Thread: Scarabeo 200 Brake noise.

apriliaforum newb

Scarabeo 200 Brake noise.

My first post: Apologies if this has been covered. I did not see it. My Scarabeo 200 brakes make a noise when applied. Even when the bike is not moving. It is not a scraping noise but more of a type of noise as if there was little fluid but both cylinders are full. It never made this noise before and the breaks seem to work fine. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks...

How are they making noise when the bike isn't moving? If the brake levers are firm when pulled, although the left one is always a bit spongy, and the brakes are working fine then there shouldn't be a problem. Are the pads new or original?

Sp56

apriliaforum newb
    Its not a scraping or pad issue. Is there some kind of hydraulic pump that can be ready to go? Even when the bike is idle it makes a noise. Both levers. A 2009 with only 650 miles.

I apologize but I cannot imagine what noise would be coming from the brakes. If this noise is loud enough to concern you even with the engine running perhaps you should get a professional to have a listen. I am interested in what this could be and perhaps someone else has some insight. Keep us advised as it could help someone in the future.

Sp56
    Last edited by Southpaw56; 09-05-2016 at 03:16 PM.

apriliaforum Member
    does the bike start without having to press the brake level? If so the ignition button is busted in the inside and is engaging the starter.

apriliaforum newb
    Just tried, it actually starts when I pull brake lever, even before I hit ignition button. So it must be the starter I hear.
    Last edited by restand; 09-05-2016 at 05:49 PM.

apriliaforum newb
    Replaced starter button for $13.00. Everything is normal now.

apriliaforum newb
    Same problem here - thanks Fresno for the diagnosis.
    Treatment of starter switch with CorrosionX was curative as well'

apriliaforum newb

Angry Same issue, thought it was hydraulic noise!

Quote Originally Posted by restand View Post
    My first post: Apologies if this has been covered. I did not see it. My Scarabeo 200 brakes make a noise when applied. Even when the bike is not moving. It is not a scraping noise but more of a type of noise as if there was little fluid but both cylinders are full. It never made this noise before and the breaks seem to work fine. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks...
    I have a 2009 Scarabeo 200 and it suddenly produced this bizarre noise yesterday. Does anyone know if it is safe to ride to my repair shop?! It does seem to still brake normally, but now I am thinking it is spinning the starter with any sort of pull on either brake handle. I hope someone on this old thread gets notified of this comment, otherwise I can start a new thread. I am not that handy and doubt I could replace the starter button myself. Of course, the OE starter button cover fell off so this starter button has already been replaced once, at about 6,000 miles.

apriliaforum newb
    I am having this same issue suddenly, wondering if it is safe to ride to repair shop or do I have to have it towed. It spins up something with each pull of either brake handle. I also did a quote reply hoping that this old thread can come back to life. Or I can post a new thread.

apriliaforum prov-nov Pinkscoot's Avatar
    For both of you its the starter switch, its stuck on. They are cheap and easy to replace. I had the problem when a previous owner replaced the starter switch with an on off switch. I had to remember to turn it off after I started the scoot.
    Italian scoots owned: 2003 Scarabeo 150, 1998 Italjet Velocifero, 2009 Vespa GTS 250, 2012 Vespa S50, 2007 BV 250, 1977 150 Sprint Veloce (future project) and Vespa ET2 (future project)

apriliaforum newb
    Many thanks Pinkscoot! This is my third starter button now, but this was the first time that it was spinning up the starter with each pull of the brake handle. The starter button was cheap as you said, but my local Aprilia dealer killed me with their "diagnostic" labor charge that was over $100!! I would have felt better send the diagnostic labor charge to you!!