Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Club Racing my 16 RR

apriliaforum Junkie aftriathlete's Avatar
    Here she is on what I hope is just the first of many days in the sun.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2961.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	524.2 KB 
ID:	317198
    Last edited by aftriathlete; 09-12-2016 at 11:46 PM.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman666 View Post
    My testing went very well today as well. I would be potentially podium-worthy on my first real track day with the bike. It has stock everything including pegs. Brakes are mega - with stock pads, and I had the back end in the air several times with no ABS light that I noticed, ABS on the new bike is simply not a thing to consider from my testing today - top of third gear to 1st gear over bumps in the brake zone that had the bike standing up... no issues, no brake pressure letup.

As for power, holy hell, I swear this thing makes more power than my 08 GSX-R with motor work and full exhaust. Pulling wheelies everywhere. Going to have to develop a strategy to quell those a bit, will try and set chain length a little longer.

Congratulations on the podium finishes. They're not so easy to achieve even on the best of bikes.

What are you running for front and rear ride height? Still the same? I'm at 320mm eye to eye on the shock and 12mm to the caps in the front. I still decked out my fairing a little, even with that. :/
    Thanks for the congrats. It's still a relatively small accomplishment, but an accomplishment nonetheless and a great place to start on this new ride. As for your questions, all my setup info is in the first few posts. But I'm 316 eye-to-eye at the moment and bottom of caps are flush with the top of the triple. So your rake is likely much steeper than mine and your trail shorter. Pros and cons both ways -- right now I'm very strong on the brakes, but I may go up another mm or two in the back over the next couple rounds to find a bit more happy of a medium with maybe slightly less braking stability but a little more agility through the twisty sections where the middleweight bikes have a small advantage on me right now in the Formula race. I absolutely will not lower the front to achieve that though as, like you said, this thing already wants to drag parts and bodywork. But I highly doubt I would actually try to achieve the WSSTK shock length of 322.5 at this point with these forks -- maybe they're running fork caps or just longer forks in general, but with my current fork length my trail would be Daytona-short if I were to push it up to 322.5 in the back.

I highly recommend running the 572 swingarm length at least -- I'm at 576 and wheelies were a non-issue for me yesterday, and that's with AWC off.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

apriliaforum Member lochnessmonster's Avatar
    The bikes look great guys!!! I'm thoroughly jealous
    RSV4 RF (Superpole graphics)
    Gen 5 Viper GTS (Adrenaline Red)
    WRX STi ('08 hatch WRB/Gold BBS)
    Honda S2000 (New Formula Red)

apriliaforum Member
    Did you go with 15/44 in the gearing?

Quote Originally Posted by lochnessmonster View Post
    The bikes look great guys!!! I'm thoroughly jealous
    Thank you, sir!
    Quote Originally Posted by WAC View Post
    Did you go with 15/44 in the gearing?
    I did -- hitting 142 this weekend on long straight according to my AIM GPS, and I am just short of making the shift into 6th, so at about 13,200 or so in 5th. So I'm happy with this gearing. If anything I could have gone a bit shorter, but I'm already at 104ish for anti-squat percentage, so even shorter gearing would push that a little higher which I don't need.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

CVMA Round 1 Race Report! Man, lots to report here. Overall, great weekend though, so read on for details.

Arrived Friday morning for the track day/practice day put on by TrackDaz. Weather forecast said high of 98 Friday, 100 Saturday, and 102 Saturday. If only it had actually stayed that COOL! Chuckwalla is a high average speed track, but not a high top speed track. The turns are flowy and large radius, the track is wide, and except for 1 single turn out of 17 that's negative camber, all 16 others are banked, from +1 degree all the way up to the +10 degree Bowl, which as you can imagine is a big fast sweeping turn. Read: tire destruction, even in moderate weather conditions.

Only ridden out here once, and it was last January on my Daytona. So temps were in the 60s that weekend with track temps in the high double-digits. With that said, my best lap back then was 1:58.9. It would be so different this weekend. Riding last weekend's race tires from the ASMA weekend (Pirelli SC1 slicks with about 28 total laps on Arroyo's 1.3 mile track), my first session this morning would actually be my fastest. I was quickly comfortable with the track layout again, running a 2:02 best lap in this first session. The bike setup will be great for this track -- nothing terribly tight, good front end trail numbers to provide feedback at lean in all these big fast sweepers. Pace quickly fell off throughout the day, however, as track temps hit the high 120s. I was running 2:08s by the 6th session today and called it a day as I thought the seat time was no longer worth the risk. Wound up being rushed to get new Pirelli SC1s put on to make it to race registration and then tech inspection in the limited window they offered, especially considering the tech inspectors found that I didn't have my radiator cap drilled and wired yet. So I wrapped everything up very tired and dehydrated around 8 PM, just in time to grill some brats in the dark, pound fluids, figure out how to get the gennie and A/c running on my buddy's toy hauler he let me use, and get to bed. Luckily the Champion generator was as loud as a plane taking off and only ran for about 4 hours on a full tank of gas before it cut out for the night.

Saturday morning, I'm signed up for Am Formula Open and Am Supersport Open both today and Sunday. I elected not to go out for practice to save my rear tire for the races, considering I knew rear tire life was going to be a major issue in the heat of the afternoon. Headed out on track for the qualifying session, and as I'm entering the track, the bike stutters and won't go over 25 mph. Shit. Turn ignition off, restart, try again, same thing. Do it one more time, try again, same thing, so I pull off in the dirt and wait for the crash truck to take me back to the pits. So no qualifying time for me means I'm starting at the back of the grid all weekend. It took all of 2 minutes to figure out the problem in the pits, but longer to fix -- last night in mounting my front tire I only looked at the directional arrow on the Pirelli slicks and not at which side the TC/ABS sensor disk was on. So yeah, I had the sensor disk on the wrong side. So I did a dumb thing in my rushed and dehydrated and overheated state last night, especially considering the directional arrow doesn't even matter on Pirelli tires, they can be run both directions. Luckily, no harm, no foul. Get ready for Race 1.

Race 1 -- Amateur Supersport Open -- didn't start til 1230, so it's the heat of the day. Running 25 psi hot on the warmers for the rear, and 33 front based on local Pirelli guy's recommendation. Started 12th of 12 bikes, two wave start about 10 seconds behind the experts. Not using ALC, but my starts this weekend were great! Jumped from 12th to 5th by the first turn, picked through two more riders in front of me and was running in 3rd when one of the 2 amateurs in front of me crashed out. Wound up in 2nd, and my overall race time was faster than 5 of the experts. Best lap 1:58.6, so already faster than back in January on the Daytona!

Race 2 -- Amateur Formula Open. Air temp in the paddock is about 110F. Left side of rear tire is already mangled, so I got it flipped by the tire guy, and on advice from the ESP guys, went up to 26.2 hot rear for this race. Track temp had actually gone down about 8 deg by the start of this race to 124 at about 4:30 in the afternoon, so still insanely hot. Trade-off would be a slightly smaller contact patch, but hopefully actually more grip if it helps in not overheating the tire. Gridded 5th of 5, I got the holeshot into the first turn! I'm launching from about 7000 and am completely clutch out fairly quickly. Got passed by eventual race winner on the 1st lap, he was the same guy that finished ahead of me this morning. Took 2nd again, best lap of 1:57.0, so another 1.6 seconds faster than this morning, and my overall race time was 10 seconds faster for 6 laps. So not a race win, but it's a win!

Got a new SC1 rear put on Saturday night and got the front SC1 flipped as it still looks pretty good for tomorrow. I noticed tonight that I'm dragging my belly pan at the tail end near the rear wheel, so the unavoidable dragging problem has reared its ugly head.

Sunday Race 1 -- Amateur Formula Open. 4 guys signed up, but me and only one other guy actually gridded. There's something like 20 experts in front of us though. Track temp was 114 before the race. Got the holeshot again, and went flag to flag with it for a race win. Didn't run away from the GSXR-1000 behind me though, finished only 1.8 sec ahead of him. But even better news -- 1:56.4 best lap, and 7 sec faster race time than yesterday afternoon! Again, I caught a handful of experts.

Sunday Race 2 -- Amateur Supersport Open. Flipped the rear tire again today before this race. Track temp is now 134F, so total tire devastation. Started 6th of 6, hit the first turn in 4th, and took til the 3rd lap to make my way to 2nd place, but despite my good pace, by then the leader had too much of a gap. Lap times were slower this afternoon due to the track temp plus the 4th race on the front tire, but I still ran a great race and brought home another 2nd.

So I finished the weekend with 3 2nds and a 1st (of 2, but I'm still happy with it considering I ran my fastest laps.) Had great starts, and at this point I don't intend to even use ALC. ABS 1 makes me feel like a god on the brakes. TC was set to 2 for all races this weekend, though I will over the next few rounds work down to TC 1. AWC was off, and again, I have no plan to use this with my longer swingarm length. Regearing for this track in the future will be a good idea as I never made it above 4th gear anywhere on the track. And as I mentioned before, I need to raise the bike up front and rear -- I'm happy with its handling currently, but a little more side-to-side transition will come with the bike being higher, and most importantly, I don't want to be dragging hard parts on the track.

Going to get the rotors bead-blasted this week and put in Ferodo ZRAC pads for next race round in 3 weeks. Will likely take off the stock 09-12 ZX6R Ohlins steering damper and send it off to the Kyle Racing to get revalved as I have it turned all the way up right now and it doesn't do much. Will potentially change brake fluid and oil in the next 3 weeks as well, but I'll take ESP's recommendation on it as they have a lot of experience with the Motorex oil and Maxima brake fluid. After next round I am considering taking it in for its first valve check -- I expect mileage at that point will be somewhere around 700 miles, all track. So better safe than sorry!

Hope you guys enjoy reading this as much as I enjoy typing it. And doing it! These RSV4s are truly sublime on the track, and it's a joy racing one!

Pics to follow as I paid the track photog for the Friday track day pics.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Great write up and thanks for the update��
    2013 RSV4R APRC

Instagram: @widow_66

Great results and good information for me, as I hope to be following your success next year. I'll have to mess with AWC and am definitely doing a 520 conversion to get the longer swingarm effect. I assume you are measuring the 572mm from center to center? For me this is an issue as I need gearing for my track, and am already dealing with wheelies galore.

Thanks for the writeups, both entertaining and educational.
    Last edited by Shaman666; 09-19-2016 at 06:43 PM.
    --
    Track Fanatics Facebook / Events Page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/trackfanatics/
    -
    2016 RSV4 RF LE Factory #76 | 2016 RSV4 RF Factory (RACE A BIKE) | 2008 GSX-R 1000 (RACE B BIKE)
    2013 GSX-R 600 (RACE A BIKE) | 2009 GSX-R 600 (RACE B BIKE) | 2007.5 Tuono 1000R (Akrapovic pipes)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman666 View Post
    Great results and good information for me, as I hope to be following your success next year. I'll have to mess with AWC and am definitely doing a 520 conversion to get the longer swingarm effect. I assume you are measuring the 572mm from center to center? For me this is an issue as I need gearing for my track, and am already dealing with wheelies galore.

Thanks for the writeups, both entertaining and educational.
    576 swingarm length, made possible by just replacing the axle adjuster bolts with slightly longer ones. So $3 at the hardware store got me another 4mm. With that said, I haven't yet figured out what I'll do when I need to adjust my chain for stretch because I MAYBE have another 2 mm in the swingarm axle block channel for adjusting.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

So get the best chain I can find. Got it.
    --
    Track Fanatics Facebook / Events Page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/trackfanatics/
    -
    2016 RSV4 RF LE Factory #76 | 2016 RSV4 RF Factory (RACE A BIKE) | 2008 GSX-R 1000 (RACE B BIKE)
    2013 GSX-R 600 (RACE A BIKE) | 2009 GSX-R 600 (RACE B BIKE) | 2007.5 Tuono 1000R (Akrapovic pipes)

apriliaforum Member
    Can't wait to hit the track again.

Just comparing your suspension to mine, what do you weigh?

~S

180-183 lbs on race mornings, without gear.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Great write up and congratulations on your results!
    Back in the saddle again
    2012 RSV4 Factory (R.I.P.)
    2013 RSV4 Factory SBK SE - Akrapovic slip on (shortened), race ECU unlock, Evotech tidy tail, CRG carbon fiber brake/clutch levers, CRG bar end mirrors, Lightech Track System rearsets, Lightech axle sliders, fame sliders and chain adjusters, GB Racing case covers, 520 Driven conversion with 15t front sprocket, various carbon fiber bits, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxx View Post
    Great write up and congratulations on your results!
    Hey thanks man.

For everyone's reading pleasure, Road Racing World articles from my last two race weekends.
    http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...-seco-raceway/
    http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...at-chuckwalla/
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast