Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Club Racing my 16 RR

apriliaforum Junkie aftriathlete's Avatar

Club Racing my 16 RR

Well gents, I took my 16 RR out for its maiden voyage yesterday. Just a track day to test and tune, but my first race round on it will be next weekend at Arroyo Seco and then the following weekend at Chuckwalla. I'll try to keep each individual post short, but be prepared for verbal diarrhea considering how excited I am about this new foray into the Superbike world.

Changes to stock bike include: Moto XP Ricambi fairings with SBK 2012 paint scheme; SES fairing stay; Ferodo XRAC front pads; Ohlins steering damper off a 2012 ZX6R; Ohlins NIX30 fork cartridges; Ohlins TTX GP shock; Woodcraft everything (case covers, swingarm spools, clip-ons, Hindle slip-on, rearsets, lever guards); CRG shorty levers; Aprilia Racing Corse ECU; safety wired everything; 15/44 Superlight steel gearing + 520 chain; Speedcell battery + race harness; changed coolant to Maxima Coolaide; changed brake fluid to Maxima.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2950.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	550.6 KB 
ID:	316589Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2951-1.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	531.0 KB 
ID:	316590Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2952-1.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	533.2 KB 
ID:	316591
    Last edited by aftriathlete; 09-04-2016 at 05:29 PM.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Previous race bike was a Daytona 675, but it had a bit of a low-side problem. Screwy front geometry that never gave you any warning that you were on the limit. I've always been a bit of an Italian bike aficionado though, and have always dreamed of getting an RSV4. So the stars aligned and I wound up with a 16 RR as my new race bike. Dealer demo model, so it arrived with a hundred-ish miles on it; had it broken in and heat-cycled on the dyno prior to putting on the Corse ECU and Hindle slip-on. These are my only planned "engine mods" as it's gonna take me a while to even use all this horsepower on the track. Future "engine mods" will just include gratuitous valve checks and sticking to the race use maintenance schedule otherwise.

Stock: 174.44 hp; 76.58 tq
    Corse ECU + Hindle slip-on: 179.35 hp; 78.82 tq (Dynojet dyno; CF SAE; Smoothing 5; both runs done same day, pretty much same environmental conditions)
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Used the Aprilia World SSTK base settings as a starting point to deviate from with regards to geometry setup, but my shop here, Evan Steel Performance in Tucson runs Moto Spec software as well. And they have extensive experience with race bikes (they were the fastest privateer bike on the AMA grid back in 2010/2011) and their bikes own a handful of track records around the US these days, so I took a couple of their recommendations to deviate a bit from the WSSTK settings. You can see those settings attached here, I found them on the forum a short while back on another thread. And with that, here's my base setup I'm starting with (for reference, I'm 185 lbs without gear):

Shock: Ohlins TTX GP -- C36/R6 valving; 105 N/mm spring; Shock Length 316 mm
    Forks: Ohlins NIX30 Cartridges; C5/R3 valving; 10.5 N/mm springs; Fork Length 720 mm; Fork Position 0 (top of tubes/bottom of caps flush with top triple); Oil Level 170
    Steering Head Bushes/Swingarm Pivot/Engine Position: stock
    Swingarm Length: 576 mm
    Calculated Trail: 102.3 mm
    Calculated Real Trail: 93.1
    Swingarm Angle: 12.9 deg
    Anti-squat Percentage: 104.0
    Wheelbase: 1467.3 mm
    Rider Sag: 30 rear; 38 front

You'll notice I didn't go up to the WSSTK shock length of 322, but the reason for that is that they must be running longer fork length in WSSTK. At some point in the next couple months I may have the ESP guys check the forks to see if there's more length to be gained by removing a spacer, but as it is with this fork length at a shock length of 322 the rake would have been very steep and the trail quite short. So for now, we'll go with this, I just hope I can avoid the problem others seem to have when the bike isn't extremely tall, which is dragging fairings and other stuff. We were able to get to 576 swingarm length by changing out the rear axle adjustment screws for longer ones. So I expect I won't have much problems with wheelies! Reason for going longer than 572 is because apparently 572 is actually still quite short by Superbike standards, so a couple bolts from the hardware store is all it took to get another 4mm. It's truly as long as you can go though, I think I have about 2 mm left of adjustability in the swingarm to tighten the chain up as it slackens.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2880.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	316587
    Last edited by aftriathlete; 09-06-2016 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Added Sag numbers
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Previous best lap at Arroyo on my 2010 Daytona was a 1:13.6, for future reference. Of course, I crashed out of that race after that lap when I lost the front without warning yet again.

Ran the Supercorsa SPs on the warmers for the first 4 sessions before lunch yesterday to just start getting used to the bike. Hot pressures were 27r/32f. They performed admirably for a slow to mid-pack intermediate kind of pace, and at the end of the day I wound up selling them to a guy for $60, so win! APRC settings were ABS1, TC 4, WC off, and T setting. Lap times were hovering around 1:20 before lunch, but I'm OK with that considering this bike has 60% more hp than my previous bike -- I need to play it smart and take my time getting comfortable with this new beast. Put on a set of Pirelli Superbike slick takeoffs at lunch so I could do at least a couple sessions on race tires before the race round next weekend. Did just two sessions after lunch for two reasons -- the first being that I was knackered, considering it was 90 and humid out and I didn't get much sleep the night before due to a 4 AM wakeup to make it out to the track by the riders' meeting; second reason is that I need to ride these takeoffs for the practice day next Saturday, so I need to save some rubber. Got down into the high 1:18s on the second session this afternoon though.

So let's get to it. What did I think? In a word... incredible. The bike feels very balanced, and it doesn't feel an ounce heavier than my Daytona even though I know it actually is about 30 lbs heavier. It transitions as fast as I could want it to from side to side. Front end feel is what I always wanted out of a race bike, especially on the brakes. It's RIDICULOUS on the brakes -- I was braking deeper than a fast expert out here, he came up to me after a session and said "man you were crazy on the brakes!" So that's the calipers being amazing, the XRAC pads, and most importantly the front end geometry. Still nowhere near race pace/race intensity today, but I could actually feel what the front tire was doing and was even able to react to the front starting to push and save it without drama, which would have been low-side city on the Daytona. Initial throttle opening on T mode is much MUCH softer than on the Daytona, so it's really nice and easy to roll on when leaned over. I don't expect I'll go up to R mode since the only difference is the further reduced engine braking -- I liked the amount of engine braking T mode offered, and I like to have a little bit to keep the rear end in line when hard on the brakes anyways. As for suspension changes, again for being nowhere near race pace yet, I might need to add a turn or two to front preload because I'm already pushing the zip tie down close to the bump stop on the brakes. But that should be no problem since I started the day with only 9 mm of preload. Admirable performance from the stock slipper clutch -- honestly it performs better than the high dollar EVR slipper clutch I had on my Ducati 999 track bike last year. And let's be honest -- this thing has power for days. It accelerates like a rocket ship. I realize the negative connotation associated with the word, but saying it goes like a raped Ape is apropos.

I have a bit of oil leaking from near/around the stator wires -- most likely the same issue everyone else has had with the oil wicking through the wires. So I probably won't do anything about it for now, as long as enough doesn't start coming out to make any of my control or tire surfaces slick. I had a bit on my boot, so that's a small concern. I'll clean it up this week and just keep an eye on it for now.

More to follow after my first race round on it next weekend. Cheers!
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Interesting. I am nowhere near as far along as you are, yet.

My initial setup is 320mm eye to eye and 12mm fork above the triple. I set to 34mm sag front and 25mm sag rear. Added a lot of compression and rebound damping but will likely work my way backwards some from there. I was running somewhere in or about 2:15 at Calabogie with stock plastics, so was not pushing (hey, 126km on the odometer at the *end* of my test runs) but was right in the thick of the "fast group" which was a few pro racers on 600s and a fast dude on a new R1 before one of them did a suicide pass on me and I decided that binning my dead-stock bike when case protection, frame sliders etc. are on order is a bad idea, so broke out the 600.

I am out of spring in the front (literally, used all the preload) but not in rear. Before the bike hits a race I will move to at least 115 springs in the front. I am 187 out of gear. Note that this is my RF, not a RR.
    --
    Track Fanatics Facebook / Events Page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/trackfanatics/
    -
    2016 RSV4 RF LE Factory #76 | 2016 RSV4 RF Factory (RACE A BIKE) | 2008 GSX-R 1000 (RACE B BIKE)
    2013 GSX-R 600 (RACE A BIKE) | 2009 GSX-R 600 (RACE B BIKE) | 2007.5 Tuono 1000R (Akrapovic pipes)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman666 View Post
    Interesting. I am nowhere near as far along as you are, yet.

My initial setup is 320mm eye to eye and 12mm fork above the triple. I set to 34mm sag front and 25mm sag rear. Added a lot of compression and rebound damping but will likely work my way backwards some from there. I was running somewhere in or about 2:15 at Calabogie with stock plastics, so was not pushing (hey, 126km on the odometer at the *end* of my test runs) but was right in the thick of the "fast group" which was a few pro racers on 600s and a fast dude on a new R1 before one of them did a suicide pass on me and I decided that binning my dead-stock bike when case protection, frame sliders etc. are on order is a bad idea, so broke out the 600.

I am out of spring in the front (literally, used all the preload) but not in rear. Before the bike hits a race I will move to at least 115 springs in the front. I am 187 out of gear. Note that this is my RF, not a RR.
    You just reminded me to put my sag numbers in the post above: I had 30 rear/38 front before changing any preload this week. More sag than I was running on my Daytona, but the ESP guys told me they would run a little more on a superbike than on a middleweight bike anyways, and even a little more because Arroyo Seco is bumpy as shit. Bumpy is probably an understatement, there's some seriously bumpy woopy sections. I'm going to talk to the ESP guys about maybe running less sag front and rear at Chuckwalla since the track surface is so much newer and smoother than Arroyo. I'm talking out of my ass because I don't have the Moto Spec here, but I would guess with your shock length and fork position you are running pretty short trail. How short I'm not sure, but like I said above I'm running 316 shock length and forks flush and I have 102, which I believe to actually be on the short-ish end of the range you would want for a big bike (I think 100-102 is normally considered a sweet spot for middleweight bikes). So I would guess you are shorter than that. But hey, if it feels good to you, that's what matters. There'd be advantages to running steeper rake on certain tracks I'm sure too, like maybe one without any really hard 150-to-30 kinds of braking sections and a more flowy track layout. Not sure, but there's a chance your fork length is different from mine also if you are running the stock Ohlins and I have the cartridges.

I'm sure you're feeling some weirdness from having your front preload maxed out -- I got into the higher end of my front and rear preload on the Daytona, and it definitely affects the dynamic geometry.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

apriliaforum Junkie VoyagerDude's Avatar
    Great looking bike!

And the 5.56 ammo cases are a nice touch, LOL.
    2005 Ducati 749S
    2016 Aprilia RSV4 RF #109/200

Quote Originally Posted by aftriathlete View Post
    I have a bit of oil leaking from near/around the stator wires -- most likely the same issue everyone else has had with the oil wicking through the wires. So I probably won't do anything about it for now, as long as enough doesn't start coming out to make any of my control or tire surfaces slick. I had a bit on my boot, so that's a small concern. I'll clean it up this week and just keep an eye on it for now.
    Nice looking race bike.

You tried rerouting the wires as per Confirmed fix for oil wicking thru stator wires

I did, problem solved.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

Quote Originally Posted by plocky View Post
    Nice looking race bike.

You tried rerouting the wires as per Confirmed fix for oil wicking thru stator wires

I did, problem solved.
    Thanks man. I saw that thread and I believed I had routed the stator wires vertical enough, but now looking back at it again I definitely don't have them as vertical as Amauri has them in his pictures. So I need to readdress. The problem originally is that the stator-to-voltage regulator wires are JUST long enough for me to route the wiring up top to mount the VR up on the fairing stay. So I have to look again if I have enough slack to improve the issue at all. I can't guarantee it's not coming from the stator cover itself, since it sounds like Aprilia just uses tube sealant on that and not an actual gasket. So I'm going to pick up a spare clutch pack here soon anyways, and I'll be grabbing one of the stator cover gaskets that AF1 sells.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Quote Originally Posted by VoyagerDude View Post
    Great looking bike!

And the 5.56 ammo cases are a nice touch, LOL.
    Thanks, they're full of rocks! Great bike choice, btw -- I just sold my 999 this summer, it was truly a great bike but for my racing purposes it didn't really class any more. A 749, on the other hand, would still be competitive in the middleweights or maybe even lightweights depending on your race org.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aftriathlete View Post
    I can't guarantee it's not coming from the stator cover itself, since it sounds like Aprilia just uses tube sealant on that and not an actual gasket.
    The sealant on the stator cover does not leak (unless someone took it apart and re-applied it wrong).

The special gasket AF1 sells is simply a convenience and not a fix for a leak problem.
    If you are worried about the sealant on the cover, then you should also worry about the same sealant applied between the upper and lower crankcase halves.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    If you are worried about the sealant on the cover, then you should also worry about the same sealant applied between the upper and lower crankcase halves.
    I am! Who isn't? I say that in jest, I just mean it's difficult to tell at a quick glance exactly where it's coming from, if it's coming from the wires or somewhere else in the vicinity of the wires. The gasket only runs $19 I think so it will be a cheap swap if it comes down to it. No good reason to think its th stator cover leaking really other than just the possibility that it could. I'll clean it up this week and try to reroute the stator wires first.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Went back at the stator-to-voltage regulator wiring today -- I wound up routing it up and over the back side of the ABS unit, so it's as vertical as I can get it coming out of the stator. Cleaned up the area and definitely can't see a clear spot where the oil was coming from, so we'll see if this fixes it.

In other news, was talking to the ESP guys today, and pretty good chance I'll go up in front preload this weekend and run a little less front sag. 38 front sag is on the high end of the range anyways, and I'm on the low end of the preload adjustment right now, so it should drama free dropping the front sag down to about 35 which should help keep me off the bump stop (not that a zip tie on the forks is a great indicator of what the forks were doing the whole way around the track, it only gets the deepest stroke it hit on the whole track, but regardless 35 is a good front sag anyways, so it's worth the change.)

Separate issue -- looks like I'll be going to ZRAC pads after these XRACs. Ed at AF1 confirmed for me today that they aren't carrying the XRACs any more because they've been replaced by the ZRACs. Shouldn't be too big of a change though as everything I've seen on them has said it's just slightly more initial bite but then they behave the same way the XRACs do beyond that.

Fitted hopefully my final set of yellow plates today, a no-frills set from CKruzel at Drippin Wet. I was #1 overall amateur going into the last ASMA round back in June, but a fateful crash filled day on the Daytona dropped me from the running. But still shooting for white plates by the end of the year, at which point I'll be placing an order for a more fancy and personal set of Drippin Wet numbers.

Will be doing a Motorex oil change with an OEM filter tomorrow. Motorex 10W-60 was recommended to me due to the really high operating temps of our V4s. Apparently it's popular on the Motoamerica grid -- the price reflects that, $68 for 4 liters, which hurts a bit. I also have to go to the local Ape dealer tomorrow for the filter since I can't run my Hi-Flo filters at Chuckwalla next weekend (new rules this year as fallout from the K&N chaos last season, no aftermarket oil filters of any brand allowed.)

Is it Saturday yet?
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

So first race weekend in the books, and what a success it was! Like I mentioned above, the first half of the season was defined by low-sides for me. The Daytona I was racing just never gave me any warning when it was on the limit, both front and rear, but particularly front. So my only goal for this weekend was just to make progress getting comfortable on the bike and NOT CRASH.

On Saturday, temps in the afternoon hit around 88 F. I actually slept pretty well last night because for the first time I wasn't putting pressure on myself to perform given I really had bought into my goal for the weekend of not crashing. Riding Pirelli Diablo Superbike slick takeoffs (SC1/SC1) with 30 race laps and two track day sessions on them today necessitated being conservative also. As I mentioned above, I wound up putting two turns of preload into the front to keep me a little further up in the stroke given my front sag numbers in the high-ish end of the range anyways, and that's the only change made to the base settings that the ESP guys gave me. By the end of the day today, I had run a good handful of 1:17.0s, so already better than last weekend, but still quite a ways off my previous race pace. Nevertheless, I was happy with the progress made today, and the seat time was invaluable.

Race day on Sunday, I again slept surprisingly well for the night before a race. The pre-race jitters wound up hitting me about an hour before race time though, but I was alright with that. Only change to the bike this morning was the fresh Pirelli race rubber (again, SC1/SC1 compounds), so today is my first race day ever on Pirellis just having raced on Dunlops in the past. I also took the spring retainers out of my front calipers as two guys with M50 calipers mentioned to me that they were probably to blame for my extremely fast front pad wear I noted last night. 3 races today: Formula Amateur and then two races I haven't yet run, which are Unlimited Superstock and Superbike.

Didn't go out for morning warmup to save my race grip for the races. First race of the day, Unlimited Superstock, I was gridded #6/8. Didn't use ALC or AWC all day today, and coincidentally this wound up being my best race start of the day just by dumb luck I think. Made my way into the first corner in 3rd, and then rode a lonely 3rd for the rest of the race to finish on the podium with a best lap of 1:13.7. If you read above, you'll see that that already matches my best race lap on my Daytona! So I'm already up to speed to where I was on a bike I had raced for 6 rounds! The Pirellis gripped admirably -- no slide was apparent with ATC on 2.

Second race, Formula Amateur. This is the "money" race for amateurs, so it's the big one. I gridded #4 of 10. Wheelied on the start and chopped the throttle a bit, putting me into the first corner in 5th. Chased the carrot in front of me for 2 laps before he retired from the race for some reason, and then went after the next carrot for the next 7 laps. On lap 10 of 12, I made a monster braking effort to pass on the inside going into Turn 1, and he told me afterwards that he was caught off guard because he didn't even know I was there. As my races usually go, my fastest laps tend to be my last laps (I'm a fitness junkie), so sure enough, I ticked off a 1:13.6, 1:13.5, and a 1:13.4 for my last 3 laps to take the 3rd and get on the podium again. And a new personal best lap time again!

Final race of the day, Unlimited Superbike. Tires now have 21 laps on them, so I know the best grip has gone. Gridded 5th of 7, entered the first turn in 3rd, passed for 2nd on the brakes at the end of the long straight on Lap 4 (noticing a trend here? The brakes on this thing are MONSTER), then finished the race in 2nd. Ran all 1:14s in this one as the best race grip was gone and I knew I had 2nd locked up with the winner off in the distance, but I'll take it!

So 3 races, 3 podiums. Small grids here, especially in Amateur, but if I keep this up I might only have two more rounds here as an Amateur. I get a third straight weekend in the saddle this upcoming weekend though out at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway, which I'm very excited about. The surface at Arroyo is in such bad shape and it's so technical and tight that it tends to produce very fast racers when they can get out on a track with a better surface with more "conventional" race lines, so I feel like I could have very good potential out there. Plus it's a cool track layout, more flowy and fast with less "park it" kinds of braking zones than Arroyo where I would characterize 3 of the 13 turns on the 1.3 mile track are very hard braking zones from very high down to very low speeds. Although, it seems my biggest advantage this weekend was the brakes as every pass I made was on the brakes. So soon enough I'll get my corner speed up too and it'll be a very strong package. There was a bit of yo-yo'ing out there racing middleweight bikes when they were navigating the very tight and technical part of the track faster than I but then the top speed and big braking section of the track was where my big advantage was. So ABS set on 1 is no joke! I'm already through a set of XRAC front pads, and will be putting on a new set of ZRACs this weekend.

Cheers gents, hope y'all are getting out this week to enjoy yours. More race report after this weekend at Chuckwalla!

Last edited by aftriathlete; 09-12-2016 at 10:38 PM.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

My testing went very well today as well. I would be potentially podium-worthy on my first real track day with the bike. It has stock everything including pegs. Brakes are mega - with stock pads, and I had the back end in the air several times with no ABS light that I noticed, ABS on the new bike is simply not a thing to consider from my testing today - top of third gear to 1st gear over bumps in the brake zone that had the bike standing up... no issues, no brake pressure letup.

As for power, holy hell, I swear this thing makes more power than my 08 GSX-R with motor work and full exhaust. Pulling wheelies everywhere. Going to have to develop a strategy to quell those a bit, will try and set chain length a little longer.

Congratulations on the podium finishes. They're not so easy to achieve even on the best of bikes.

What are you running for front and rear ride height? Still the same? I'm at 320mm eye to eye on the shock and 12mm to the caps in the front. I still decked out my fairing a little, even with that. :/
    Last edited by Shaman666; 09-12-2016 at 08:37 PM.
    --
    Track Fanatics Facebook / Events Page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/trackfanatics/
    -
    2016 RSV4 RF LE Factory #76 | 2016 RSV4 RF Factory (RACE A BIKE) | 2008 GSX-R 1000 (RACE B BIKE)
    2013 GSX-R 600 (RACE A BIKE) | 2009 GSX-R 600 (RACE B BIKE) | 2007.5 Tuono 1000R (Akrapovic pipes)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast