Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Aprilia make a new sport tourer?

Should Aprilia make a new sport tourer?

Ok, I just want to preface this by saying I'm not critisizing Aprilia or anyone who wants to disagree. I've kept lurking since I sold my Tuono but havent been on an Aprilia in about 2 years. If you have a more enlightened opinion, I'd very much like to hear it especially from this enthusiast community.

Now heres my story/proposition,

I have loved Aprilia ever since I bought my first 1000 cc streetbike back in 2011. I was a relatively new rider but was tired of working on my 1979 Yamaha XS750 that I had turned into a cafe racer and wanted something modern to ride. Went to test ride an FZ1, but saw an orange bike tucked away with all the used ones at that dealer. The salesman wheeled it out and I fell in love, it was a 2007 Tuono. I test rode one and that was it, I was sold on Aprilia from then on. I had that Tuono for awhile, eventually I upgraded to a Tuono V4R. I loved them both but with the addition of a wife and house, desired a bit more touring capability and practicality. Right now I own an old Honda VFR and a new Yamaha Super Tenere. They are both great bikes in their set roles but I would lov ande to split the difference between the two.
    Recently, KTM introduced the Super Duke GT. Tons of power, side bags, wind protection, bigger fuel tank, electronic everything and better pillion accomodations. I have been waiting on Aprilia to maybe do something similar with the Tuono, but havent been able to find any news or even any interest in a bike like that. My question to this forum is, would you all support Aprilia developing and offering a bike like this? If you have any insight into this topic add it. Thanks for reading.

http://www.apriliausa.com/motorcycle...abs-rally.html

http://www.apriliausa.com/motorcycle...avel-pack.html

There ya go. It's a very underappreciated bike. Would've been nice with the V4...
    2015 Aprilia Caponord 1200
    1999 Ducati 748

Not unless they want to sell a bunch...
    JD

'01 Futura

They definitely could/should do one. The Tuono with some big tweaks or even a new bike based on the Caponord would be the way to go. The new Ducati SS could be something to target
    Current bikes - 2012 Tuono V4

Blog/Website - www.onthebackwheel.com

But they already make one as pointed out, in the Caponord.
    2013 Tuono APRC ABS
    1982 LeMans Mk3

Always leave people better than you found them!
    Ever wondered what your life would be like if you chose trust rather than fear?

Quote Originally Posted by OZSLR View Post
    But they already make one as pointed out, in the Caponord.
    The Caponord is surpringly underrated. Great bike, heaps of fun and great for sport touring.

- Tim

2015 Piaggio Fly 150 - "It's small and white?"
    2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory - holy crap
    2015 Aprilia Caponord Travel Pack - very red
    2003 Moto Guzzi California Titanium - DungeonMaster's old steed

Quote Originally Posted by laker213 View Post
    The Caponord is surpringly underrated. Great bike, heaps of fun and great for sport touring.
    I'm sure the caponord is a solid bike. I test rode one. It just didn't have the soul that the Tuono has. I guess that's what I'm really after, a sort of "Tuono GT" like the I REALLY want a V4 again. I also considered a Tuono and modding it for touring but it was prohibitive in cost and practicality. The seat (passenger) and fuel range were the main issues.

Quote Originally Posted by KOCONUT View Post
    I'm sure the caponord is a solid bike. I test rode one. It just didn't have the soul that the Tuono has. I guess that's what I'm really after, a sort of "Tuono GT" like the I REALLY want a V4 again. I also considered a Tuono and modding it for touring but it was prohibitive in cost and practicality. The seat (passenger) and fuel range were the main issues.
    Understood. I drove to the dealership on my TV4, took the Capo for a long test ride and thought it was boring. Took a few more rides and still wasn't convinced, even though I purchased it, wanting a touring bike that handled well. Then I had the 17t front sprocket replaced with a 16t and put it in sport mode. It's a beast now. Is it a V4? No, but it certainly has the heart of soul of my old TV2. If you can spend some time on one with the smaller front sprocket you may be surprised, or maybe not.

- Tim

2015 Piaggio Fly 150 - "It's small and white?"
    2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory - holy crap
    2015 Aprilia Caponord Travel Pack - very red
    2003 Moto Guzzi California Titanium - DungeonMaster's old steed

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    I think the Tuono V4 1077cc or what is called the 1100cc motor should most definitely be used to make a modern version of the Futura. I also think Aprilia should look very seriously at a parallel twin based on the V4 structure as well as a single. While sport touring bikes are great it is already a saturated market, the lowest hanging fruit in the industry right now is also the model type which Aprilia is traditionally best at designing and building, the 250-550cc small bore. Sure there a few options right now, but imagine if Aprilia put real resources into say a 500cc super light sport and naked bike....
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

I recently rode the latest Caponord back-to-back with the latest Multistrada. I rode each about 50 miles, not around the block.
    The Multi is faster, but for how these bikes are actually ridden I liked the Capo much better, especially the engine personality.
    A finish is a win! Moderation is the key! More wine!
    And never lend a faggot your hat

Proud Member of Team Punisher and The Texas Mile 200 MPH club
    Motorcycles are not just fun toys. They are a catalyst for the enjoyment of life. - NaimChase
    When you ride a bike that tries to crawl out from underneath you at 150MPH with a slight twist you know you're on the right path. - TRexRacing

Tim, I have wondered for quite some time how the new Nord would behave with a little tweaking to the stock gearing. A few years ago, I saw the review video with Tor. Holy crap, that 1200 was grunting away at low, low, revolutions in the review!

She sounded like a bulldog in a tug of war! (Had a few bulldogs over the years for comparison purposes of course!)

Still, though the new Capo looks quite interesting in person, fun to see all the mechanicals in the open, I just can't acclimate with the aesthetics of the beast. She is begging for some bodywork like the original Caponord.

The current Caponord fits better as an "adventure" bike, having the mechanicals in the open fits with that concept, as its taller overall geometry. The engine is excellent in this role, I'd guess even better with the front sprocket change.

I'm a bit biased, having gone from the Honda CBX, quite arguably the finest "sport tourer" of its time, definitely the original of the species, to the Futura. Definitely, aprilia got things just right, even more so with its excellent seat and accommodating pillion. The street performance aspect in the twisties, the sport aspect of the Futura design, is just about right.

If anyone remembers the Pichler fairings made for BMWs in the 1980s, some custom bodywork for the 1200 sure would be nice. Perhaps this would round out the "touring" part, at least for me. The new Capo is a different overall machine than a true sport tourer, with excellent qualities of course. Sure would like to take one on the old logging roads.

Bob

I'm cool with the Caponord idea. Just make it 30kg lighter and 30mm shorter and maybe more people would buy it?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hi All - I am also a former tuono rider - looking for a GT - contemplating the KTM superduke GT - but also considering an V4 1100 RR for the purpose - for a long 4000 mile european continental ride this autumn.

Big tall screen, slightly higher gearing (to get the touring mpg), pirelli angel gt tyres, comfy gel seat, hand guards, garmin bracket, hard panniers and a top box....could be worth it....

I have regretted selling my original tuono everyday....
    REGS
    London Tuono rider

apriliaforum Junkie
    A Tuono 1100 GT would be fantastic!
    2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100
    2016 BMW S1000XR (2)
    2013 BMW K1600GT

apriliaforum expert GreaseSnake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    I think the Tuono V4 1077cc or what is called the 1100cc motor should most definitely be used to make a modern version of the Futura. I also think Aprilia should look very seriously at a parallel twin based on the V4 structure as well as a single. While sport touring bikes are great it is already a saturated market, the lowest hanging fruit in the industry right now is also the model type which Aprilia is traditionally best at designing and building, the 250-550cc small bore. Sure there a few options right now, but imagine if Aprilia put real resources into say a 500cc super light sport and naked bike....
    And a 750-900 superlight D/S. 145kgs and 90hp would be good
    1999 Mille, 2008 Tuono Factory, 2007 Tuono R, 2007 Tuono Factory, 2014 Tuono V4R aprc abs, 1999 RS250 MK2

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast