had a good run of 3rds.

Quote Originally Posted by RF Pilot View Post
    aftriathlete, sorry if you already mentioned, did you have to take the new racer school? i think i saw you in some video of the mock race.

good stuff btw! awesome.
    Nope wasn't me in the NRS, I raced on reciprocity with my ASMA license. I watched their mock race though, I was pretty impressed, not a single crash!
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Going a little stir crazy on this 3-week break from riding. Coming up on ASMA Round #6 this weekend though, the penultimate round for my first complete race season. I'm very fortunate to have made every round this year so far, somewhat less fortunate that I had such a crash happy first half of the season on the Daytona though. I'm currently sitting in 3rd overall in the Formula Amateur standings, which is the main thing I care about. I only crashed out of that one once this year. 5th overall Amateur, which was based on only finishing on average 3 out of every 4 races the first 4 weekends on the year. Two guys ahead of me in the overall standings race both an Open bike and an ULW bike though, so they are running away with points being able to race double the races I can. Hence why I only really care about the Formula standings. So here's to hopefully finishing out the last two rounds of the season in a much different fashion than the first two rounds!

Sent my Ohlins damper off to Kyle Racing to get revalved/refreshed this week. Considering it started its life as a 09-12 ZX6R damper off Ebay, it basically did nothing even with the adjuster turned all the way up. Now after the revalve, its so stiff it barely moves when turned all the way up. I also picked up a forged wheelset this week, so I'll be putting those on tomorrow. Got the front from a forum member here, it had a dent in the lip that was repaired by Frame Straight Systems, so I feel good about it and don't have any worries it won't perform like it should. And got the rear off Ebay, it just has a bit of cosmetic damage with a little rash to the lip, and they have a money back guarantee if it winds up not performing like it should. So I'm pretty excited to get those on this week, I just have to pick up my rotors from the shop tomorrow and have them move my Pirellis over to the new wheels from the OEM wheels. The forged wheels are the last big performance upgrade I wanted to make, and I'm really looking forward to the improvements those will yield. I'm already able to brake much later than my Amateur peers, and this will only allow me to push the markers a little further. Plus the increase in side-to-side transition speed and acceleration. ESP bead blasted the rotors, so I'll have fresh and clean rotors to put on with my new ZRAC pads. I also took a toothbrush and soapy water to my calipers this week since I just figured it's good maintenance, though it didn't need it terribly badly. Final thing this week is ESP is going to take my suspension apart to remove the spacer from the cartridges and the shock to give me more front and rear ride height, allowing me to run closer to the WSSTK settings and hopefully reduce future incidents of dragging hard parts on the track. I would hate for that to happen and it just breaks my traction enough that the bike gets tossed down the track. Plus my nice pretty paint job is already scuffed up pretty good on the belly pan, which is annoying. Although, it might be for the best, because I think freshly painted race bikes can be a bit of a curse!
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

New fairings? New leathers? Throw them on the ground and kick them around. Better for all concerned.
    --
    Track Fanatics Facebook / Events Page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/trackfanatics/
    -
    2016 RSV4 RF LE Factory #76 | 2016 RSV4 RF Factory (RACE A BIKE) | 2008 GSX-R 1000 (RACE B BIKE)
    2013 GSX-R 600 (RACE A BIKE) | 2009 GSX-R 600 (RACE B BIKE) | 2007.5 Tuono 1000R (Akrapovic pipes)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman666 View Post
    New fairings? New leathers? Throw them on the ground and kick them around. Better for all concerned.
    For sure! I'm not getting my fairings repaired and repainted this winter...I'm tired of crashing!

Nice pic aft...that corner looks fun
    WMRRA #98
    2013 KTM 990 SMT (street)
    2011 Aprilia RSV4 (race) For Sale: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ace-Track-Bike

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by aftriathlete View Post
    Final thing this week is ESP is going to take my suspension apart...
    you're not letting some guy named phil work on your bike???

Quote Originally Posted by RF Pilot View Post
    you're not letting some guy named phil work on your bike???
    Heck yeah, Phil and Evan! Evan does almost all the suspension work, so he'll probably work this task this week. Phil usually does the motor and dyno work. I love those guys, I'm lucky to live so close. You know Phil? I know he used to live in San Diego years ago.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

apriliaforum Junkie
    watch your back around those guys. i heard evan is wanted for racketeering in connection with a socal hells angels chapter. does he wear dark shades and thick beard? he has to hide facial tattoos from recognition. phil was in a mental hospital, that dude is a serious loon. he seems normal but... he worked in a few motorcycle shops and picked up the trade but was run out of town, blowing up a few bikes from shop to shop. not sure how those guys got hooked up but please don't say anything to them.

RF, thanks for the heads-up. Those are pretty serious allegations, so I won't even comment on them directly here. I will say though that I'm happy with all the work they've performed for me and they seem to be pretty standup guys that run a great shop. I will keep your comments in mind during future dealings though.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

For clarity, everyone should know that RF was just kidding about the ESP guys. So they are not actually wanted for racketeering and did not spend any time in the loony bin
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast